“Great place to stay”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Garibaldi
Vermont
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My daughter, friend and I stayed here for three days. It couldn't have been a more pleasant experience. Gene and his staff went out of their way to make it a success. Even going so far as to allow us use of the freezer to prepare the fish we caught for packing to take back home.

The rooms were beautiful and well sound isolated. The breakfast was a delicious buffet of hot and cold items that was more a restaurant than a B&B. And Gene put out little goodies during the day and evening to enjoy. A large clear plastic container of ice water with cucumber slices was always available and surprisingly good.

We couldn't have been more pleased with our stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Nice hotel with a friendly staff. The beds were comfortable. They have an excellent hot & cold breakfast buffet which is included with your room price. And not just the regular free breakfast fare, I'm talking the usual stuff AND great additions like Frittatas and build-your-own breakfast burritos. Plus they have a snack "happy hour" around 3 or 4 in the afternoon each day. Sometimes it is just a simple cheese, salami and cracker tray (but excellent Tillamook cheese, of course!) and sometimes they go all-out with Pulled Pork Sliders. Oh, and a popcorn machine in the lobby so you can grab a bag of free popcorn to take back to your room. :-)

They also have a nice little heated pool and hot tub and a small fitness center.

My only disappointment, and it was minor, was they charge you a little extra (I think only like $10 per night) if you want a room with a "view." Yes, you can see the bay/ocean from the room but it is after you scan across the parking lot, the gas station across the street, the docks and the shrimp processing plant (I posted a pic of the view from our room). So I don't think it was worth the little bit extra but hey, they are there to run a hotel and I've been in hotels with far worse views that charged extra for it.

Room Tip: It might not be worth it to you to pay a little extra for a room with a view. See the end of my rev...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Salem, OR
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We enjoyed our time at Garibaldi House Inn & Suites very much. Disappointed in not having a view, but my request for a top floor room was immediately met. Very clean, wonderful bedding, and the most friendly room attendant. We did not try the breakfast as we were on our anniversary trip and slept in too late, but we did enjoy the afternoon snacks. We will stay there again and perhaps request a "bay view" room.

Try the bar/restaurant right across the street, Hook, Line, and Sinker. Friendly owners, great staff, and wonderful broasted chicken!

Room Tip: If you want a view ask for one of the "bay view" rooms. They are at the front so may be n...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Santa Clarita, California
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I arrived at 1120 pm, tired after a long drive. I booked the room through Hotels.com for $105 a fair price in my opinion, taxes included. When I was handed the nightly bill at the front desk I was surprised to see a price of $149. I was tired so I almost missed the price change. I said, this is not correct and the clerk said the price I booked it for was too low. I showed her my hotels.com reservation number and the price on my phone and she said, could not honor this price as per the owner "gene". I advised her that she should not do this as I was sure it was a breach of contract with hotels.com and she told me she had this happened earlier and "gene" would not budge. The earlier couple paid the higher price. I then complained yet again and she told me there was an econolodge down the street.

I then called hotels.com. The operator told me that she would contact the hotel. I heard the phone ring within 1 minute and a hushed tone at the counter. Hotels.com then transferred me to a higher level of service. The hotels.com operator said that as per their contract with Garibaldi House they would fine the hotel $1000 if they did not honor the price of $105. She told me would contact the desk to advise them of the $1000 fine. I again heard the phone ring at the desk of the hotel, followed by another hushed conversation. I was then approached by the hotel clerk and told the price I received from hotels.com would be honored.

Shame on the owner of this hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
11 Thank james O
garibaldihouse, Owner at Garibaldi House Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
We owe this reviewer an apology. Not for some alleged "bait and switch" as he inferred, but for allowing him to get caught in the middle of a frustrating and confusing format transition with Expedia Partner Central, which handles booking for Hotels.com.

The company we contract with for reservation services was working with Expedia Partner Central last week on what they call Expedia Direct Connect, or EQC. Without going into detail, most of which I do not understand anyway, an absurdly low price was erroneously posted for our hotel for a short time. We first learned of this when a potential guest called to ask if that price was legitimate. They recognized that a 30% discount was not normal for a highly rated hotel on the Oregon Coast during peak season.

We were able to block Expedia Partner Central from our system until the pricing error was corrected, but apparently not before this guest had posted a booking with Hotels.com. No other bookings were posted at the erroneous price.

Two other potential guests did "walk in" and asked about the price they had seen posted for a short time earlier in the day, but when the situation was explained, they opted to stay anyway, and we accommodated them even though we had reached our internal booking limit for the day as we prepared for a busy weekend ahead.

The initial desk clerk this reviewer spoke to is in training, and had experienced an understandably stressful day. She did not distinguish between someone simply walking in and asking if they could get that rate, from someone who had actually booked through a third party booking agency.

My investigation reveals a significantly different sequence of events from that chronicled by the reviewer, but perhaps that is to be expected. It was an emotional and stressful time for both my clerk and the reviewer.

What is clear is that when another clerk coming on duty picked up on this conversation, she immediately reached me by phone and followed my instruction to apologize profusely and register the guest without further delay.

I am continuing to follow up with my reservation service provider and Expedia Partner Central to verify what caused this situation and to hopefully keep it from happening again.

Eugene Tish, Proprietor
The Garibaldi House Inn
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 31 July 2014

The owners of the Garibaldi House Inn are working very hard to make this a destination place on the Oregon Coast to be enjoyed. From the welcoming confirmation to the thank you for staying letters you felt like a guest. The breakfast was very good as well as the afternoon snacks in the lobby.

Room Tip: We paid extra for a view of the marina and bay but it was noisy from the traffic. Next time I would...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Victoria
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Very nice stay...an excellent confirmation letter re our reservations, etc...best we have ever had. Rooms and hotel were very clean; excellent breakfast (eggs, sausage, potatoes, biscuits/gravy and fruit, yogurt, cereal, muffins) something for every palate. Great appetizers! Very accommodating staff and proprietor who is on site and attending to each and every traveler's needs. Excellent hotel in a quaint coastal town..perfect for a get-a-way or business trip. Only negative is that there are no pet-friendly rooms.

Room Tip: Higher floor has view of the bay and marina but is located on main highway so if you sleep with wind...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 July 2014

The proprietor Gene is quite friendly and has worked hard to make this a special place. I had just completed a fishing trip in BC and was attending our family reunion directly after it. We live in Salt Lake so I had to keep my fish frozen before we headed back home 4 days later and Gene took care of us and for that we are truly thankful. The fish made it back to SLC frozen. Yeah!

The breakfasts are great as are the weekend appetizers that Gene creates. This is a quaint town and a great location on the Oregon Coast.

I took a stack of cards so that could share this special place with my clients from around the country.

Enjoy!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Angie S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Garibaldi
Shilo Inn Suites Hotel - Tillamook
#1 of 8 in Rockaway Beach
Harborview Inn & RV Park
Harborview Inn & RV Park
#1 of 3 in Garibaldi

Been to Garibaldi House Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!