“Didn't actually STAY...”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Gearhart
Vancouver, WA
“Didn't actually STAY...”
Reviewed 27 September 2010

We booked a room through the property office, which saved us 25% from online booking. We showed up and went to our room - we were disgusted with the condition of the room. It was VERY outdated and dirty. There was some sort of a greasy food stain on the master bed bedspread. All of the furniture/flooring was pretty tattered and the bedding was nasty. The gal at the office was very helpful and let us go look at the only other pet-friendly room they had available for the weekend - it was really no better. I would not have been comfortable taking my shoes off, sitting on the furniture or sleeping in the beds. We cancelled our stay and left. To their credit - they did give us our money back.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank Sethsmelisa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Auburn, Washington
Reviewed 23 September 2010

We stayed the 17th and 18th going to the Fisherman festival in Astoria Or.
After reading the reviews for this property I guess it depends on what room you are given whether you get a nice one or a old one.

We arrived late 10:30pm and checked in. After we checked in we were told our credit card would be charged first thing in the morning which I thought was strange but didn't think much of it until I got up in the morning. I should have complained but we were with other folks and didn't have time to look for somewhere else to stay. Rooms were hard to find for this weekend as the festival was going on.

It was the same for us as the room was worn out as was most everything in it. Mold, broken screen on slider, in need of paint and in general a good remodel. Read the other bad reviews and it really was the same for us.

The only 2 good things were the view from the balcony and that we received a 10% discount.

I would never stay there again and will be sure to tell all I know how bad this place is.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank shup

Travellers are raving about these Gearhart hotels

Atherton
Reviewed 8 September 2010

We first heard of this spot in an Oregon/Washington cycling book ... then had to Google it and read reviews on TripAdvisor, Yahoo, etc. The reviews were up & down the scale. I checked for units (individually-owned condos spread between several different buildings with slightly differing amenities) on VRBO and other independent sites, always returning to the Gearhart-by-the-Sea offical webpage for building on grounds layout and location of specific rooms. Not finding the units I was interested in available on the dates we'd be around town, I accessed the available units through the official site and found several possibilities. I was able to choose by looking at pictures and room descriptions. I avoided those given negative reviews on this site and others. I found a lovely, light-filled and pleasingly painted with relaxed ocean colors of blues and soft yellow. The spacious balcony sported Aidirondack rockers and a view of the ocean and a glimpse of the beach through both dunes and over some low, closer to the beach building units.
I'd like to offer well-deserved kudos to the office desk staff who patiently answered my questions before and after I made online reservations. I'd particularly like to single out Shawna who I feel went out of her way, beyond the call of duty (ie. job description) to help me with copying a document and getting it faxed in an emergency-type situation ... all with the 'no problem' attitude and smile you need in those trying moments.
We've found we love and appreciate Oregon's coast communities (& history) more than we expected. And I feel, this welcoming home away from home contributed to this!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank travelin_at_leisure
Longview, Washington
Reviewed 2 August 2010

We've been going to Gearhart for the past five years. Each of the units are individually owned and decorated. It's very important to take a tour of the room you'll be in to make sure it's a good fit. Some are BETTER than others. Knowing this makes all the difference!!!
We LOVE our stay at Gearhart with all the beach adventures, shopping and golf. Seaside is also 5 miles away!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank grprandthree
Redmond, Washington
Reviewed 28 July 2010

All of the condos are individually owned. We stayed in unit 467 Pacific View. Looks like it was built in the 70s and nothing has been changed or updated since then. Curtains were old and tattered and in the small bedroom coming off the hooks. The whole time I just wanted to go buy a bucket of paint - would make the walls look cleaner and add some color. Linoleum in bathroom was torn in places. 3 old plastic chairs on the deck - hello, at least purchase a 4th chair so four adults can sit out on the deck.

End unit on 1st floor, with fairly unobstructed view. Not sure other 1st floor units in this building would have good ocean views - as they look out over a parking garage and pool building. Each building has its own pool. Pacific View residents are not permitted in other building pools - so can't use the Gearhart House pool that has a hot tub. Building was quiet. Didn't hear neighbors or street noise.

Played golf - easy walk across the street to course. Traveled with two small children, so two nights we ate in. Purchased good fresh seafood at reasonable prices from Bell Buoy at south end of Seaside.

One nice benefit - housekeeping comes in and changes the towels, make the beds and dump the garbage daily. At most condos this service is usually only once or twice a week, or for an extra fee. So, that was nice.

Do have free high speed wireless Internet - but a bit spotty in our condo.

We wanted to bring our two pugs (both 20 pounds). This was a pet friendly unit. When I called and asked Reservations they said No - 1 pet only. So, this seems stupid to me. I can bring one 180 pound St. Bernard - but not two 20 pound pugs. Hmm.... So, we didn't bring our dogs. Would have recevied a much higher review from me if the place was more dog friendly. Big signs on the grass areas outside "NO PETS."

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank tdh42
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 16 July 2010

We really like the variety of different rooms to pick from and the cost is very affordable. We had a nice room with a view. It is a walk to the beach, but we didn't mind.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 7 June 2010

We've been to Gearhart by the Sea several times over the years. The north coast location and views are great but many of the condos rented out by the on-site manager are in need of updating - a 2 star complex. This trip, we rented a very nice ocean view condo direct from the owners and found it very clean, comfortable and had a great stay. We were even able to check out a bit late, which made for a nice long weekend! We give 4-5 Stars for the by owner condo ..... we'll definitely be going back!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank reillymu
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gearhart
Best Western Ocean View Resort
#1 of 14 in Astoria
Gearhart Ocean Inn
Gearhart Ocean Inn
#1 of 3 in Gearhart

Been to Gearhart by the Sea? Share your experiences!