“Nice but simple for a McMenamins”

McMenamins Gearhart Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Gearhart B&B and Inns
Seattle, Washington
“Nice but simple for a McMenamins”
Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

I love all the McMenamin hotels and pubs. This is a great recent addition due to its coastal location. I was somewhat disappointed by no pool but the staff are friendly and the artwork is wonderful as always. Fun to learn the local history of the town. Food is a bit overpriced. The room was very comfy.

• Stayed October 2013

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We stayed in this hotel on our round-trip Portland-Seattle-Portland and we enjoyed it.
The hotel is an older nice looking wooden building. The room was nice, stylish and very clean.
The beach is very close and you can walk x miles on this beach, we only saw 1 other person with her dog on the beach, so we were almost alone.
There are no restaurants around except of the McMenamins itself which was also good food. Especially the beer is to recommend... :-)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Portland, Oregon, United States
Reviewed 5 September 2013

This could have been a wonderful stay if not for the incredibly bad service. The hotel itself is very inviting with it's ornate woodwork and historic photos throughout the hallways. We were down for a friend's wedding and it was catered by none other than McMenamins. Extremely nice setting for the wedding, although the patrons of the outdoor dining area had the best view. Our room was a corner room with ample views of the parking lot and golf course. The condos across the street blocked any ocean view but we were only about 300 yards from the beach.
The wedding went off without any major issues that I could notice but things changed after about 1 or 2 am. The units are not air conditioned so the windows being open provided a nice cooling breeze, but also plenty of noise from drunk patrons leaving the bar at closing. Naturally, the first thing people do when they leave a bar late at night is hang out in front and talk, argue, wrestle and make lots of noise. Expected maybe in downtown Portland but not so much in the quiet town of Gearhart. My bad...Upon checkout I noticed a pair of earplugs in the nightstand which I probably should have used. Up until this point, I still would give this 3 or 4 stars, but breakfast the next morning was the worst service I'd experience since...my last visit to the Grand Lodge in Forest Grove a few nights ago.
We arrived at 8:30 and were told to sit anywhere. We grabbed a table for 6 on the patio. Initially greeted warmly and received water. Another 15 minutes go by and she comes back and takes order for coffee, 2 Spanish coffees and black tea. Another 20 minutes goes by and one of us goes to check on order. We haven't even ordered breakfast yet. This was not a busy time for the restaurant. There were only two other tables outside and maybe 3 or 4 inside that had people dining. In all, it was over 70 minutes before we all had our breakfast served. Here's my worst part: Another couple came and sat at the table next to us and waited for 25 minutes and I commented that I hoped they were patient. She says, "Well, that's McMenamins." Like this is perfectly normal procedure and we should expect this. Well, I disagree. Customer Service is not that hard to do. If the waitress had only stopped by the table, kept the coffee cups full, checked on the table as she was walking by instead of trying to ignore the customers with their hands up waving for service, then maybe I might return. I talked to the front desk person upon checkout and without being gruff, I explained our situation. I could see her eyes glass over once she understood that this was just another customer complaining about the service.
Our group vowed to write letters this time because this was the last straw for me. It doesn't matter how good the beer is when the food is just okay and the service is terrible. I arrived home and started researching the customer service problem at McMenamin's. Turns out there is an entire web page dedicated to the poor customer service from this corporation called, "25 things that suck about Portland." It contains alleged reports from customers and employees alike and if I believe what employees have posted about the company, I am more forgiving of our waitress because good customer service has to start at the top. Now I did not see more than one waitress, maybe two in the entire restaurant on a Sunday morning at 8:30. I'm thinking they didn't have more than one cook either, which brings me back to providing exceptional customer service. If McMenamins wants to better their corporate image, then they truly need to dine "Incognito" to experience what everyone seems to be saying about their service. All these people can't be former disgruntled workers making stories up. I know I am not. I am writing to "Corporate Management" in the hopes that they will at least want to improve operations and training of people. In as much as Nordstrom's is known for their great customer service, McMenamins is known for their POOR customer service. If a company has poor service, there are two distinct possibilities: Employees are not getting trained correctly, or employees are unhappy, treated poorly and are acting out. Could it be a combination of both? CBS needs to put these brothers on "Undercover Boss" or perhaps an investigative reporter could get to the bottom of it? In either case, I have decided I can no longer support this company, it's employees, it's food or even it's beer. I won't be back and yes, I will tell all my friends.

Room Tip: Until they improve their customer service skills, I recommend a condo across the street that has an...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Lawrence O
Port Orchard, Washington
Reviewed 4 September 2013

A treasure along the Oregon coast McMenamin's at Gearhart offers a refuge from the mega, impersonal resorts. Great food in the restaurant or on the deck, a challenging golf course, & beach for strolls.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Marydeane F
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 3 September 2013

My wife and I stayed here for the Labor Day weekend in one of the hotels great rooms. The rooms are really beautiful. The room had all real wood paneling and very cozy. I also have two small dogs which the hotel allowed. The weather was fantastic – sunrise in one window, sunset in the others. I had the corner room – 206 if you can get. I use a wheelchair so it might be just for accessibility. Love the place and the restaurant downstairs. Very, very quiet at night.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the east are best. The beach where you can drive on is a short distance.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Its hard to describe what makes this quirky and quality hotel so special, but it is simply one that must be experienced to appreciate. I first stayed a McMenamins property several years ago when it was recommended I stay at their signature Portland property, the Edgefield, near the airport. That a fun and affordable hotel with so many options could incorporate a brewpub, a distillery, a par 3 Nine hole course, heated spa, music venues, and more pocket pups on the property than you can delightfully discover in one hike, is a business model in the hotel industry like none other. The Gearhart property is called the SandTrap, because it is essentially the golf course links hotel and brewery, all in one spot, and its only two blocks from the beautiful, and drivable, Gearhart beach. This ain't the cheap shops and dives of Seaside next door, its a quiet quality community and golf course opportunity that is not to be missed. Taz is the new manager, and he has got the touch when it comes to running this place on all cylinders. Its quirky, its funky, it has tons of vintage photographs with great Gearhart history on all the walls in all the rooms and all the hallways and all the restaurants, as well as pop art music posters from lots of great local, regional, and now top touring attractions and bands. Its new, but it was designed with a vintage feel to it, and they don't miss the details on this property. My room overlooked the main deck and the golf course to the east, and many friends and acquaintances love this great little course. For a great value price, I simply cannot say enough good and fun things about this hotel, and the company and all its properties in general. I only wish that Texas had a chain that was so hip and energetic in its offerings!

Room Tip: Ask for Taz, and he WILL take good care of you!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Christopher C
Washington
Reviewed 24 August 2013

McMenamins Gearhart is a new hotel decorated to look old in the distinctive, eclectic McMenamin's style. Our room was a comfortable king room with balcony overlooking the golf course. The location provided lovely views of intrepid golfers and early morning fog blanketing the course. The bathroom was nice and spacious, although a bit dimly lit. Lighting in the little alcove leading to the room door was so dim that correct placement of the key card in the door lock was an exercise in braille.

I purchased the Hammerhead package, which is undeniably a "package" and not a "deal." The promotion includes a $50. credit for dinner and $20. for breakfast at the restaurant. The glitch is that if you spend less on a meal than the allotted credit amount, you must make up the savings by purchasing additional food or drink to use up your total credit amount. Of course, if you spend more than your allotted credit, you pay the overage. And how many times have you had a meal bill equal EXACTLY $50. or $20? If you spend less on a meal, the additional purchase must be made THAT NIGHT or you loose your savings. You can't spend your savings the next day, you can't spend it in the gift shop, and the tip doesn't count toward the meal credit. So you are really better off just purchasing meals separately, and skipping the confused accounting of a "package."

That said, the stay was a unique and pretty-much enjoyable McMenamens experience. I would stay again, without the "package."

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gearhart
Gearhart by the Sea
#1 of 27 in Seaside
Commodore Hotel
Commodore Hotel
#8 of 14 in Astoria

Been to McMenamins Gearhart Hotel? Share your experiences!