“The absolute worst customer service I've ever encountered...EVER”

Holiday Inn Express Portland SE-Clackamas Area
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gladstone
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Let me start by saying we stayed at this property last year, when it was Oxford Suites, and the stay was great. The rooms are still OK, nothing great, nothing bad, but it does not make up for the horrible way we were treated. Even worse, it wasn't just my family but a number of people staying there. We were there, with a large block of rooms that were booked a few months ago, for a very large girls college exposure fastpitch tournament. There were at least 3 different teams staying there, based on the Welcome Board posted in the lobby. That was pretty much the end of the welcoming part of this hotel.

We arrived at 10 pm Friday night, since my daughter's fastpitch games didn't end until late. We literally crawled into bed, as we had to be back at the ballfields at 6:30 am the following morning. At 5 am the next morning, we were greeted with freezing cold water...no hot water to be had for a shower. Since we hadn't showered the night before due to needing to be up early to get to the fields, this was awful. My 14 year old daughter was literally in tears at having to endure a freezing cold shower, then had to go play all day at the fields. Upon arrival at the fields, we found out from other parents that nobody in the hotel got a hot shower as their pilot light went out. Some people had time to complain to the desk about this, but most of us didn't have enough time for that. I had already planned on addressing this upon my return and had expected that this hotel would live up to it's posted "Hospitality Promise", which is very clearly stated in their rooms, which says that if any part of your stay isn't satisfactory, they promise to make it right or we don't pay for that part of our stay.

To my surprise, when I asked the front desk clerk about our issues with no hot water, I was first very rudely told that they were only discounting rooms for people who had complained in the morning and since I hadn't they wouldn't discount anything. I explained that I had been at the ball fields until 10 pm the night before, had to be back at the fields that morning at 6:30, and simply didn't have time that morning before I left, that was why I was there now about it. She then told me that they may not do anything for anyone who complained, since so many people had heard about it and were now asking for discounts, and then she asked if I had really showered. I told her both my daughter and I had showered at 5 in COLD water, and that is not what I paid good money for a room for. She then said they were just putting everyone on a list and they would see what the manager would do, and she again reiterated they may not do anything.

I received a phone call about an hour later, and the front desk clerk said the manager had authorized a 5-10% reduction in the bill, which amounted to all of $12. I told her I found that highly insulting that 2 people having to endure ice cold showers was worth so little to them. She said that's the most they would do. I said that I was very disappointed that they cared so little for their guests.....I stay in a hotel for a place to sleep AND a shower...apparently they feel a shower is only 10% of what people stay in a hotel room for. If it was lack of bath products, not enough juice at breakfast, or the wrong kind of pillow I could understand such a small discount. But this was a shower!!! I doubt there are many people who stay in a hotel that don't use the shower.

To add insult to injury, not only did they NOT deduct the $12 from my bill, they actually charged me $20 more than my original reservation quoted. It's not even the money at this point, it's just the matter that they simply do not care about their guests at all. The only point in time I ever received anything of an apology for what we went through was after I expressed disappointment at how little they were going to reduce my bill. She then said "Sorry for the inconvenience, good bye." That was it. At no point did I receive anything that was genuine apology for what they subjected to us to, or anything that amounted to any kind of caring at all.

Never again will I stay at this place...and I will tell absolutely everyone I know not to either. Hotels are supposed to all about customer service, pleasing the guest, and making you feel like you're at home away from home. Not this place...their service stops the minute the reservation is made and apparently you are supposed to feel lucky you are getting to stay there, rather than the other way around. This hotel should be highly embarrassed for the way their staff handled this.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank strssr994
Hotel M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portland SE-Clackamas Area, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

I want to thank you for the review and taking the time to write one. I understand you being upset with the customer service that you received and can assure you that is not the normal service that we provide. I do apologize for the inconvenience of the hot water during your stay and the problem was corrected as soon as we became aware of it.
We take great pride in all the groups that we have staying with us and would like to have the opportunity to make things right the next time that you are in the area.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

My initial experience with the hotel's tremendously helpful, very efficient, and sincere front desk staff was one of the most accommodating in recent memory. Once I explained the complex issue I was seeking help with, it was almost as if Felicia took my problem to be her own, and quite literally could not do enough to resolve the issue! Felicia's willing determination to achieve guest satisfaction went far and above what anyone would normally receive/anticipate! Once I finally arrived at the hotel, it was immediate evident that her attitude was the norm for the front desk staff! Of outstanding mention are Sandy, Susie, and William! They went out of their way to offer a cheerful, professional, yet friendly and sincere greeting to every person who entered the lobby by way of the front desk. My enthusiasm for this hotel does not end with the superb customer service. The hotel itself is very unique, actually resort-like. It is situated on the banks of the Willamette River at one of the many shoals and switchback turns it makes, perched atop the jagged granite miniature "cliffs", with outstanding views from virtually any room in the hotel. My suite had a balcony on the top (5h) floor, with an ideal view down onto the river. I watched in amazement as i counted at least 6 separate families of mallard and wood ducks hanging out, cavorting with each other {all families had numerous baby ducks who were clearly being taught how to fish, etc}! Tne suite decor was somewhat current, not at all dated, very pleasant colours, and very spacious! For once, the living area and bedroom area actually had a sliding door that could effectively separate the two (2). Equipped with a refrigerator, as well as a microwave, 2 flat screen LED TV's, DVD player, and very comfortable couch and easy chair. The balcony had 2 chairs thoughtfully placed to just sit and enjoy watching the river and it's many charms! STAY HERE--VERY RELAXING AND LAIDBACK!

Room Tip: request a balcony--most rooms have them but not all, and if you wish to enjoy the river in it's...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank CaliforniaKewl
HotelMgmtPDXGS, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portland SE-Clackamas Area, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2015

Thank you so much for your exceptional review of our Property and the comments regarding the service that you received during the stay. I have shared your comments with the staff and they are pleased that they were able to assist you . We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Stayed here for 2 days during a recent stay. Sits right next to the river so it was very pleasant to listen too. Nicci at the front desk was very pleasant and helpful. The continental breakfast was okay but nice to have instead of easting out. The room had a really nice king bead and sofa sleeper. Has a fridge and microwave. They provide shampoo and such and also provide a hair-dryer, iron and ironing board. They have an indoor pool, hot tub and exercise room. This was a nice place and the 1st time I had stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and the comments regarding our staff member Nicci.
I am glad that you were able to enjoy the array of items in our continental breakfast. We do hope that you will come stay with us again the next time you are in the Clackamas Area.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Good size rooms with balcony overlooking the river. The freeway is also the other side of the river, so it can be noisy if you open the door in the mornings. Had read a bad review and was a bit worried but need not have been! Reception was courteous, room clean and comfortable. Snacks and drinks were provided in the evening plus a good selection at breakfast. There is supermarket across the car park and a very nice family restaurant next to it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind words about your recent stay with us. We are glad to know that you even after reading other reviews that you were able to come and experience the courtesy of the staff and the comfort of our rooms. We look forward to having you come stay with us in the future.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

This Holiday Inn is located in a semi rural area 2- 3 miles south of Clackamas Town Center with convenient access to the 205 freeway. It also has a safeway store right next door that stays open late. The hotel overlooks the beautiful rushing Clackamas River. There are walking paths a short distance away that run along side the river. The hotel itself was acquired from an upscale suite hotel company a short time ago and many of the rooms are better than what you would expect from the average Holiday Inn Express. The only downside is that the breakfast which we have come to count on doesnt start as early as advertised and the Coffee the three days we were there was luke warm at best first thing in the morning as if it had been made the night before.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the river
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Spacious and functional room conveniently located to SE Portland area, with invigorating view of the Clackamas River rushing by. Simple amenities included small pool, spa, steam room and fitness room. Front desk staff were particularly helpful. Breakfast was satisfactory with adequate variety to grab a bite before heading out to see the sights. Free wifi was welcome. Safeway a few steps away across the parking lot served numerous purposes during our several day stay. Access to thoroughfares was main reason for hotel selection and proved on target to avoid traffic jams and have access to airport, Columbia gorge, but also the southern points that we needed.

Room Tip: All rooms appear to face the river, which is enjoyable, and a room on the ground floor puts you righ...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We travel A LOT for personal and business. This is Definitely not worth the price!! Travelers Beware!

Terrible customer service!! We think they may have just added some paint and trim to make this hotel look nicer but in reality it was not.

First off, we got to the hotel to check in at 5:05pm and our room was not even ready. We had to wait in the lobby with our kids and luggage, until 5:55pm to get checked in.

The hallway to our room was filthy, had like cracker crumbs and stuff all over. There was even a housekeeper in the same hallway!

Room was decent, king bed was very firm, but the queen was softer. Bath tub wouldn't drain, gross.

The hot tub was dingy, had floaters of bugs and hair, plus wasn't that warm. Went to try the steam room and the steam coming out smelled so bad we immediately had to leave. So our swim suits are really smelly still.

Breakfast was a joke. When went down there was only 3 other couples in the room and there was no food in the bins. When my husband asked about getting more and how long the wait, the hostess barked at him "I'm only one person and it will get out here when it does". Completely unacceptable!!

Because we are paying so much for the room and were not at all impressed, we checked out a day early and found another hotel. We asked to speak to the manager so that they new what was goings on in their hotel and she didn't not care at all. No apologies, just told us that our room is cancelled. Completely justl an "I don't care" attitude.

Please avoid at all costs!

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank mosierroseburg
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portland SE-Clackamas Area, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2014

Dear mosierroseburg,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith in our hotel and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail regarding your stay. I trust we can regain your confidence in our products and services.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gladstone
Best Western Plus Rivershore Hotel
Monarch Hotel and Conference Center
La Quinta Inn Wilsonville
La Quinta Inn Wilsonville
#1 of 8 in Wilsonville

Been to Holiday Inn Express Portland SE-Clackamas Area? Share your experiences!