“Had higher expectations”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Gleneden Beach
Oregon
“Had higher expectations”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I have stayed at Salishan Spa and Gold Resort twice for conferences. My husband accompanied me thinking we'd have a nice weekend. The "premier" room with a view was not to my expectations. We were on the first floor with a great view of a hedge. The double pane window had a leak and was growing mold & mildew. When taking a bath, the control for the tub came off. The carpet was old and worn. I told the staff at the front desk who said, "we'll let the engineers know." There was no offer to discount our room or make it right. I would have liked to visit the spa, but thought twice about it because of the condition of our room. Do they take as much care with the spa as they do with their "premier" rooms?

I know the organization is planning on having the conference at Salishan next year. I will attend, but will definitely not be staying at Salishan.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Mamajujubee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Sherwood, Oregon
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Like some of the previous reviewers, we have come here for many years. So believe me when I say, now is not the time to try this hotel. They are apparently in interim ownership/management, and it shows. Also, the entire resort needs some serious updating. If you like things newer or very clean, and quiet, this is not the hotel for you.

Lowlights:
Rooms-

-Shabby/worn furniture
-Dirty carpets (big stains in many spots)
-Noisy refrigerators
-Mattresses need replacing
-Windows are extremely dirty
-Back porch is dirty and worn
-Musty smell in room
-Doors don't shut well
-No screens on windows so you can't leave doors open to help with musty smell
-Smears on the wall in bathroom
-The cost is way overpriced for what you get (zero attention to detail and not sure the room was even truly cleaned from last tenants).
-If you are on a bottom floor, the soundproofing from the room above you is terrible. You will hear every noise like it's in your room. We were woken up both nights (early mornings) by people above us doing who knows what.
-Upon arrival at 6pm for check-in, our room was not cleaned and ready for us
-We had to call to have our room made up every day - we would come back from being out and about around 5pm, and no one had been there. It seems they don't have enough staff to take care of everything properly at the moment.
-No real caring or apology from the management (took forever to get in touch with the management)

Rest of the resort:
-Terrible service in the overpriced dining room. The food was great, the service came from someone who seemed very unhappy to be there, and was rude and unfriendly from the minute we sat down.

Highlights:
-The spa was the one bright spot of the resort. Very clean, excellent service. Wondering if they are owned by a different company?
-Nice grounds, lovely area. Could be a world class resort with the right owner/management.

Bottom Line:
Can't believe we paid what we did for two nights in this place. We will NOT be back until they get their act together. (A year or two?) Very disappointed. Spend your money elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Steve S

Travellers are raving about these Gleneden Beach hotels

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 11 July 2014

In switch from a premiere room to a room with a view and discovered the only view I had was of tall trees. Not to mention the room smelled old and needed a much up to date upgrade, along with the childrens game room. The property is very large and away from the ocean. The hotel should be where the spa is across the street near the private beach access adn the spa where the hotel is. I never stayed where the spa isn't walking distance. Needless to say I switch back to a premiere room and it was much large and smelled much better and seems to have been update. If you want to stay on/near the ocean this isn't the place but the golf course looks great. Food is over priced we opted to eat in Lincoln City. Sorry but I wouldn't recommend this for the young and middle age groups with children. The pool, sauna and weight room is good!!

Room Tip: Select another place on the ocean if that is what you desire. From here you will have to drive
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank sw32606
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Hmmmm! Well I don't want to sound a complainer but travel a lot and have seen a lot. But I have never seen a hotel diffunctional like this one. Check in at 4 30 pm. We walked in at 2 30. To tell them we are here. And we gonna go eat n come Back 4 30 as the room wasn't Ready. Fine.
We came back at 7 pm. Room wasn't ready.
Had dinner plans, need to shower n change to go to dinner at 7 30. Didn't happen.
Got to the room. View was great. But it's was a 110 d. In the room to realize there isn't a Fan. We are not talking about Ai reconditioning. For the owners, it does get to a 100 degree in Oregon. And "sailor Jack "Motel down the road have Air conditioning and an access to the beach. And it's 1 star hotel.
So I couldn't sleep. No windows just the balcony door that I had to leave open to get some air. Of cours there is no Screen. And I got eaten by starving Miskitos. don't ever open the door.
Comes breakfast. Very slow service and the food Suck. Too Gressy. Panckacks over cooked and flat. Please don t ever press on pancakes.
There are a lot of places to eat breakfast in Lincoln city. Go there. "lil Sambos "is Great "Pig n Pancake" is great and cheap.
Room Service don't bother. The number 634 they have to call. Don't exist. So u have to call front desk and they tell u to call room service. hello. Anybody there? Of cours you get mad and they tell you. It's better if we have them Call you. Like we are idiots. Then u wait 30 m. Nothing. You finally insist someone do call you take your order wrong. Then you get garbage food, ur wife don't eat it . And you take a trip to Mc Donald's and then you hit the Casino.
Here is what I think.
Hotel, having a pinball Machine doesn't make you a resort.
There is no Managers at all. In any Deparetenent. I wanted to talk to someone but no one. Put a Monkey at The Door you should be able to find one in that Jungle. That embarrassed me front of my Wife.
And one more thing. none of your staff looked Happy or they gave a crap about me having a bad Experience. Comping a dinner is great. But if it didn't taste like food. That won't help you. I won't come back.
Finally one Person you should promote that was embarrassed as me." Guy at the front Desk. He looks like he doesn't belong there. that's your Manager. Hold on to him.

• Stayed July 2014
The Coho Oceanfront Lodge
The Coho Oceanfront Lodge
#4 of 35 in Lincoln City
Best Western Agate Beach Inn

Been to Salishan Spa and Golf Resort? Share your experiences!