“Pretty spendy for an older place”

Salishan Spa and Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Gleneden Beach
Portland, Oregon
“Pretty spendy for an older place”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

While Salishan used to be "the" place to go on the coast, the facilities are starting to wear and it shows. Decks have rotting boards, bathrooms need upgrading, and the service in the bar isn't all that great. Having said these things, I stayed there for a conference recently. As a member of the conference I received a discount for my room - with that my room was $179/nt. not including taxes and fees. While the room was lovely, I don't know that I would have paid that much or whatever the un-discounted price would be. They did treat the conference goers well and the meals provided with the conference were delicious.

Unfortunately, there were some things I didn't like. I went to the bar for happy hour one evening and did not have a good experience. I was by myself so I sat at the bar and didn't take up a table all to myself. There was no dedicated bartender. All the servers were also bartenders. So there was a constant hustle and bustle behind the bar, and I because my bartender was also a server out at the tables, she wasn't there to see that my drink had sat empty for 20 minutes and that my food still hadn't arrived. I had to wave and "shout" her down to get her to address these things.... very sad.

Additionally, their spa is so expensive, it precludes nearly anyone from going there. I have been to a few of some of the finest spas in the Northwest, and none of them are as expensive as here. I couldn't in good conscience spend over $100 for a facial.

So, while I was treated nicely by the staff and it was a great place to have a conference, I don't know that I would stay here on my own.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Talbottca
AldridS, Manager at Salishan Spa and Golf Resort, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Thank you for your review and we are sorry to hear you were unhappy with your experience at our bar. While our spa is luxurious, we are often running specials, so we do encourage you to give it another try if you’re on the coast again—we will be sure to exceed your expectations.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I was a bit weary about staying at this resort but it ended up being a nice stay. When I made the reservation, I asked for one of the renovated rooms and that was what we got. We stayed in the lowest cost room and there was plenty of room even with our pack and play. My husband had nice things to say about the golf course. And the private beach access was a good location. I would have to agree that the resort does need updating. The breakfast was pretty good in the sun room but it was frustrating that there wasn't a good family dining option for dinner. If you stay here, make sure to make a reservation at the nearby Side Door cafe. It's fantastic. Overall, the Salishan is a good value for the money, especially if you have a golfer in the family.

Room Tip: The lower cost rooms are more likely to be renovated.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank JBLuvTravel
We are happy to hear that you and your family had a nice stay with us, JBLuvTravel. We are always striving to make our guests as comfortable as possible, so we are thrilled to hear that you and your family were able to take advantage of our beautiful golf course and play around on our beach! Oh, and we definitely agree with you on the Side Door Café— one of our favorite local spots too.
Reviewed 21 July 2014

First time staying here and my family lived it. Plenty if activities for my kids and loved that we had access to the private beach! Kristi at the front desk was wonderful at check in and was always helpful and attentive to my family! Would definitely recommend this resort to anyone looking to stay in this area!

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Jon O
Thank you for the kind words. We truly appreciate hearing from our guests, and are always thrilled when we can assist in a successful vacation for the entire family. Please let us know when you’ll be on the Oregon Coast again.
Aloha, Oregon
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Spa: The place was absolutely amazing. It was clean, and inviting. The paid attention to every detail possible and we left there very relaxed.

Hotel Room: The front door you had to put all your weight into to open, same with the bathroom door. The water faucet is opposite of what it says. (Cold water goes to the left vs. right). If you take a shower in this room, trust me, you will want to have the door open because it is almost impossible to get out. The windows were thin so you could hear the traffic down below all night, and no screen on the door, so we were unable to open our door when it was too warm. The shower still had hair in it from the previous renter. The sink was not cleaned from the prior guest either.

The Dining Room: Unfortunately the Sun Room was closed as we were told there were not enough employees to work both places. They were only open for breakfast and lunch. Sad, as there were people that wanted a kid friendly place and the Dining Room really wasn't that.
When we went in and sat down for dinner, the waiter did not seem like he wanted to be there. He barely looked at us. As he was talking he would look around or up. He only came and asked me what I would like to drink once, so the rest of the dinner, I had water. The tables around us had friendly staff that were very attentive. They had arrived, eaten and left all before we had desert. He didn't seem to want to come back to see how we were or see if there was anything else that we needed. When it came time for the bill, everyone else (with other wait staff) were given these chocolate things. We, just got the bill. The bus boy was really friendly and did talk to us a little bit but it almost felt like he thought he would get into trouble for saying hi to us. So, I hope this posting does not create an issue for him. He was doing a great job.

When it came time to check out, there was an error made by the front desk, my credit card had a $1000 hold on it. Granted, I know that the room was going to have a hold on it as well as the other incidentals, however, I was not prepared to have 0 credit available. I don't usually carry credit cards, and when I do, it is a small balance once. I had nothing available for the trip home. Thankfully, I had a little cash but also thankful this was not the first leg to another outing somewhere else, if it had, we would have been screwed. However, I will say, even though I don't have access to my credit card for a couple days, they fixed it. The staff at the front desk fixed the issue above any expectiation we had. For that, I would come back and try it again after all the new management kinks and rennovations are taken care of.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank muddygirl2010
Oregon
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I have stayed at Salishan Spa and Gold Resort twice for conferences. My husband accompanied me thinking we'd have a nice weekend. The "premier" room with a view was not to my expectations. We were on the first floor with a great view of a hedge. The double pane window had a leak and was growing mold & mildew. When taking a bath, the control for the tub came off. The carpet was old and worn. I told the staff at the front desk who said, "we'll let the engineers know." There was no offer to discount our room or make it right. I would have liked to visit the spa, but thought twice about it because of the condition of our room. Do they take as much care with the spa as they do with their "premier" rooms?

I know the organization is planning on having the conference at Salishan next year. I will attend, but will definitely not be staying at Salishan.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Mamajujubee

Travellers are raving about these Gleneden Beach hotels

Sherwood, Oregon
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Like some of the previous reviewers, we have come here for many years. So believe me when I say, now is not the time to try this hotel. They are apparently in interim ownership/management, and it shows. Also, the entire resort needs some serious updating. If you like things newer or very clean, and quiet, this is not the hotel for you.

Lowlights:
Rooms-

-Shabby/worn furniture
-Dirty carpets (big stains in many spots)
-Noisy refrigerators
-Mattresses need replacing
-Windows are extremely dirty
-Back porch is dirty and worn
-Musty smell in room
-Doors don't shut well
-No screens on windows so you can't leave doors open to help with musty smell
-Smears on the wall in bathroom
-The cost is way overpriced for what you get (zero attention to detail and not sure the room was even truly cleaned from last tenants).
-If you are on a bottom floor, the soundproofing from the room above you is terrible. You will hear every noise like it's in your room. We were woken up both nights (early mornings) by people above us doing who knows what.
-Upon arrival at 6pm for check-in, our room was not cleaned and ready for us
-We had to call to have our room made up every day - we would come back from being out and about around 5pm, and no one had been there. It seems they don't have enough staff to take care of everything properly at the moment.
-No real caring or apology from the management (took forever to get in touch with the management)

Rest of the resort:
-Terrible service in the overpriced dining room. The food was great, the service came from someone who seemed very unhappy to be there, and was rude and unfriendly from the minute we sat down.

Highlights:
-The spa was the one bright spot of the resort. Very clean, excellent service. Wondering if they are owned by a different company?
-Nice grounds, lovely area. Could be a world class resort with the right owner/management.

Bottom Line:
Can't believe we paid what we did for two nights in this place. We will NOT be back until they get their act together. (A year or two?) Very disappointed. Spend your money elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Steve S
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 11 July 2014

In switch from a premiere room to a room with a view and discovered the only view I had was of tall trees. Not to mention the room smelled old and needed a much up to date upgrade, along with the childrens game room. The property is very large and away from the ocean. The hotel should be where the spa is across the street near the private beach access adn the spa where the hotel is. I never stayed where the spa isn't walking distance. Needless to say I switch back to a premiere room and it was much large and smelled much better and seems to have been update. If you want to stay on/near the ocean this isn't the place but the golf course looks great. Food is over priced we opted to eat in Lincoln City. Sorry but I wouldn't recommend this for the young and middle age groups with children. The pool, sauna and weight room is good!!

Room Tip: Select another place on the ocean if that is what you desire. From here you will have to drive
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
BEST WESTERN PLUS Lincoln Sands Oceanfront Suites
The Coho Oceanfront Lodge
The Coho Oceanfront Lodge
#4 of 35 in Lincoln City

Been to Salishan Spa and Golf Resort? Share your experiences!