“Just as I remembered”

Ireland's Rustic Lodges
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Gold Beach
Reviewed 6 February 2010

Incredible,...just like it was twenty years ago the first timeI was here. Sure, the dust bunnies behind the nightstand and the " not so seasoned " firewood add to the charm, but what do you expect for under $100.00 night. A charming room combined with a friendly, helpful staff make Ireland's the only place we stay in Gold Beach. Room selection and realistic expectations make this a truely enjoyable place. if you want fancy or trendy, head north or south, but for a relaxing beach visit, this is the place

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 October 2009

We ended up in Gold Beach after a day of exploring the southern Oregon Coast and stayed in one of the cabins. Very roomy, two beds, a wonderful fireplace w/plenty of kindling and wood and an ocean view (although a bit far away). We enjoyed the walk to the beach and a breakfast the next morning. This was good value for money!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 September 2009

Booked for 7 nights..stayed one. cancelled the rest of our stay within 20 minutes of getting there..View??? if you crawled into the bay window and stood up you could see a speck of ocean. clean???? there was food caked on the counter and floor. we were assured the room had been cleaned but the garbage can under the sink had junk in it, the bathroom towels looked rumpled and used. we do often stay in rustic places but there is a big difference between rustic and just out and out filth. bad day for them? don't know but the staff c ould not have been ruder if they tried. fridge did not work and their idea of a complete kitchen and my idea are worlds apart. room stunk like wet dog. would never recommend this place!!!!!!!

Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank TacomaPenguin1
Reviewed 3 September 2009

Nantucket was a quaint little cottage but rather expensive so far from the beach. A short trip to the beach was all our kids could handle so we had to drive down the road a few miles to find a user friendly beach. The cottage could have been cleaner. THe oven was very dirty and the silverware drawer was very dirty. Crumbs all over the dining room chairs. The globe from the ceiling light fell off onto the bed just as we had settled in for the night. A little scarey but it did miss us. The parking is not good if you have more than two cars. We had 6 adults and two kids. Overall the house was pretty decent even if it did smell musty.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank sarabeth715
Reviewed 21 August 2009

OMG!!!!!!!!!!! what happened. We were here a couple of years ago, and now, I woud think I was in a different place. The restroom buildings were just plain GROSS. I went in 1 time and that was IT. I know they have not been cleaned in weeks. I was there 3 days and they were never cleaned. The whole park is like that. It is dirty and unkept. They say they have WIFI, they do but it is so slow and the signal is so weak, they may as well turn it off. I don't know that I would go back. Reservations are a joke. You make your reservations, they say they can't issue you a sight, just come in get a spot, they will have 1 for you. But when you get there, the sign states, pick a sight, walk 100 yards north and register. If they did not save a sight with your name, what happens if you arrive late. I don't know, the place is sort of run down, and it would appear know one is in charge.

5  Thank happygrandma5
Reviewed 10 August 2009

We've stayed at Ireland's many times through the years and have come to appreciate its "rustic" qualities. It is a great location and we have enjoyed its little cottages with stone fireplaces. This time we DID enjoy the woodstove in our room and appreciated a good supply of firewood.

But this time my husband and I stayed in a so-called "suite" with my elderly mother. rather than "rustic", it felt tacky and rundown. It had an unworkable shower and crusty dishes and dirty placemats in it's "guests clean up after themselves" kitchen, which was far from well appointed. With a senior discount, the suite cost about $180 a night, far too much for what it was, even if we could see a piece of the ocean from the tiny deck.

Unfortunately, the guests before us didn't have high standards of cleanliness, and we ended up cleaning up after them before we sat down to snacks before going out to dinner. After a bike ride the next morning, my husband tried to take a shower, but the mechanism to turn on the shower was broken.

We left a message for the manager with the desk clerk (all the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful) but we never heard back from the manager. We may have gotten a marginal room with the bad luck to have people before us who said "no no no" to tidying up the kitchen, but I would never stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank iwonderoregon
Reviewed 29 June 2009

Our grandsons were visiting from out of town and we planned a great beach vacation. We arrived and check-in was good. We walked into the Laguna House and the musty smell was unmistakable. Our 10 year and 7 year old grandson's loved their room, two beds and a sink. Check-in was 2pm, we dropped our stuff and were off for a late lunch. We returned and spent the rest of the time at the beach, it was about a quarter-mile path to the actual beach. When I called to reserve, I was led to believe that we'd be a lot closer to the beach, but it was something we could deal with. At the end of our first day, we discovered no HOT water! The young lady at the counter at 8:45 pm said she couldn't do anything about the water, but offered us a regular hotel room with two queen beds. The next morning I returned to the office to check on the progress of our water problem, the man at the front desk was rude, and told me that he'd send someone over right away. The hot water tank needed replacing and it would be several hours before we'd be back in business. The gave us a room key to a nearby hotel room to take showers.

I can take a little inconvenience, and understand that stuff happens. My biggest complaint was the cleanliness of the cabin. It's definately seen better days, and for the nearly $200 a night, I expect a clean place. The kitchen was so filthy we never used it to cook a meal, which was the reason we booked a cabin w/ kitchen to begin with. The cupboards were caked with crud so deep and mold was on every damp surface. The bathroom would have been okay if there was a] hot water, and b] less mold. The bathroom drawers were lined with newspaper dated May of 03 fer cripes sakes! I expressed my dissapointment along with the hot water problem and was told that they would get someone to clean it better the next day. Didn't happen. So, if you're reading this and wonder if the Ireland's Rustic Lodges might be a good place to stay, run don't walk away.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
SureStay Plus Hotel by Best Western Gold Beach
Azalea Lodge
Azalea Lodge
#5 of 8 in Gold Beach

Been to Ireland's Rustic Lodges? Share your experiences!