“Great Value and nice rooms on the beach” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pacific Reef Hotel - Gold Beach

Pacific Reef Hotel - Gold Beach
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Gold Beach
San Leandro, California
“Great Value and nice rooms on the beach”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon and we were pleasantly surprised by this hotel. It was our first stop on a northwest tour and the rooms were very clean and updated. Our room was the king ocean view on the second floor. The high ceilings made the room seem very open and roomy. The beds were not the most comfortable but were nice enough. I would recommend the rooms with a balcony, the hotel offered rocking chairs and a table so that you could get a view of the ocean. The beach was walking distance and on the hotel property, but it was not right up against it, so bring your binoculars. The Pacific Reef gives you a discount voucher for breakfast at the restaurant next door "The Chowder House", and I don't recommend it. Overall great hotel for the price, not overly romantic but still very nice.

Room Tip: Room 24 was great- Second floor ocean view is highly recommended.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amanda E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
Seattle, WA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013 via mobile

Recently stayed three nights here trying to do a relatively cheap vacation on the coast. It's important to understand that here are three very different types of rooms here: there are fancy condos and deluxe rooms that look out at the ocean and are set down and away from the main road. And then there are the basic rooms that are a traditional motel setup, next to the road and with a view of the parking lot.

The latter is where we stayed. Overall, it was a good bargain and I would not have paid the extra $40 a night for one of the ocean view rooms. The basic rooms are very small and feel very basic but it was clean and in good repair. The beach is a short walk across the dunes and our experience was good overall. It's nothing outstanding but it was decent accommodations.

The biggest complaint was the wifi, which was so slow and unreliable it may as well have not been offered.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
San Carlos, California, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

We rented a family suite, 2nd story, and on the surface, it seemed great. It was a huge place in a great beach location. We were greeted by a very pleasant staff. The room had an amazing view and a bank of windows ... that promptly needed to be opened to air the place out. It was an OVEN. We opened all the windows we could, set up fans and left the door open. We settled in and got the kids ready for bed, and that is when we noticed some ants. And then more ants. Ants everywhere. The little black sweet-ants were all over the bathroom. And the kitchenette. And the next morning, they apparently set up shop in my 9 year old's suitcase. I still have her suitcase in the garage and have cleaned it twice. And this seems a little princessy to complain about, but one tv had cable and the other was analog -- which for kids on vacation, kinda stunk. My Mister dispatched one of the largest spiders I have ever seen in a hotel room (shudder) and we left quickly the next am.... not really wanting to spend any more time there.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Jessica G
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

I have stayed at this hotel five times over the past eighteen years. I have seen the hotel go through many changes, and ownership changes over the years. I have always stayed at one (the same room three times) of the ground floor beach view rooms. I have always brought my dogs and have a taken a picture of each of my dogs over (four different dogs) the last eighteen years from the same spot off the small outdoor balcony overlooking the ocean.
The most recent room redecoration is beautfiul, with the hard wood floors, the microwave, frig, the redsined bathroom...The whirllpool and sauna was under reconstruction while I was there this trip---disappointing, but I look forward to what the new ownership does with its redecoration.
I only was able to stay one night this trip, although I asked for an extra night, but not surprisingly the same dog-friendly room was not available. HOWEVER, I will be back!
Stay a couple of nights and during the day drive south down the coast and hike along the beach and enjoy some of the best west coast beach sceneary.
I love the beach behind the hotel. It is cold and windy---bring a windbreaker, go beachcombing, walk, enjoy the amazing sunsets.
The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful.
Go and enjoy.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

This is a great place to stay on the Oregon Coast. The day we rolled in, it was foggy in Brookings but clear and nice in Gold Beach, just a half hour north.We had 4 adults and a baby in an upstairs oceanview condo (#2) and the rooms, furnishings, and view were all terrific. The path down to the beach is an easy walk and it's a great stretch of beach to walk, relax, and play on.
The king bed upstairs was very comfortable, and there were no complaints about the murphy bed downstairs. There's a nice deck upstairs with rocking chairs to while away the time while taking in the ocean and all its glory. Bathrooms upstairs and down are convenient.The kitchen is fully equipped. Everything is clean and in good repair throughout.
But wait...resort? What am I missing here? Most resorts I've been to have a swimming pool and hot tub. This had no pool and a non-working hot tub, which apparently has been out of commission for an extended period of time. The internet reception was not adequate. The food in the Chowder House next door was disappointing -- got 2 bowls of "clam chowder" and between them, there was ONE clam in ONE of the bowls, NONE in the other. Also, I called the front desk three times around 5-7 pm and never got an answer.
So, I'll give the accommodations 4 stars, but don't expect the amenities that usually accompany what you think of when you think "resort", because they just ain't here. As long as you don't have those expectations, you'll most likey be happy!

Room Tip: The oceanview condos are excellent
Santa Maria, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

This hotel was a fine place to spend a quick night as we traveled through the area. If it had been our destination I would have been disappointed. We stayed in one of the small rooms off the front parking lot and from other reviews I now see that the larger condo rooms closer to the beach are probably much nicer. Our room was adequate for the most part, old bedding and decor, very nice towels. My one real criticism is that when I went to get in the shower I saw pink and black mold - yuck!

• Stayed July 2013
Bay City, Oregon, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

Our room was fairly spacious, nicely decorated, with a large balcony that had two new rocking chairs - we enjoyed watching the sunset in the rockers. A nice view of the ocean, with a short trail leading to the beach. The only downside was a sagging mattress and a none-too-happy skunk in the neighborhood. We would definitely stay here again.