“This place was noisy and not a good experience!”
Review of Pacific Reef Hotel

Pacific Reef Hotel
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Gold Beach
Reviewed 20 August 2013

DO NOT reserve the Economy rooms, they are in the parking lot, lots of foot traffic, noisy cars and people talking, and right across the street from a noisy gas station. Ding-Ding, all night. The room itself was fine, the location sucked. Also, their restaurant is terrible. There IS NOT A GIFT SHOP, NO CAFE, and they do not serve great food and the service was slow. Their sign says Gift Shop, but there has never been one. They do have decent fudge, and that was it, The front desk does not carry or keep in stock any toiletries, paper plates or napkins, cutlery, or anything like that, but they do provide a microwave and fridge in the room. Had to walk to the restaurant to get these things and they only had china to offer me, no take out stuff. Everything shuts down at 5PM on a Saturday as well. Will never go back here again. Brookings is a much better choice with better everything.

Room Tip: Choose the condo or go somewhere else entirely.
2  Thank 999Anonymous123
There are newer reviews for Pacific Reef Hotel

Reviewed 13 August 2013

Located right on the main highway toward the south end of town. Front desk very nice and helpful. Be prepared for a possible problem getting on the Internet. We had a problem with our I-pads. Our room had a great ocean view and there is a path to the shore behind the hotel. The room was clean and quiet. Parking was OK.

Reviewed 11 August 2013

I'd like to begin by saying the staff was very friendly and would have made things right, if they could have.
The rooms...We had three rooms that were billed as ocean view. And by the looks of the photos on the website It appeared that our rooms would have been on the beach. Well they weren't at all close to the ocean. In fact sitting on our patio, I couldn't even see a wave. Walking to the ocean was not possible for my two traveling companions, so we paid for an ocean view, but we're reminded of the old joke "where is the periscope?" As for the rooms, themselves one was carpeted and filthy, stained. One had stained area rugs. One room had a lovely down comforter, I was handed two old wrinkled blankets, as there was no comforter for my room. Curtains and screens did not close fully, leaving a sense of vulnerability on the ground floor. We will say the rooms were well soundproofed and the heater worked well. All in all for $148.73 a night it is way overpriced.

Room Tip: 2nd floor if you want to see the ocean. Ask for newer rooms, as they are all priced the same.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Slant7
Reviewed 9 August 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon and we were pleasantly surprised by this hotel. It was our first stop on a northwest tour and the rooms were very clean and updated. Our room was the king ocean view on the second floor. The high ceilings made the room seem very open and roomy. The beds were not the most comfortable but were nice enough. I would recommend the rooms with a balcony, the hotel offered rocking chairs and a table so that you could get a view of the ocean. The beach was walking distance and on the hotel property, but it was not right up against it, so bring your binoculars. The Pacific Reef gives you a discount voucher for breakfast at the restaurant next door "The Chowder House", and I don't recommend it. Overall great hotel for the price, not overly romantic but still very nice.

Room Tip: Room 24 was great- Second floor ocean view is highly recommended.
1  Thank Amanda E
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Recently stayed three nights here trying to do a relatively cheap vacation on the coast. It's important to understand that here are three very different types of rooms here: there are fancy condos and deluxe rooms that look out at the ocean and are set down and away from the main road. And then there are the basic rooms that are a traditional motel setup, next to the road and with a view of the parking lot.

The latter is where we stayed. Overall, it was a good bargain and I would not have paid the extra $40 a night for one of the ocean view rooms. The basic rooms are very small and feel very basic but it was clean and in good repair. The beach is a short walk across the dunes and our experience was good overall. It's nothing outstanding but it was decent accommodations.

The biggest complaint was the wifi, which was so slow and unreliable it may as well have not been offered.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2013

We rented a family suite, 2nd story, and on the surface, it seemed great. It was a huge place in a great beach location. We were greeted by a very pleasant staff. The room had an amazing view and a bank of windows ... that promptly needed to be opened to air the place out. It was an OVEN. We opened all the windows we could, set up fans and left the door open. We settled in and got the kids ready for bed, and that is when we noticed some ants. And then more ants. Ants everywhere. The little black sweet-ants were all over the bathroom. And the kitchenette. And the next morning, they apparently set up shop in my 9 year old's suitcase. I still have her suitcase in the garage and have cleaned it twice. And this seems a little princessy to complain about, but one tv had cable and the other was analog -- which for kids on vacation, kinda stunk. My Mister dispatched one of the largest spiders I have ever seen in a hotel room (shudder) and we left quickly the next am.... not really wanting to spend any more time there.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Jessica G
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I have stayed at this hotel five times over the past eighteen years. I have seen the hotel go through many changes, and ownership changes over the years. I have always stayed at one (the same room three times) of the ground floor beach view rooms. I have always brought my dogs and have a taken a picture of each of my dogs over (four different dogs) the last eighteen years from the same spot off the small outdoor balcony overlooking the ocean.
The most recent room redecoration is beautfiul, with the hard wood floors, the microwave, frig, the redsined bathroom...The whirllpool and sauna was under reconstruction while I was there this trip---disappointing, but I look forward to what the new ownership does with its redecoration.
I only was able to stay one night this trip, although I asked for an extra night, but not surprisingly the same dog-friendly room was not available. HOWEVER, I will be back!
Stay a couple of nights and during the day drive south down the coast and hike along the beach and enjoy some of the best west coast beach sceneary.
I love the beach behind the hotel. It is cold and windy---bring a windbreaker, go beachcombing, walk, enjoy the amazing sunsets.
The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful.
Go and enjoy.