“Excellent hotel, but let me tell you about the drive...”

Pacific Reef Hotel - Gold Beach
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Gold Beach
Marshall, Minnesota, United States
“Excellent hotel, but let me tell you about the drive...”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

My wife and I stayed there the night of September 8th. We started the day at Crater Lake National Park. From Crater Lake, our GPS directed us to I-5 and then had us take the Merlin exit (believe Exit# 61 just north of Grants Pass). We went into the 90 mile drive from I-5 to Gold Beach expecting a scenic but curvy road. I can't remember the amount of time our GPS recommended for this drive, but I believe it was anywhere from 2 to 2 1/2 hours. This road is nicely drawn on my 2013 Rand McNally Atlas too. The first 10-15 miles were fine, and the last 15-20 miles were fine. The 60+ miles in the middle were very frustrating! In the simplest sense, these 60 miles were on a paved logging road. The road had no painted lines and no guard rails; plus, there were stretches of pure gravel, stretches of cracked pavement and stretches with rocks on the pavement. The road was not very wide - definitely not a comfortable width for RVs, campers, etc. For the majority of the time, I drove between 20-30mph. The 90 mile drive took us 3 to 4 hours. Since I am not from Oregon or the Pacific Northwest, I can't advise you on a great route to take from I-5 to Gold Beach; however, if you are anxious to get to Gold Beach or even the ocean, I strongly recommend you take a different route. On the positive side, we loved the hotel!! The front desk service, our large and clean room, the view of the ocean from our patio room, the nearby sound of the ocean and the delicious food from the Chowder House made our stay perfect! We can't say enough about this wonderful hotel and can't wait to stay there again! The only frustrating part of hotel was the sandy walk to the beach which was expected. My wife is in a power wheelchair, so she was unable to enjoy the beach. Hopefully some day, the city, hotel or whomever will pave or boardwalk the trail to the beach so that people with all abilities can easily enjoy the ocean.

Room Tip: Spend a few extra dollars and stay in the rooms facing the ocean.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mike O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
Coos Bay, Oregon, United States
Reviewed 1 September 2013

we stayed a night at the condo for anniversary absolutely gorgeous condo stay great view of the ocean and the room was a omg feeling the rooms were clean and we slept like babies had everthing we needed up to the wine glasses in the cupboard along with the coffee pot ready to go in the morning thanks so much

Medford, Oregon
Reviewed 20 August 2013

DO NOT reserve the Economy rooms, they are in the parking lot, lots of foot traffic, noisy cars and people talking, and right across the street from a noisy gas station. Ding-Ding, all night. The room itself was fine, the location sucked. Also, their restaurant is terrible. There IS NOT A GIFT SHOP, NO CAFE, and they do not serve great food and the service was slow. Their sign says Gift Shop, but there has never been one. They do have decent fudge, and that was it, The front desk does not carry or keep in stock any toiletries, paper plates or napkins, cutlery, or anything like that, but they do provide a microwave and fridge in the room. Had to walk to the restaurant to get these things and they only had china to offer me, no take out stuff. Everything shuts down at 5PM on a Saturday as well. Will never go back here again. Brookings is a much better choice with better everything.

Room Tip: Choose the condo or go somewhere else entirely.
2 Thank 999Anonymous123
Calabasas, California
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Located right on the main highway toward the south end of town. Front desk very nice and helpful. Be prepared for a possible problem getting on the Internet. We had a problem with our I-pads. Our room had a great ocean view and there is a path to the shore behind the hotel. The room was clean and quiet. Parking was OK.

Oregon
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I'd like to begin by saying the staff was very friendly and would have made things right, if they could have.
The rooms...We had three rooms that were billed as ocean view. And by the looks of the photos on the website It appeared that our rooms would have been on the beach. Well they weren't at all close to the ocean. In fact sitting on our patio, I couldn't even see a wave. Walking to the ocean was not possible for my two traveling companions, so we paid for an ocean view, but we're reminded of the old joke "where is the periscope?" As for the rooms, themselves one was carpeted and filthy, stained. One had stained area rugs. One room had a lovely down comforter, I was handed two old wrinkled blankets, as there was no comforter for my room. Curtains and screens did not close fully, leaving a sense of vulnerability on the ground floor. We will say the rooms were well soundproofed and the heater worked well. All in all for $148.73 a night it is way overpriced.

Room Tip: 2nd floor if you want to see the ocean. Ask for newer rooms, as they are all priced the same.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Slant7
San Leandro, California
Reviewed 9 August 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon and we were pleasantly surprised by this hotel. It was our first stop on a northwest tour and the rooms were very clean and updated. Our room was the king ocean view on the second floor. The high ceilings made the room seem very open and roomy. The beds were not the most comfortable but were nice enough. I would recommend the rooms with a balcony, the hotel offered rocking chairs and a table so that you could get a view of the ocean. The beach was walking distance and on the hotel property, but it was not right up against it, so bring your binoculars. The Pacific Reef gives you a discount voucher for breakfast at the restaurant next door "The Chowder House", and I don't recommend it. Overall great hotel for the price, not overly romantic but still very nice.

Room Tip: Room 24 was great- Second floor ocean view is highly recommended.
1 Thank Amanda E
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 8 August 2013 via mobile

Recently stayed three nights here trying to do a relatively cheap vacation on the coast. It's important to understand that here are three very different types of rooms here: there are fancy condos and deluxe rooms that look out at the ocean and are set down and away from the main road. And then there are the basic rooms that are a traditional motel setup, next to the road and with a view of the parking lot.

The latter is where we stayed. Overall, it was a good bargain and I would not have paid the extra $40 a night for one of the ocean view rooms. The basic rooms are very small and feel very basic but it was clean and in good repair. The beach is a short walk across the dunes and our experience was good overall. It's nothing outstanding but it was decent accommodations.

The biggest complaint was the wifi, which was so slow and unreliable it may as well have not been offered.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple