“Loved this place!”
Review of Pacific Reef Hotel

Pacific Reef Hotel
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Gold Beach
Reviewed 1 September 2010

We stayed in a king bed room on the second floor overlooking the ocean. I couldn't believe how perfect it was, we sat on the balcony every night with a glass of wine and listened to the ocean. The room was fantastic! We left the door open each night, so peaceful. Breakfast was ok, we were just happy to have something to eat, the woman who takes care of it was so friendly! This was our first time to Oregon and we loved it so much! Definitely will be back and will stay here!! Also, if you go to Gold Beach you must eat at Anna's Place, a little wine bar and bistro in town. Combine the restaurant with the hotel and it was a great trip for my boyfriend and I!

Management response:Responded 9 September 2010

Thank you for your review of our resort. We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed our luxury oceanfront room, the fresh ocean breeze is such a treat for us all. Thank you for your compliments of our breakfast room staff, both ladies receive positive reviews quite often. We appreciate being a positive experience during your first trip to Oregon, we look forward to your next visit.

There are newer reviews for Pacific Reef Hotel

Reviewed 26 August 2010

We arrived in Gold Beach on a lovely day in August. The service at the desk was prompt and friendly.

Went to our room that overlooked the ocean.

Opened the door, and .... NOISE. The County Fairgrounds is next door, and noise from the generators and rides totally ruined it. We could not leave the door open, which would have been very pleasant because of that. We had a taste of what it could be like the next morning after the fair had shut down, as it was quiet, and we could hear the ocean.

So, just check the fairground schedule before booking.

That said...

The motel was decent. We liked the location right on the beach. It's a windy beach, so you may not get a lot of warm beach time, but Oregon is like that.

The rooms were clean. The provided breakfast was a continental breakfast. Adequate.

Reviewed 22 August 2010

I first discovered Pacific Reef by accident, a few years back, during a trip down the pacific coast highway, and vowed I would return someday for a long, more leisure extended stay. I did so this past winter, and to my surprise, it was even more delightful this time. The new manager and staff, I observed, went out of their way to make their guests feel welcome, in a very friendly manner. Easy access to the beach makes walks at sunrise/sunset along the ocean quite an experience. This trip I found they had expanded their breakfast, which in all honesty, the first time was rather dismal for such a first class resort. I extended my stay this time, and stayed in both the motel, and the ocean view properties, both of which I found clean and refreshing. Everyone was very kind and friendly, and answered any questions I had about restaurants in the area. I found the hot tub and area very clean and enjoyable after a long day of sightseeing. I look forward to staying there again this winter during my travels. I call the resort directly, and had no problems with my reservations.
William Floyd Bonners Ferry Idaho

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank foggymtns
Management response:Responded 9 September 2010

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your compliments of our staff and the improvements we are all working on. We look forward to your return visit this year, you will enjoy the updates we have made since you were here last. Thank you for alerting traveler's to phone the resort directly to insure a easy, problem free reservation.

Reviewed 17 August 2010

We have never been to a more horrible motel/hotel. The reservations were a fiasco from the very start! I booked online at Travelociy.com. When our reservation was confirmed it said the motel was in Crescent City California. I cancelled right away. We called Pacific Reef Resort and the front desk said they had no available rooms anyway and didnt understand why it was letting my book online! I went ahead and made a reservation at Motel 6 (which I really wish I would have kept). When I went to my bank account online Pacific Reef Resort had already charged me $90.47 to my debit card. I called and the front desk clerk told me she was able to switch some things around and they had a room for us! So I cancelled the reservation with Motel 6. The reason I picked this motel from the beginning was the website. The rooms whether it be the condos or the standard rooms looked beautiful! Let me just say they were far from that! Our room was fairly clean but pretty plain. The bathroom was awful. Not only was it old but the shower had black mold in it. Come on what does it take to clean that up? No fan in any part of the motel room. And there was black hair on the shower walls as wall as bathroom sink. I received an email thanking us for our stay and I replied however I have never received a reply! We will never go back to this motel or "resort"!

1  Thank DebbieJ40
Management response:Responded 9 September 2010

Thank you for your review. We are very sorry for the problems you had with the reservation you made through a third party booking agency, we understand how it upset you. We recommend calling our resort to make your reservations in the future.

Reviewed 16 August 2010

I did my research on Trip Advisor, and saw that Pacific Reef was #1, so I booked 2 nights over the weekend. Now, I feel it is my duty to rate my experience. WE WERE VERY DISAPPOINTED! Maybe there are 2 sections and we got an old room. I don't know. All I know is that it was fairly clean, but old, and not much in the way of decorating except for a 5-6' dust-covered plastic plant. The bed was about the most uncomfortable we've ever experienced in our 35 years. The heat was baseboard electric, with no air conditioning and NO FAN! The bathroom door stuck so didn't fully close. There was no bathroom fan. So, after both of us took showers, we had to open windows or it was too muggy in the room. Also, for the higher price, I expected a hair dryer, but it was my fault for not checking on that.

1  Thank sablelover
Management response:Responded 9 September 2010

Thank you for your review. We are very sorry you did not enjoy your stay at our resort. Yes, you are right there are two sections to our resort and the room you are talking about is in our budget section which we will be updating very soon. We suggest calling our hotel for reservations and a complete description of our different types of rooms to insure a pleasant stay. Again, we are sorry for your disapointment.

Reviewed 9 August 2010

This could have been a great stay, and a highlight of our 9 day California-to-Oregon road trip, but several factors ruined it and management did not take adequate responsibility, They refused to offer more than a 20% refund (granted, they did offer a free night's stay, but only in winter time, and the hotel is much too far from our home to make that practical).

The following description is exactly as I described it to the hotel's management:

"My family of four was tired, having driven for several hours down the coast that day, visiting beaches. We were all looking forward to a quiet, relaxing oceanside stay, and I had chosen Pacific Reef based on good tripadvisor.com reviews. As we pulled into the Pacific Reef parking lot, we noticed the county fair was in full swing next door (consisting of loud rides, people screaming, drag racing, and some extremely noisy power generators). At the front desk, upon check-in, we expressed concern about the next-door activity, but were assured it would be over at 5PM and the sound would not be a problem.

So we got our key and drove over to condo #3, unloaded our stuff, and were excited to be in such a nice two-story condo for the night. We opened the back sliding door, and immediately noticed the power generator at the fairgrounds was very loud. We closed the door and looked forward to the fair being over. As we began to settle in, we noticed the unpleasant smell of bacon in the downstairs area, and then realized it could also be detected while upstairs. No exhaust fan in the kitchen? I naively convinced my wife that opening the doors later would air things out and it wouldn't be a big issue.

Then we decided to do some laundry in what looked like a new, reliable washer and dryer set. We started a load of laundry and went out to get some food, assuming things would be quiet at the fairgrounds by the time we returned.

We returned at around 7PM to discover the power generators at the fair were still running as the rides were being dismantled. Then we discovered the washing machine had not been spinning, and its door would not open. All we wanted to do was relax and look at the ocean. We did not want to hear a loud power generator or deal with a broken washer. A maintenance man finally came over and explained that even he was baffled by the washer. He said you just have to keep trying and pressing buttons. This was not reassuring. Now that we had a load of soaking wet laundry that wouldn't spin, we had to keep dealing with it (trying to get it to spin and trying to get the door open), and then dry it, which took a very long time because it hadn't spun properly.

The generator next door didn't stop until around 9:45 PM. We finally opened the back door (having lived with the bacon smell this whole time), but then we experienced diesel fumes from the trucks next door that were idling in preparation to pull the rides from the fairgrounds. Fresh air and quiet was not to be had until almost 11PM.

In a nutshell, had we known there would be noise and diesel fumes late into the night, we would have not stayed at the Pacific Reef, not even with a discount. We wanted a quiet afternoon and evening near the ocean. Since we were assured at the front desk things would get quiet at 5PM, we settled in, assuming that was true. The washer and bacon smell added insult to injury. On our 9-day road trip to Oregon and back to California, this is the one night we look back on with great displeasure."

So, that was the bulk of my email to management that elicited only a repeat offer of the 20% discount, with no further apology for our lousy experience. The one thing I had forgotten to mention is that both the upstairs and downstairs toilets got clogged from normal use, and we had to plunge them both. Ugh.

To be fair, I will mention the condo was tastefully decorated, the beds were comfortable, and we ended up sleeping well. We just weren't able to appreciate ANY of the afternoon or evening time that we had counted on spending.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Von_Shmavid
Management response:Responded 9 September 2010

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are deeply sorry you were unable to fully enjoy your stay at our resort.

Reviewed 9 August 2010

I guess our experience wasn't as nice and the other reviewers. Too bad because we will never go back. We had a double, double room. Non smoking, but someone had smoked in it. We were able to try a couple other rooms even though the office manager said they were booked. She was not very friendly and didn't seem to want to help us. They were no better. She did offer us an upgraded room, but we were going to have to pay the difference! We reserved a nonsmoking room. The rooms they had left had been smoked in and we would have to pay the difference to get a room that had not been smoked in? Poor customer service. I would never run my hotel that way. Room was in wing down from office. In addition to the smell, for the price, it was decorated horribly. No decoration at all. Cheap towels, no furniture to fill up the space, bare walls, no color, mushy bed. Cold. I have felt warmer in a hospital room. The continental breakfast was continental, but the paper products used were the cheapest things I had ever seen. Can't you spend a little to make something nice there? I missed the enjoyable experience there that others had. My solution was to get into the room late and leave early. Yuk.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank bwithfam
Management response:Responded 9 September 2010

Thank you for your review. We are very sorry your visit with us was not positive. We value each and everyone of our guest. All of our rooms are non smoking. We have an area away from all rooms for people to use to smoke. We have written pet and no smoking policies that guest sign at arrival, there are severe penalties for people who choose not to abide by them. Our rooms are checked by our head housekeeper after it is cleaned by staff. It is our desire that all of our guest enjoy their stay with us, we are sorry you did not.