“Pretty Good”

Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Grants Pass
seattle, wa
“Pretty Good”
Reviewed 8 August 2012 via mobile

Rooms are a bit small, but work for an overnight stay. Beds and linens are very comfortable. Hotel is relatively quiet, location wise. They request that you are quiet between 10pm and 8am, but that is not enforced. There was a very loud group making noise past midnight, even after notifying the front desk. Price was steep for a pass through town.

• Stayed August 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed 4 August 2012

My overall conclusion is that I've paid less for a better room in similar situations, but I don't really have much to complain about or to warn other potential guests away for.

The breakfast was great! There were omelets (obviously mass-produced but still rather tasty, especially with hot sauce), fruit, cereal, sausage, yogurt, juice, and some delicious cinnamon rolls that lured me back for seconds. I didn't try the coffee or the pancake maker. The breakfast room was nice and clearly designed for business travelers (newspapers available, small tables, and a TV showing the local newscast).

The room was nice enough. The beds were comfortable, and, without the AC on, it was remarkably quiet in spite of being just downhill from the freeway. The fan in our bathroom didn't work (annoying but not a big deal), and the window seemed stuck about half an inch open. The air conditioner worked, but I didn't like it; it would shift between blowing cold air and just circulating room air so that it did regulate the room temperature well, but the fan part was on all the time. The noise of it was tolerable but not welcome.

The room did have a small refrigerator and a microwave at no additional cost, which was nice. The TV was big and capable of high definition pictures, but the TV source (local cable) was far from high definition, even including intermittent or overlaid static on many channels.

The shower was a little weird, but it did get the job done. The faucet is one of those that controls temperature at the same time it controls pressure, so hot is always full blast. The showerhead had three settings, none of which I really liked. I also found ants in the bathroom and on the nightstand--not a swarm but a total of about 20 or so. I reported that to the front desk, though, and they said they'd do something about it.

(As a side note, I know from personal experience that ants in any building are extremely difficult to get rid of, and if I have to find any bugs in a hotel room, better a small number of harmless black ants than any number of bedbugs or cockroaches. I found no pests other than those few ants who seemed to be just passing through.)

This hotel does not have a pool. However, it shares a pool with the Best Western just a few yards down the hill. Get a towel from the front desk and go enjoy it. Seriously. Go. It's worth the effort. The water is warm and inviting in the pool itself (with a deep end and a shallow end), and the hot tub was marvelous.

Front desk staff were efficient and responsive, if not overly friendly.

I'm sure there are better places to stay in Grants Pass, but this one met my needs very well.

Room Tip: Just avoid getting a room too close to the elevator. East wing might be preferable over the west win...
Plano, TX
Reviewed 24 July 2012

This hotel is old and dated. We paid $170 for the "family room" for one night. It was dirty (popcorn & debris on the floor under beds and under the a/c unit), and LOUD! We were by the elevator, but there must have been something else next to our wall, along with the elevator, for us to hear the level of noise we heard fromt he second we got there.

Breakfast was minimal, not the typical HIE -- they didn't have the signature cinnamon rolls my kids were looking forward to. I would not stay here again.

1 Thank cowboys1fam
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Grants Pass, responded to this review, 13 August 2012
Dear cowboys1fam,

We appreciate you choosing our hotel and leaving us your feedback. We strive every day to create special experiences one guest at a time and I am truly sorry we did not manage this for your stay. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the noise challenges you experienced and the unusual condition of the room you received. It is regrettable that these impacted your experience at our hotel. Your feedback will be taken into consideration in our efforts to continually monitor and improve the quality and services we offer.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Morehead, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed 21 July 2012

We arrived in Grants Pass after a day on the road driving through Hwy 101 in
California on the Redwood Highway. We had no reservations but arrived
early in the evening so we were able to get a king non smoking room
with no problem. The room was very nice and comparable to other
HEI we have stayed at. The bed was very comfortable and the free
continental breakfast the next morning was one of the best on our trip.
I probably won't be in that area again since it was a 5800 mile road
trip but if I did return I would stay at this same hotel again.
After traveling 2 lane roads for two days this hotel fit our needs
since it was next to I-5 which was our destination for the next
leg of our road trip heading northeast.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed 14 July 2012

This was our second stayat the Holiday Inn Express in Grants Pass,Oregon in less than one week. First, I booked the second stay through the Holiday Inn toll free phone # for one night,king bed with a small dog.When we arrived to check in there wasn't a room with a king bed,which wasn't a big deal. Second, the hotel wasn't aware that we had a dog. That was the first priority when I made the reservation and the main reason to stay at the Holiday Inn, Grants Pass,OR. Walking down the corridor to our room all you could smell was marijuana and it was getting stronger as we got closer to our room.Once we entered the room it didn't get much better.In fact it was getting stronger.It was coming from the room through the ajoining room door. We took a towel,rolled it up and placed it at the base of the ajoining room door but it
didn't make a difference. I called the front desk to complain about the smell of marijuana smoke and was told that we could move to another room on the opposite end of the floor. After all of the trouble with the reservation, the smell and moving to another room I was just about had it with the Holiday Inn. There was sign at the front entrance that said " No Smoking Within 10 feet from building". Nothing was done to correct the situation other than moving us around. I would hessitate at making another reservation through Holiday Inn and staying at the Holiday Inn Grants Pass, Oregon again!

3 Thank rt805
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Grants Pass, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Dear rt805,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I want to assure you our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith in our hotel and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail regarding your stay.

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed 13 July 2012

We had 2 adjoining rooms due to having 3 kids with us. The mattresses were bad, very thin and not comfortable at all. I didn't like that we had to go down 2 or 3 sets of stairs to the pool and hot tub area that is shared with the Best Western. There also isn't a bathroom down by the pool and hot tub so you have to go back up to the lobby, which was out of toilet paper. When I asked the girl at the front desk if there was a bathroom by the pool she didn't even know. The pool area was beautiful and nice that it is outside, we spent a lot of time there. We stayed 2 nights and when the maids cleaned our room they did not vacuum and did not do our kids room, which we did not notice right off as we saw ours was sort of done so we assumed theirs was until we popped our heads in later. Breakfast was typical free breakfast fare, although, a pet peeve with kids is when there isn't hot chocolate- and this did not have hot chocolate.

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor so perhaps that made our room a little more quiet than the ones lower.
Taunusstein, Germany
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Pleasantly surprised with quality of this property. Freshly maintained rooms of a reasonable size. Breakfast buffet was better than past experiences with Holiday Inn Express. Grants Pass is a reasonable stopover on the I5 corridor and this is a good place to do it.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family