“Very Mixed Emotions” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in Grants Pass
Washington State
“Very Mixed Emotions”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

This property is average, the rooms are small but suited our needs I post this for those that may need space to move around. The room was clean and comfortable....as for the staff! We stayed on May 5th and I post this so that I can say the gal that checked us in was very helpful and very sweet. The gal that checked us out on the 6th should probably have a lesson in cutomer service!!! TERRIBLE attitude. We had a coupon for $25 off our stay that was given to us from another Shilo property. It looks as if we may never be able to use this coupon; it clearly states on it that you must book your room online at shilo.com which my husband did by selectiong "best available rate" who wouldnt select this option? Upon check out the gal told us we already got a "deal" by booking online therefore we couldnt use the coupon. My husband asked her what the rate would be if we just walked in and got a room. She told us the rate and with the use of the coupon would have been a better deal. My husband told her cancel the "deal" he got by booking online and give us the walk in rate. WOW this was a mistake! This girl could have blown down the redwoods from there by huffing so horrible at us that it was uncomfortable. She would not change our rate and much back and fourth with her and our wanting to get on the road we paid the online "deal" total, took our coupon (without being able to use it) and left. This girl made NO attempt at making the customer happy. In the end it would have saved us a whopping $13.00...but she wasnt giving in. It was apparent that she did NOT want to take the time to redo any paperwork. It appears the coupon will never be used as you "must" book online and by booking online you already get a better deal OR so she tells the story. Will probably pass up this hotel next time unfortunately it IS due to this girl that was working upon checkout. Customer service is an important factor to us and this property fell way short of that.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kimmer66
shiloinns, General Manager at Shilo Inn Grants Pass, responded to this review, 18 May 2012
Dear Kimmer66,

I am so glad you were met at check-in with the Shilo standard that is welcoming and helpful. That professional customer service attitude is an absolute must throughout all the Shilo Inns. Because of your letter, I will be able to insure that we can see this problem is corrected and that it not occur again, and for that I sincerely thank you. I was very glad to speak to you over the phone and I trust that all of your issues were resolved sufficiently and that we will see you again in the future.

Thank you, again.

Mark S. Gatlin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Chico, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012 via mobile

I went through all the reviews & prices for several hotels & decided on this mainly for the $69 price. The biggest plus I discovered, was the location: on the quieter side of town even though it was just off the "main road". We were put on the ground floor; the hallways & room smelled fresh & noise was limited to guests moving in/out. We were amazed at the huge bathroom BUT no fridge/microwave!!! Our friends in another room had a smaller bathroom but did have the fridge/m-wave. Since we were just overnighters & the temperatures were cold enough, we really didn't need a fridge. The free breakfast was Very Basic, but had fruit, cereal, yogurt, hard-boiled eggs: good enough. And YES we would return!

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Salt Lake City, Utah
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

This reminded me of a seedy hotel, where hookers take their "johns". The chairs  in the room were actual computer chairs. This is where I slept for the evening. Very old, very dated furnishings. You carry your bags down two flight of stairs down, a long hall that is reminiscent of a project tenement you see in old 70's movies. The entire evening I
kept considering going out and sleeping in the back seat of the car, but I was afraid to go back out and walk down the long, musty smelling hallway. I could also hear TVs and other people in the other rooms. After reading a couple of the other reviews, they must have rooms that are different sizes, because this one was so small that there was barely room to walk around the bed. Had I chosen to unpack (which I didn't) there would not have been room to do so.  Breakfast was minimal, sweet rolls that left a lot to be desired...Seriously, sleep in your car before stopping here.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Redhot1n
shiloinns, General Manager at Shilo Inn Grants Pass, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
Dear Redhot1n,

Truly, I am disappointed that we were not able to meet your expectations. I would have hoped that you would have contacted us about the size of your room as you were undoubtedly registered in a single queen bed room and they are indeed much smaller than the rest of our rooms. If we had had another room available, I assure you that our clerk would have put you into that room at once.

I am also sorry that you had such a long walk to your room. We do have three entrances spaced equally throughout the property, one of which I’m sure would have shortened your trek.

As for our breakfast, our breakfast attendant would have been happy to show you to our various juices, bagels, cereals and milk, and our hard boiled eggs, bananas, apples and oranges, all of which I purchase fresh and locally. Our breakfast burritos and salsa were also prominently on display, next to the danish.

I hope your next experience is much more pleasant.

Very sincerely,

Travellers are raving about these Grants Pass hotels

Coos Bay, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

Stayed here with my wife and daughter on a Friday night. Very convenient location, close to freeway and on main road, but most of the hotel is set back from the road behind an embankment, so we didn't notice any road noise. Rooms are large, ours was clean, bed was firm and comfortable, poorly sound-proofed to hallway but generally quiet. Free wi-fi throughout facility was great.

Breakfast offerings aren't bad, but there's no space to eat--its self-serve as part of the lobby. Not really a problem, just plan on taking food back to your room, or to a picnic table outside if the weather is nice.

Unfortunately, the night we stayed, check-in was very slow. Neither of the two people at the desk really seemed to know what they were doing. At check-out the next morning, the clerk was abrupt and condescending. Neither experience was pleasant. Still, we got our room for $55 plus tax, which I think was fair. Would have been disappointed if I'd paid much more, though.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
shiloinns, General Manager at Shilo Inn Grants Pass, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Dear coosbaymartin,

Thank you so much for your comments and for choosing to stay with us during your recent visit.

We pride ourselves in doing the very best we can to make all of guest’s stay enjoyable and your input is very valuable towards that end.

I personally purchase our fruit and eggs locally so that they are guaranteed fresh for the morning’s breakfast and I am happy to announce that plans are to vastly expand our lobby to include a large breakfast area and business center very soon. This will also include a patio area that will be adjacent to the pool so that on the sunny gorgeous mornings we so often have here, you can choose to have your breakfast at a poolside table.

We have several new staff members that are doing their best to see that everyone is greeted properly and addressed professionally. Knowing my staff as I do, I can assure you that the negative attitude you received was not intentional. We have all reviewed your comments and are looking forward to improving on our body language and technical skills part, of which includes a customer service training class that we will all be attending this month.

I sincerely hope that in the future, you will allow us the chance to wow you with our improvements and choose again to stay with us here at Shilo Inn Grants Pass.

Yours very truly,

Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

It was a short one night stay for us; a total of 6 people slept in two rooms. Judging from the layout and lighting of the building, I am betting that this facility was built in the 60’s. Inside was a bit of a maze; I got lost on my way to the lobby to get breakfast. It must be a dog-friendly place; I saw huge dogs who were accompanying their owners to the ice machine. Fortunately, I didn’t hear any barking.
Breakfast was offered but it was minimal and there really wasn’t a place to sit down and eat. The lobby is the breakfast area and the lobby itself isn’t big at all; if all 6 of us went to the breakfast at the same time, we would have created a traffic jam. McDonald’s next door was an attractive alternative but we settle down to bagels and coffee for breakfast. There is also a Taco Bell across the street but I am not sure if they offer breakfast.
We were traveling through and just needed a place to sleep and the hotel was ok for that purpose. But the half of the group said their beds had huge sag and it hurt their backs. In fact, they were complaining about their backaches all the next day. Because of that, I have to give them a 2 out 5.
My suggestion: if you are traveling through and need a reasonably priced quick lie-down spot, go for it. If you are looking for a base camp for business/fun around the town, look elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

I called up the hotel as we were driving in the car. They quoted me a price and I asked if I booked on a travel site if they would get the reservation before I arrived. The gal on the phone was really nice and said she would match their price to make sure there wasn't a problem. The beds and shower was nice. Breakfast included some fruits, bagels, breakfast burritos, and juices.

Room Tip: This hotel was right off the freeway which was great. Dutch Bros was right around the corner, as we...