“Best To Reserve Room In Advance”
Review of Riverside Inn

Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Grants Pass
Reviewed 30 September 2013

The overall rating of this property is based on the AARP walk up rate charged on a Sunday night. At a lower room rate, the property would have been a better value and received a higher rating.

The Trip Advisor web site indicated that rooms could be rented for as little as $65 per night. The best walk up rate offered was $118 plus tax (total $129.60). At this room rate, the property is only average in value. If you can get a room rate close to the $65 advertised by booking in advance, do so. Otherwise, you may obtain better value elsewhere. We had to accept the walk up rate because we did not expect to stay in Grants Pass that night and were too tired to shop elsewhere.

First, the positives about the property. It is located on the Rogue River and has a very scenic view out the room window. One can sit on a balcony and look out over the river. The location is excellent, within walking distance of the downtown. With the exception of one employee, all of the employees were very welcoming, helpful and friendly. They seemed to really care if I was a satisfied customer. When I checked out, I was asked about the room. When I said it was only ok, I was given a coupon good for 25% off on my next visit. The rooms are reasonably large and the beds are comfortable. I can understand how most guests appreciate the property.

Now, the negatives specific to our experience. This motel is in an older building. We could hear our neighbors talking and making noise on all three sides of us. I was awakened twice by neighbors. The carpet was a drab brown and unappealing. The furniture was spartan. There was no feeling of luxury.

When we checked in, the first room we were assigned smelled moldy, so I asked for another room. The second room smelled a little musty, but was tolerable. The bathrooms in both rooms I viewed, rooms 157 and 159, had small amounts of mold on the ceiling in the bath tub area. With the motel located in a humid area, extra effort is needed to keep rooms clean, fresh and free of mold. Based on the reviews of other writers, this problem may not be as big as I am making it. However, I am sensitive to mold, so it was big for me.

One of the two queen beds in our room had animal hair on both the bed cover and sheets. The other bed appeared perfectly clean.

When we checked in, we asked for nearby restaurant recommendations. Yes, I should have looked on Trip Advisor instead. But the locals usually know a good place to eat. The front desk clerk recommended 5 restaurants within walking distance. As it was Sunday, she did not seem to know that 4 of the restaurants were closed Sundays.

After taking delivery of our assigned room, we discovered that a lamp did not work. A maintenance person came over within 5 minutes and fixed it. The lamp was not plugged in. Yes, I felt stupid for not checking. I had assumed the bulb was burned out. What guest unplugs a nightstand lamp?

Finally, we were told at check in that there would be a bountiful free breakfast provided the next morning in the dining area located in a room above the driveway. It was emphasized that waffles would be served. I figured that with the free breakfast, maybe the stay would be a good value even at $118 per night. The two dining room attendants were very courteous and attentive young ladies. There was only one waffle iron for patrons to use to make their own waffles. Yes, there was a line waiting to use it. The remaining hot items available for breakfast were modest compared to other motels charging $118 per night. We decided to eat breakfast at a restaurant down the road.

The problems we encountered can all be corrected relatively easily by a more attentive management. Hopefully, by the time you rent a room, they will be corrected.

Room Tip: Look at the room you are assigned before you move into it. Identify potential problems like I did s...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
RiversideInn, General Manager at Riverside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Thank you so much for leaving your review, I love to hear all the details! It’s helpful to know where we have some room for improvement as well as where we’re hitting the mark! I’ve taken your comments about the issue with the restaurants recommended that happened to be closed since it was Sunday and am having the staff call all the local establishments to find out their winter hours. With Grants Pass being a summer town, it’s not uncommon for restaurants that have been open 7 days a week to change their hours at the end of season. I apologize for any inconveniences you faced.

With the rate discrepancy, I apologize again. Often on third party websites, we do have special rates run for slower occupancy nights. If the rate is mentioned, staff is instructed to merely verify the rate is showing available for that date and then of course to honor the rate. The next time you do come through, if you see a lower rate online than what is quoted, please, by all means, let us know and we will gladly honor the discounted rate!

I’ll be sharing your review with the entire staff so they can see how “it’s all in the details.” I truly appreciate your review and I look forward to seeing you again in the future! When you do come back, please contact me directly when making your reservation.

Warm regards,

There are newer reviews for Riverside Inn

Reviewed 27 September 2013

We went to Grants Pass, Oregon to take a look around. We stayed at the Riverside hotel. We arrived 2 hours before check in, and they had our room ready and checked us in early. They told us at check in that they didn’t want us to smoke on the deck of the unit; we had to be at least 10 feet from any doorway.

When I asked where we could smoke, I was told anywhere on the side of the building that didn’t face the river; that included the parking lot and the pool area. At least they didn’t have that terse little note sitting on the check in desk. The staff was very friendly and helpful, informing us of the nearest restaurants in the area.

The hotel was situated on the Rogue River, and the room had a view of the river and the park that was across the river. It was a very pleasant setting.

The room was very plain but also comfortable. Our reservation included 3 nights. They had in room coffee, iron and ironing board, hair dryer and a small refrigerator. The freezer in the small fridge didn’t have enough power to keep my ice packs frozen. It kept the wine and cheese cold, but couldn’t freeze the ice packs.

The ice packs were for a torn ligament in the bottom of the foot, (plantar fasciitis) and I actually needed them. On the second night of our stay, I asked the front desk if they could place them in their freezer, which they were more than happy to do.

Since they told us that smoking was allowed in the parking lot, we used our car for the ‘smoking lounge’. The facility did have an elevator, but to use it, one had to go down at least 4 concrete steps to get to it, so I never saw anyone use the luggage cart that was available. In order to use the cart, one would have had to wheel it to one or the other end of the building to a curb; that would have been a long way to wheel the cart.

We also had to navigate these steps to get to and from our car. One night on my way back to the unit from having a smoke in the car, I stepped wrong and tripped down the steps landing on my knees on the concrete. Needless to say, this severely twisted my knee, and made for a painful day following.

After that, I decided that I would smoke on the deck anyway, to avoid any further injury. So, when I needed to smoke in the wee hours of the night, I used the deck and disposed of the butts in an efficient manner. No one made any complaints, so there was never an issue with it.

I saw at least 5 different dogs during our stay. My wife tells me that when she made the reservation that pets were not allowed. Yet, there were clearly at least 5 different dogs while we stayed there. I don’t know if the facility is pet friendly or not, but if you are considering a reservation with the family dog, call them and ask them; it may be pet friendly, (or there were a lot of people breaking the rules).

If the place is not pet friendly, then I assume that the staff really doesn’t care if you have a pet or smoke on the decks. No one ever said anything about the dogs, and no one complained about our smoking on the deck.

We used the pool area to smoke, since they had an ashtray there. When we didn’t use the pool area, we used the deck of the unit when we didn’t use the car. Oregon state law insists that smokers stay at least 10 feet from any door which is why they told us not to smoke on the deck since the deck is under 10 feet from the door. Fortunately, there was never an issue.

I would stay at this facility again. The staff was friendly and helpful, the unit comfortable, and the setting was very nice with a view of the river and all the birds that lived there. I recommend this hotel, even for smokers.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
RiversideInn, General Manager at Riverside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Wow, what a fantastic review! Thank you for putting so much thought and time into it. I passed on an extra thanks to the staff for freezing your ice packs for you, I’m glad to hear they were so accommodating. If you do happen to ever travel with a pet, please remember us. We have specific rooms which are pet friendly which explains why you did see guests with their dogs. And as stated, according to Oregon law, we do need to ask that people not smoke on their balconies. While I’m happy to hear you were able to be comfortable in your room and on your balcony as well, if the hotel becomes aware of guests smoking on the balcony we are required to ask that you stop. The smoke can go to other non-smoking balconies as well as into guestrooms which can result in a fee, which we don’t like to charge, but do inform guests of upon check in.

Thank you again for the time you took to leave your review, and I do hope you return to Riverside Inn the next time you’re through Grants Pass!

Best regards,

Reviewed 22 September 2013

All the rooms here appear to face the Rogue River and the Caveman Bridge. The views are great. You can watch jetboats go by as well as jetskis and other boaters. The balconies have chairs and a small table so you can relax all afternoon if you want. The jetboat tours dock just below at the river so this is a very convenient hotel to stay at if you're taking a tour. The rooms are clean and quite spacious.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
RiversideInn, General Manager at Riverside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

I’m thrilled you were able to enjoy your stay so much! The views from the balcony make your room such a relaxing place to be and I’m happy you had the time to truly enjoy it. I hope you also had the time to take a jetboat tour while you were here, but even if not, I know watching them go up and down the river is fun too. I hope to see you again in the future, thank you for leaving a review!

Warm regards.

Reviewed 20 September 2013

Talk about a great place to stay. We spent 4 nights here and have nothing but nice things to say about our stay. First and most importantly, every single person we encountered was very friendly and had a smile on their face. We took advantage of the FREE continental breakfast everyday, and the choice of breakfast items was really nice. They even have a waffle maker set up, and cups filled with batter and all you have to do is pour and cook. Great idea! They had cereal, yogurt, bagels, English muffins, hard boiled eggs, etc. the most enjoyable part of breakfast were the "breakfast girls" , Jessica, Lindsay, and Melissa. The moment you walk in, they great you a good morning, and were super friendly. They were constantly working with smiles on their faces. I would also like to mention Holly at the front desk. She was very helpful when I couldn't figure out how to print my boarding pass and when I checked out.
The room itself was nice with a great view of the river. The housekeepers were also great. Miss. Doe was super nice and did a great job cleaning.
Thank you for a wonderful stay.
Lori V.

Room Tip: We stayed on 3rd floor, but I think all the rooms have a good view of the river. Pillows were a litt...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
RiversideInn, General Manager at Riverside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2013

What incredibly kind words! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave this review. I couldn't agree with you more about the staff members mentioned – Jessica, Lydnsey, Melissa, and Doeanne – they're all fantastic assets to the hotel and I’m so happy you were able to meet all of them during your stay. I hope you had a safe trip home and find a reason to return at some point!

Best wishes,

Reviewed 19 September 2013

This is the third time we have stayed at The Riverside Inn, and we have recommended it to two different friends. This time we felt that it was badly in need of refurbishment. The location is ideal, but the room was sadly run down. Hope there are some plans to clean and update.

Room Tip: The third floor has the best views.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
RiversideInn, General Manager at Riverside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, I appreciate all feedback. Another thank you is in order for recommending us to your friends! Word of mouth is the best advertisement any business can ask for. I’m sorry to hear you weren't as pleased with your room as you have been on past stays. I tried to research what room you may have been in with just your profile information on Trip Advisor, but I think you must have been booked under a different name. I would be very grateful if you could contact me, either via phone or email, so we can discuss your stay and any advice you may have for us moving forward. Thank you again, and I do hope I can welcome you back in the future!

Take care,

Reviewed 19 September 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in June of 2013 and absolutely loved it. The room looked out over the Rogue River, and we could actually watch the Hellgate Jet Boats go by without even getting up from watching tv on the bed, lol. It rained off and on, but it didn't dampen the spirit of the jet boat passengers one bit. Staff was very nice, and we would definately stay here again in the future.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your wonderful comments about your stay and the view from your room! I’m happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and that the staff took care of you. We’re looking forward to your return visit!

Best regards,

Reviewed 8 September 2013

Spent one night at the Riverside Inn over Labor Day Weekend in order to take the Hellgate Jet Boat (right next door, so convenient!) This place was a surprise - we had a great view of the river, a beautiful and spacious room, and a super friendly staff. And with tons more character than those chain hotels. The breakfast was just OK, but enough to get us started in the morning, waffles, bagels, yogurt, fruit, juice and coffee/tea. Grants Pass is a charming town, with some great restaurants and beautiful scenery. We will definitely return and stay at the Riverside!

1  Thank pancho29
RiversideInn, General Manager at Riverside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a nice review! Riverside Inn is very lucky to have the location right next to the banks of the Rogue River, and right next door the the Hellgate Jetboat Excursions and I’m very happy to took advantage of both! We pride ourselves on not being a “cookie cutter” style hotel like the chains can be, so I’m pleased that you took notice of this and appreciated it as well! Please stop by the next time you’re in Grants Pass, we’d love to have you back!

Until next time,