“Excellent food, great service”

Goodness Gracious Cafe & Catering
Ranked #40 of 207 Restaurants in Grants Pass
Cuisines: American
Grants Pass, Oregon, United States
“Excellent food, great service”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Goodness Gracious cafe is a small family owned restaurant in downtown Grants Pass. It is nestled among a number of retail shops and restaurants on historic G Street. The restaurant is open for breakfast and lunch 7 days a week and for dinner on at least Friday and Saturday.

Interior seating is limited but the restaurant offers sidewalk seating and a fairly spacious patio. Beer, wine and a host of non-alcoholic drinks are served.

The owners prepare most everything from real whole foods creating healthy and wholesome meals. Gluten free and vegetarian options are available. Breakfast offerings include Tri-tip, ham, or chicken and eggs, breakfast sandwiches, breakfast burritos, biscuits and gravy, and 7 grain oatmeal.

On our most recent visit Carie and her husband Phil provided a wonderful Sunday Champagne Brunch. The broad selection included creme broulee french toast (it was the bomb), quiche, eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, fresh strawberries plain and dipped in chocolate. There were some salad and desert items as well.

The lunch menu includes several sandwiches, a veggie bowl (to which one can add chicken, tri-tip or tofu), various salads, and wonderful soups. Carrie is a master at creating soups. One of my favorites was a butternut squash and tortellini soup. The restaurant usually has a special or two.

On Friday and Saturday nights during the Spring, Summer and Fall they fire up the BBQ. Steak, Tri-tips, prime rib, chicken are the sorts of dishes you can expect. My daughter is an intermittent vegetarian and she finds dishes to her liking as well.

Meals range from $6 to $14

Normally there is live music on Friday or Saturday evening that creates a great atmosphere making Goodness Gracious one of my favorite Friday after work stops for a craft beer and some BBQ.

The restaurant also provides a catering service which is very flexible and reasonably priced. They did the catering at my wedding and found that they made it worry free and easy while meeting some unique requests.

• Visited June 2014
3 Thank Matthew G

Sacramento, CA
“Quaint little downtown cafe”
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Stopped in here for lunch on the Friday before Memorial Day. I had a delicious turkey sandwich. Worth a stop!

• Visited May 2014
“Best place to eat with friends”
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

I have visited GG several times when I travel from Seattle. Always great service and food. The owners are always so welcoming and friendly. The good is always right on. I'd recommend this spot to anyone traveling from near and far.

• Visited January 2014
Grants Pass, Oregon, United States
“It Provides Food, But is Not Worthy of the name "Restaurant"”
Reviewed 23 December 2013

If you understand from the name Goodness Gracious that this is some kind of a religious zealous establishment that requires you to say grace, it is not. LOL. Well, you probably already know this but I was oblivious at first to a line in a song from which the name could be taken, so good to make sure, we start with no prejudices.

It is a nice enough looking place, a few tables, seems cozy. i do like small restaurants and try them every time I find a new one.

Oh I have no complaints about the food, it fills me nicely, it has awesome quality too. The prices are not bad for such amounts and since most people of any size cannot eat as much as myself, they can surely afford a smaller portion GG also supplies for lesser price and be satisfied.

Also cute are the various little slogans on plaques that hang on the walls, adding to the quaint nature of this establishment.

The staff...depends on your luck. Mostly I have seen deficiency of customer care(your order is not taken even without lines, you have to physically approach the counter to pay bills, the waiters still come when I am looking at the menu, but not when the menu is down and I am very ready to order.) Some waiters are slower to write down your order, some are less friendly. All these features could be considered a minor annoyance and tolerated well.

But here is my most important gripe with them, their working hours. Every single time they are closed. I tried them in the evening, when other local establishments open widely for festivals, art exhibits and other events, especially every First Friday of the month. Goodness Gracious is closed.

I go early in the morning, most restaurants are opened since the earliest hours to noon because they cater to truckers and such. Goodness Gracious is not one of those restaurants.

I thought my clock had to be wrong. I checked it with the computer and another watch, made sure I went an hour before they are supposed to close (2pm). Well, my little preplanned journey went as badly as spontaneous ones. They were still closed.

So as with some other places, I have mixed feelings. I do enjoy the food, a lot. Too bad I get to enjoy it so rarely, no matter what time of day I try, within the standard hours posted on the door, I get them only once out of 6 attempts.

It's not like they are suffering from lack of sales when they are open. Every time people know they would actually get them for a change, they sell Everything out, from breakfast to dessert. So it is not about sales, which I could understand, but about a bad financial decision, which happens to infuriate me in the way very few restaurants with good food ever could.

I refuse to allow Goodness Gracious the dignity of being called a restaurant since they barely work a few hours a day, and the only one who seems to be doing the work is the cook, not the waiters.

I don't understand the point of it being open at all. Why bother, when its doors are usually closed. I am sorry but I am used to different standards of eating out. My favorite Mexican restaurant in town for example keeps its doors open just because I went in with my family, and does not care if I was a second too late, certainly it would never refuse service within its working hours!

If you have lesser standards than myself, you could try them and will find their food pleasant. But when you have to plan a trip and cannot even count on the hours of operation stated truthfully, why would you risk a detour for something that is closed. To all who pass this town(Grants Pass) by, I would recommend to stay away from Goodness Gracious and save themselves the trouble and the frustration of hunger I had to face.

• Visited December 2013
Grants Pass, Oregon
“Beats making pancakes at home!”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

When this small restaurant first opened a couple of years ago we ate there but didn't return until this month. We went on a Saturday morning for their 8 - 11 am all you can eat pancakes. We arrived at 8 and it didn't take long for the tables to be filled. As it was quite cool the outside tables were not open. We each had the all you can eat pancakes which are made from scratch as are the syrups. That Saturday she had on offer pumpkin syrup, lemon cheesecake and bourbon maple syrup. The lemon cheesecake syrup was excellent and our favorite. The bourbon maple syrup was fairly close to regular maple syrup. Each week she changes the 3 syrups she offers. My husband opted to have his with a sausage patty. Everything we ate was excellent and I highly recommend this Grants Pass restaurant. They are now trying the pancake special on Sundays again.
After 11 on Saturday they revert to the regular menu. The service is outstanding!

• Visited October 2013