“This is my kind of camping”
Review of Motel Del Rogue

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Grants Pass
Motel Del Rogue
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Grants Pass
GreenLeadersGold level
California
“This is my kind of camping”
Reviewed 26 August 2009

The Motel Del Rogue is not a Holiday Inn or even a Motel 6. I would say it is much better! and certainly has more character. The hotel is located on the road that parallels the Rogue River and the rustic facilities provide all the basics. In sum, they represent my kind of camping: I'm in nature.... there is the river, there is the deck, and the accommodations are rustic. But, there is also hot and cold running water, cable tv, internet access, better than decent coffee, etc. If you're looking for a four star hotel with the corresponding amenities this is not the place for you. If you're looking for a clean room, bed, kitchenette in a charming setting with agreeable hosts.... that accommodates dogs.... this may be the place for you. I loved sitting on my deck listening to the river .... being the city slicker I am, at first I thought the sound I was hearing was traffic, but then I realized, there isn't any! ;-). Loved it and looking forward to going back!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Elk Grove
Reviewed 25 August 2009

Motel Del Rogue is a gem. The surroundings are peaceful and beautiful. We sat on our deck and watched birds and listened to the water. Kevin and Sylvia were very friendly and made us feel welcome. We will definitely return and next time with our kids so that they can enjoy it too.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed 24 August 2009

We loved the Motel Del Rogue; stayed for one night as a stop-over between Seattle and California and it was just perfect for our family (2 adults and 3 little kids). We had a family room with a queen bed, day bed and a separate bedroom with a queen bed. Included a full kitchen and a deck overlooking the river. The owners Constance & Kevin could not have been nicer or more helpful. If you're looking for a chain motel this is NOT the place for you; it is quaint, historic (one of the first motor-hotels in the US!), and felt like being in an old cottage. Beds were extremely comfortable and the cotton linens were great, the comforters and blankets actually felt CLEAN instead of the usual polyester stuff you want to disinfect before touching at most motels. Kitchen was well stocked (full fridge, stove, toaster, coffee maker including coffee and filters, dishes etc), and although the decor was very ecclectic and mis-matched we loved it. Had no problems with noise, though were were all exhausted so maybe we just didn't notice. Was delightful to be able to sleep with an open window that faced a river instead of a parking lot or highway. I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for something unique, independently owned, and truly one-of-a-kind. Owners told us the motel was built in 1936; don't expect to mistake it for a cookie-cutter big-chain hotel - Motel Del Rogue is really from days gone by.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
USA
Reviewed 21 August 2009

We arrived at about 10:30 in the night, and although Kevin and Constance are the only people manning the front desk, meaning they would have had to wake up pretty early in the morning, they were as welcoming as they would be had we arrived in the morning.

We had booked room #13, and my wife and daughter immediately loved it. It has a family room, a separate bedroom, a full kitchen with a huge fridge, microwave, and utensils, and all the small things were taken care of. Now, my wife has a back problem, so about a half hour later, I went back to request a couple of additional pillows even though our room had adequate, and although they had no more left, Constance gladly gave us a couple of couch pillows after making sure she put pillow covers on them.

The next day, we couldn't get our portable DVD player to play any DVD on the TV. So Kevin just replaced the slightly older TV with a newer one which had a built-in DVD player! And I can't tell you how much this helped me and my wife over the next five days in keeping the kids entertained, while we got some much needed time for ourselves. And when I casually asked Ryan, the handyman, about what I could do to kill a few hours after the Hellgate boat ride, he and Kevin tracked us down by the river sometime later just to give us some ideas. I tell you, these guys go out of their way to make your stay pleasant, and we absolutely loved our stay.

And you probably couldn't ask for a better location. On one side you have the Rogue river at your doorstep, and on the other you have the picturesque Rogue river highway. We ended up taking this highway instead of I-5 whenever we could.

The kids couldn't get enough of the ducks and geese, and enjoyed the hammock and swing in the backyard every morning and evening. Also, right outside some rooms, there are bookshelves filled with all sorts of books and magazines. They also have travel guides and videos at the front desk which you can borrow.

The only small down side is that you won't get wi-fi in all rooms (ours didn't). So make sure you get a room which has good reception if that's important.

Bottom line is, you probably have to be pretty hard to please to not like this place.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 2 August 2009

this is a well-preserved, old-fashioned motel like i used to stay at with my family back in the day. Unfortunately, most of these places are gone or are decrepit but the del Rogue survives with its' charm intact. We stayed in room 7 which was great for us staying with small kids who had their own fold-out in the other room. The kitchenette was functional and the balcony was a lovely place to have a beverage and watch the river float by.
The owners are wonderful, friendly folks who go out of their way to make you comfortable and feel welcome. If you are looking for the same old chain hotels on the highway then don't stay here but if you are willing to slow down a little and spend a couple of days then the motel del rogue is the perfect place for your family

Oregon
Reviewed 31 July 2009

If you're looking for something that is not the run-of-the-mill boxy chain (same old, same old) experience -- then this motel with room views of the river and comfortable grounds/surroundings will give you some time to relax. Sure it needs some updating and painting, but the rooms were clean and comfortable. The value is definitely there especially if you value sitting on a porch overlooking the river to sip your coffee rather than looking at a parking lot. We shared a suite (rooms 6 and 7 on their web site) that had a full kitchen in between two rooms -- and it was a perfect setup for us traveling with another couple. Our only disappointment -- our schedule only allowed one night!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
California
Reviewed 27 July 2009

We just got home from last night from a WONDERFUL visit to Grants Pass where we stayed for the first time at Motel Del Rouge(not the last). We had all o4 our kids with us ranging in age from 10-20 and they loved it as much as we did. The two youngest said over and over it was their favorite motel ever. The proprieters are the nicest people, the cats are adorable. The fact that they recycle won two thumbs up from us. I was so suprised to read a bad review that honestly I figure that this person must be hard to please because we didn't have a bad moment. I told Kevin we will be back (maybe without the kids this time). We can't wait. Thanks for a perfect vacation. The Wosnum -Riley family