“Don't judge a lodge by its lobby”

The Lodge at Riverside
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Grants Pass
Reviewed 23 July 2009

As other reviewers have stated, the lodge is a refurbished cement-block motel. It is updated, but you still know you're in an old motel. The musty smell from the air conditioner brings back days when this place probably allowed smoking. The dank smell permeated the room. We were supposed to get a room with two queen bed, but were "upgraded" to a suite since they were completely full. They knew there were four of us, but did not provide bedding for the fold out couch. The couch was extremely uncomfortable and there was no place to put the coffee table once the couch was made into a bed, so my husband ended up moving it out to the patio.

The room was also setup very strange. It was a suite with a refrigerator, but no sink. Not that we needed the kitchen features, but I think the strange setting was just another reminder that this wasn't really a lodge. For that reason, I don't think it was a good value.

The pool and hot tub were very nice and overlooked the river.

The breakfast was also nothing to speak of, cereal, hard boiled eggs, biscuits, gravy, bagels.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank SuzyQTraveler

Reviewed 21 December 2008

This is a tough one to review. I researched the place online before leaving home, and was wary about staying here, let alone in Grant's Pass in the first place. We pulled in to the lodge and realized it is an old "motel" that has been refurbished. It still resembles an upscale motor lodge on the outside, but the inside turned out to be much better than expected.

The lobby is small, but we didn't spend any time in there except for check-in and to grab cookies and milk before bedtime. The room, however, surprisingly exceeded my expectations. The bed was so comfortable, I think it was my best sleep on our week-long road trip. Triple sheeting, down pillows and down comforters are not typical for a "motor lodge" but were much appreciated. The bath amenities were Aveda, and the towels fluffy and soft. Our room was large too, with huge windows overlooking the pool and the Rogue River. I don't know that I would have appreciated the sound of jet boats roaring by, but luckily winter isn't their season.

Breakfast was ho-hum - continental delivery in a basket - but better than a lot of hotel breakfasts we've experienced in the past.

All in all, when traveling through Grant's Pass in the future, I will not think twice about booking a room here. I have a hard time staying in typical motor-lodge type places. This was a clean, quiet, comfortable, and dare I say luxurious upgrade from those types of places.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank innkeepmendo
Reviewed 24 July 2008

We booked a Master Suite and loved it. We spent many hours on our balcony watching the Hellgate jetboats come and go (and spin!) as well as the people in the park feeding geese and ducks across the river. The room was spacious and had everything we needed. We were worried about noise, but both nights were very quiet. At 10:00, one of the staff went out to make sure there was no one remaining in the pool or spa. Mornings were a different matter. People get up early here!

Another reviewer said it was too far to walk to the Riverside park, across the river, but it only took me 5 minutes. You can also walk into town and to the Hellgate jetboat office (across the street), so the lodge is very convenient, except for restaurants. The jet boat is a 'must'. We heard that the dinner 'cruise' was well worth it and the food excellent.

Both nights we ate at "River's Edge' which is only an easy ten minute drive away. Great views and food, and reasonably priced.

If you stay at the Lodge, I'd recommend requesting an upstairs unit, and try not to get 203 or 211. They're both next to the stairway and have no railing separating them from the stairway so anyone could walk onto your balcony and into your room (if the sliding doors are open).

We enjoyed the wine and cheese and cookies, which they'll let you bring to your room. The breakfast was OK, but get there early as they sometimes run out of food.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank jwob
Reviewed 28 May 2008

We have stayed at the Lodge at Riverside consistently for 3 years for Boatnik.

It is an excellent location for the children and us as adults to walk over to the Boatnik festival.

We watched jetboat races and fireworks from our hotel room. It nice on the 2nd floor.

There are good restaurants but we had to drive. Good food.

We really liked the staff. We also liked the room.

This is not the place to have a quiet stay.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank afgam
Reviewed 23 October 2007

This place is a dump! I saw the photos on the hotel website. You get the impression that it is a "lodge" on the river. The truth is that they constructed a log building in front of an old cement block motel. Our room looked nothing like the photos. It was a big bare room with nothing on the walls. It has seen better days. If I had seen what the room really looked like there would have been no way I'd have booked it. It was clean, however, and the front desk staff was very friendly.

This place is too expensive for what it is. I wouldn't pay over $60 a night for this kind of place!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
10  Thank susanhgainesville
Reviewed 21 July 2007

This is a very nice hotel that I would definitely stay at again. The beds are extremely comfortable and the room clean and very cozy and inviting. I booked a standard two-bed room without a river view for $125 which I thought was reasonable. The cheese and wine in the afternoon and the homemade cookies were a nice and welcoming touch. The breakfast was mediocre, but free, so how can I complain? A few drawbacks were that it has no on-site restaurant or cafe, so you're limited to the Mexican restaurant across the parking lot, or a car ride through unknown territory, looking for a place to eat. Also, the adorable lodge lobby they show in the picture just sits out in the parking lot, not nestled in the trees of forest as one might think. It was 109 the day we visited, so very hot and no immediate area to stroll around, unless you like asphalt. There is a beautiful park across the river, though, but you'll have to drive to it. If you're thinking of staying in their sister hotel, The Riverside Inn, DON'T. It's horrible, smelly and the noisiest place I've ever stayed in. See my review. The Lodge is the place to book.

• Stayed: July 2007
4  Thank Sonerila
Reviewed 19 July 2007

I was fortunate to be able to stay at the newly rennovated Lodge at Riverside in Grants Pass while my daughter was involved in a sporting event in the area. The hotel was recommneded as the best in the area and I am glad to say I agree. The staff was delightful upon my arrival and the new log lobby was just exquisite. I was glad to be able to relax in our spacious room complete with beautiful red plaid lounge chair, log type details and an absoluetly wonderful bed. I was sorry to go when we had to check out three days later....the balcony and the river just enhanced the relaxing stay and I found myself really enjoying the peace and quiet of this beautiful river front room. Oh and I don't want to forget the great continental breakfast...I sat by the fire and had a cup of coffee and read the paper....for someone as busy as I am my excursion into Grants Pass and my stay at the Lodge at Riverside were truly a well earned vacation. Thanks to all who have created and are creating this great getaway!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family