“Great bang for the buck.”

Extended Stay America - Portland - Gresham
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Gresham
Reviewed 29 July 2013

After pricing places in downtown Portland that were rated as high as this place I decided to save $30-$60 a night and stay here. Since this place is basically geared towards people who need an "extended stay" there really is no lobby, not like I ever hang out in one. A negative if you are wanting a gym, this place doesn't have one. This is a clean place to stay with a large room, comfortable bed, small kitchen, table to eat at, flat screen TV, and a good bathroom. I stayed on the side closest to the freeway but the noise didn't bother me. I have stayed in downtown hotels and the walls were very thin, it wasn't as bad here. The towels are the only weak point in room quality. The check-in was easy for me and the staff was nice. I recommend you keep any online reservations you print out for when you check in and out, it makes the process easier/faster. The location is close to a few fast food places, within walking distance. The parking was okay, maybe a little tight up front but there is plenty of parking on the side and back. If you aren't familiar with the area this Extended Stay is right off the freeway and a straight shot all the way to the downtown area, roughly 12 miles or less than 15 minutes. I just stayed for one night this time and saved enough in nightly cost to cover gas and parking downtown and a meal or two. My best way to recommend this place, I will stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the freeway and away from the stairwells.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Gresham, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

Hi there,

I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. It's great to hear that our location worked for you and your travel needs. I am proud of our team for the hard work they dedicate to provide you with a clean and comfortable stay! We are glad you found our friendly service at check-in and check-out efficient. I am glad to hear you enjoyed many of the benefits Extended Stay America Portland/Gresham has to offer, including great value! Once more, thank you for posting your review. We look forward to having you visit with us again in the future.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

The grounds are very nice, freeway noise a bit annoying, the rooms are clean and everything always works. However, the check-in is inconstent and usually has something missing from the phone reservation. They only have one luggage carrier and inconvenient access to the parking lot for it. I have never used the laundry room because it is WAY TOO expensive.
With all this said, it is much better than some of the alternatives in the Gresham area!!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the freeway
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Gresham, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Andy - I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am glad that you have always found your room to be clean and the grounds to be well maintained at our hotel. Still, I am sorry to hear that you have had issues with checking in each time you stay at our property. To ensure this does not keep happening, I am retraining our staff on how to handle check-in properly moving forward.

I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at gre@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

I made a 4 night reservation for a stay in May 2013. I called 2 days before to make sure I would have a room and get the room I asked for (King room suite listed on website). I called the night before because I got to town a day early ans asked if I could get into the room type I requested a day early. I was told that unfortunately there was a guest in the room that night but it would be mine the next so I went elsewhere for the night. Still no problem.

When I arrive I am in line behind a couple who are holding confirmed, paid reservations from a 3rd party that the house was not going to honor because they were full. The desk did not even try to place them elsewhere. When it was my turn I was told the room I reserved was not available because the guest who is in it decided to stay. I was put into a handicap room and was told that I would not be able to move. The room was a basic with a bed, chair, microwave and fridge, not the full room with the couch I reserved.

The door to the room had a crack that was an inch thick at the base and narrowed as it went up about 3 feet. You could go out of the room and see in as well as looking out into the hallway. When I went to the bathroom it appeared clean, even had the TP folded in a little arrow like they do to prove it was cleaned. But when I lifted the lid it was obvious that whoever was in the room before was not a flusher and housekeeping did not bother to lift the lid to check before folding the TP. The last issue was the oder from the AC/heater. I understand that Portland is a wet place and I know there are all sorts of things a chain can do to remove the water from the air in a building. This location choose to stuff the AC with dryer sheets to combat the issue.

I checked out he next morning and was able to find another hotel with a Sat vacancy that was only $45 a night more than I had reserved. I spoke with the manager after the weekend and she said she would look into this matter. She also refunded my stay and gave me a 1 night comp for my troubles. Interacting with eh Manager named Brandy J. I never mat her but on the phone she was professional, empathetic and took the matter in hand and tried to make it right. Thank you Brandy J.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Rob P

Rob - I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I am sorry to hear about the reservation issues you have experienced. Also we are immediately addressing the crack you described and will have the proper corrective repairs made immediately. I am incredibly sorry to read about the cleanliness of the bathroom. Not only does this fail our cleanliness standards, it is completely unacceptable. Finally I am very sorry to hear about the experience with the A/C unit in your room. We will also have this corrected immediately.

Our team is committed to satisfying our guests, so we are very thankful for your feedback. Please contact me, at gre@extendedstay.com, if you would like to discuss this further. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

I don't know where to begin. My family and I had to stay here because everything else in the Portland area was either booked or over-priced. That's what you get for trying to book the night before you stay. Outside looked good, inside was different. The lobby was small and old smelling with an attempt to cover it up. The desk lady was helpful and pleasant (the only plus). The room was not big, but did have a kitchen. The bathroom was small and smelled like cigarettes. I also had to give lessons to my family on operating the faucet in the tub as I had never seen such a convoluted handle and faucet before and had to figure it out myself. Also there was no shampoo in the room, soap, but no shampoo. The beds were small (double size) and the heater/AC unit did not have a fan blowing option, so we were either hot or cold. We went to dinner late and when we came back (9:00 PM), there was a group of people (older teens ?) just hanging out in the parking lot away from the building which put me on edge when I walked away from my car. Last, our neighbors were up all night. They were not overly noisy but we could hear the TV and people talking on and off all night long.
Breakfast was a joke, I do not consider pre-packaged muffins and granola bars breakfast as you leave the hotel. We ended up at a restaurant for that. I would not stay here again, and would not recommend this to any family looking for a place unless you are desperate.

Room Tip: Don't expect much.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Jeff V

Jeff - Thank you for providing us with details about your stay. I am sorry to hear that the lobby had a slight odor. We are in the process of planning a refresh which should certainly help, and our maintenance engineer is working to eliminate this smell in the short term. As well, regarding the shower in your room, I am working to ensure these items are replaced as soon as possible. Lastly, we do offer shampoo at the front desk upon request. I will work with my staff to ensure they are properly offering this item to our guests at the time of check-in moving forward.

I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at gre@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.

Reviewed 5 July 2013

I stayed here while relocating to Oregon. The staff was one of the highlights of my stay at this hotel. As it is designed more like a studio apartment, it is perfect for someone like me who is relocating. Full size kitchen, the bed was very comfortable and they love pets! It was a convenient location because it is readily accessible to the entire area, which made it good for scouting places out. My caveat is that if you like a good channel selection on TV, you'll be let down. Still not enough to get a poor rating. Again, for me, as much as cleanliness and quiet, the employees sell the place.

Room Tip: Rooms facing West get the breeze and sunsets. Rooms to the west get a view of Mt. Hood on a clear d...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Gresham, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2013

The staff and I read your review, and would like to thank you for writing such wonderful things about your stay. I truly appreciate your comments regarding the friendliness of the staff. We do strive to make your stay a "home away from home" experience.

Also, as a company, we are working on improving our channel selection. I appreciate your feedback on that as well.

Reviewed 9 June 2013 via mobile

We picked this hotel for our two night stay because of its easy access to the Columbia River Gorge. Rooms were large, modern and clean. The kitchen could use some more utensils though, it only had some very basic things. There was a tiny sachet of dishwasing liquid, but for two nights making dinner and breakfast that isn't really useful. There was nothing to do the dishes with either. Only one sachet of coffee, although I did get another one when I asked at reception. I read just now in some previous reviews and comments about the grab and go breakfast and free coffee, but we had no idea about that. Could be better advertised in the room or at check-in, so people know about it.

• Stayed: June 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Gresham, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2013

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. Your comments in regards to the cleanliness and space of our rooms are much appreciated; yet, I was disheartened to read that our Grab and Go Breakfast was not communicated to you. Please also know that we would be more than happy to provide you with additional dish liquid and dish cloths. I discussed your comments with the team, and we are focusing on communicating all of our features during the reservation and check in process. Your feedback is very important to us, so thank you for sharing. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at gre@extendedstay.com. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 15 May 2013

Our stay was pretty good. Room was clean and staff was nice. The kitchen was definitely lacking the basic essentials to make a meal. Decent value but nothing spectacular. We liked the location; just outside of Portland.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on non-freeway side for quietness.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Gresham, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2013

I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I am glad to read that you were pleased with the cleanliness of your room and the friendliness of the staff. I am sorry that the kitchenette in your room did not have the necessary utensils to make a meal. Our housekeeping staff is working to ensure this does not happen again by restocking each guest rooms amenities.

Please contact me directly if you have suggestions that would help make your stay more enjoyable at gre@extendedstay.com. We have added the colanders and toasters to the rooms as a direct result of guest feedback. We do value your opinion. Thank you again for posting your review. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations, in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gresham
Quality Inn Gresham
Hampton Inn Portland East
Hampton Inn Portland East
#22 of 144 in Portland
Holiday Inn Express Portland East-Troutdale

Been to Extended Stay America - Portland - Gresham? Share your experiences!