“A good balance between budget / quality”

Extended Stay America - Portland - Gresham
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Gresham
Reviewed 17 May 2014

My wife and I was looking for a quick / cheap stay. This was it. We booked it through hotels.com with free cancellation. roughly 70/night taxes included. The exterior of the hotel seemed to have just gone through renovation and looks new. Rooms though still look kinda old. The room we got includes a kitchen and the kitchenware feels long used. Carpet design looks like it is from an older generation.
All that aside, it is clean and comfortable. Spacey. Wifi is free if you are using their basic service. Its enough for facebook / emails. Dont expect to stream netflix. TV size is reasonable with HD service.
Front desk staff that served me was probably in her teens. Friendly but lack the professionalism that comes with the job. too casual in my opinion.

Overall, reasonably priced, must have car to stay though, its not by any major transit hubs.

Room Tip: First floor. easy access.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Terence F
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Gresham, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. Please accept our apologies regarding the lack of professionalism displayed at check in. Still, we are happy to know that we were able to provide accommodations that fit your needs. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you in the future, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

My experience at the Extended Stay-Gresham echoes some of the earlier comments left by other reviewers. My visit included:

1) Sleep timer on TV hardwired to shut the TV off every couple of hours—cannot disable this VERY frustrating feature
2) ESPN taking up about 1/3 of the small number of TV channel options
3) Intrusive level of questioning about the reason for my stay during check-in as a corporate guest
4) Being awoken near midnight by the sound of U.S. Marshals raiding rooms
5) Observing the hotel manager operate in a manner that was worse than simply discourteous

Housekeeping was very efficient (rooms are “refreshed” weekly), front desk staff was generally friendly, capable and welcoming (other than at the check-in interrogation), especially Sylvia, Raffi and Maya. Maintenance man (Tom?) repaired a small problem with my room swiftly and professionally.

Renovation since previous visit in 2013 was basic, but the item needing replacement the most—cheap bedspreads which slide off the bed in the middle of the night—mysteriously not upgraded to better quality.

When circumstances required that I needed to stay in the Portland area longer than initially planned, I moved to a different hotel, letting our travel booker know the major reason why: the overall atmosphere at the Extended Stay-Gresham plummeted once the new manager took over.

I figured that if the hotel was this dreary during the few hours of the day I was actually there, what must the others making this their “home away from home” (the chain’s advertising slogan) be forced to put up with? Lots of other happier environments to choose from for a place to rest my head after long, tiring work days, and where to chill out on my days off. Quite a contrast to a satisfactory stay in 2013, which had prompted this repeat reservation.

Positives:

1) The TVs will allow you to hook-up your own devices to the HDMI inputs (many hotels disable this function). This allowed me to watch my own entertainment plus preview PowerPoint presentations at full size
2) Basic free wifi speed is adequate for most tasks
3) Nearby ARCO station always comes up on the gasoline price-watching website with the lowest price per gallon in town
4) Beds comfortable (can request all-foam or all-feather pillows)
5) Kitchenette has a full-size fridge and enough equipment to warm up and eat basic meals. (Bring your own non-stick skillets if you plan on cooking real meals.)

Overall rating: AVOID. The negatives and atmosphere currently outweigh the positives.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank BonVivantPDX
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Gresham, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I’m so pleased to learn that you enjoyed our clean rooms with fully equipped kitchens and free Wi-Fi at a great value. Still, I sincerely apologize for the noise levels and the level of professionalism displayed by some members of our staff. In response to your feedback, I will meet with the staff to review our guest protocol and customer service policies. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at, gre@extendedstay.com.

Again, thank you for the comments. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better stay in the future.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Hotel refurbished in early 2014 and has been nice alternative to the higher priced hotels nearer to airport on past trips through PDX
Supermarket is 2 minute drive away, convenient for stocking the kitchenette on longer stays
Grab and go breakfast has basic non-cooked items such as granola bars, coffee and fresh fruit, oatmeal also available
New manager was very unprofessional talking loudly from her cubbyhole about other guests and staff in negative way
Won’t be booking here again due to manager/front desk attitude towards guests

Room Tip: High-numbered rooms (ending in 38 or 40 and 31 or 33) are the noisiest due to open hallway windows a...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Westy36
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Gresham, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I sincerely apologize for your experience including the level of customer service during your stay. In response to your comments, I will meet with the staff to review our guest protocol to ensure your experience is not repeated. Your feedback regarding our free grab-and-go breakfast is greatly appreciated and it will help us in our efforts to continually improve our hotel. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at, gre@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better stay in the future.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

This one was quite lovely. I'm from the area and I hate that part of town, but I didn't have any issues the entire time I was there. It was quiet and the room was nice. Kitchen huge plus! There wasn't a lot of TV channels to pick from, which is unfortunate. Other than that I had a nice trip, the rooms were big, but the bathroom wasn't. If you're going to be in a hotel for more than a week, I definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Danielle M
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Gresham, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Danielle - It is so rewarding to read that you had a satisfying stay with us. I truly appreciate your comments regarding the area and the size of your room. Please accept our apologies that the TV selection did not meet your expectations. With your feedback, this is something that we can work on in the future.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

I stayed here for five weeks. The hotel was upgraded during my stay and I finished my time in a remodeled room. I say here fifteen weeks per year. The new rooms have improved reading chairs and vastly upgraded eating and work chairs.

Staff are always efficient and friendly.

See you in April

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Bob K
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Gresham, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your newly renovated room. As well, I’m glad that our staff continues to provide you with great customer service each time you stay with us. Thank you again for your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

This is a copy of what I sent the hotel after our stay.

My family's stay at the Extended Stay America Hotel in Portland, Oregon was awful.

To begin, we were never told that they were going to be under construction at the time of our stay. We may have rethought coming here if we had known. We felt deceived when no one told us when we called to make our reservation. We waited to be checked in because they were handling another guest. He was leaving early. He only stayed a night and sounded like he had prepaid for 4 or 5 nights. All he wanted was a refund for the nights he hadn't stayed and he was told that they couldn't give him a refund because he had prepaid for the room and the computer wasn't allowing them to. He was told he would just have to call someone else to see if they could refund him. He left annoyed that there was a chance that we was going to waste about $300 on nothing. People should only pay for services rendered. He only stayed a night. It should not be that difficult to get a refund on the nights he didn't stay. This should have been the first hint that we were in for a bad experience. We were told at check in that we were going to be staying in a newly renovated room (which sounded great), but we were not told that the water was going to be turned off the next morning. Only later after the water was turned off did we notice random notes on other doors saying that the water would be off between 9am and 3pm. The signs were not on all doors, only a few others. We would have planned for it had we been told or had a note placed on our room door.

When we first entered our room, it stank; we immediately opened the windows to try and get rid of the smell, a mix of chemicals and cigarette smoke. Each morning we had to open the windows and had the them open all day to try and clear out the lingering odors. The smoke smell came from the vent in the bathroom, which permeated everything and saturated the beds. We ended up keeping the bathroom door closed to try to keep that smell out. You'd also think that a hotel with no window venting the bathroom would have an exhaust fan to keep the bathroom from fogging up, but no, not this hotel; the vent seemed to only exist to ensure the smokers in the next room could spread the joy.

The comforter on one of the beds was gross- it looked like there were dried blood stains on it, so we had to ask for another blanket.

The Kitchen was a joke. I've never stayed at a place with such an ill-equipped kitchen. We've stayed at other hotels with kitchens, like the Residence Inn, so I know what to expect. There were no cooking utensils, so we had to use plain silverware to cook with. The kitchen only had enough for two people even though four people could stay in that room. Logic would follow that if four people could stay in a room, it would be set up with a set of four plate settings. We had to go down stairs to request an extra set of everything to accommodate the three of us. We also noticed there was no sponge and when we asked for one, we were told to use the single dish towel provided to us (the one you use to dry cleaned dishes with). I cooked eggs for breakfast the first morning. I tried using the kitchen towel to clean the pot, but it, of course, didn't work. What little I did clean off ended up clogging the sink since there was no garbage disposal. We might as well have been washing dishes in the bathroom sink. We asked on four separate occasions for a sponge only to be told that they don't usually give out sponges but they would see what they could do for us. Nothing ever happened about that, despite people writing notes to remember to ask the manager (who never seemed to be around) or someone better able to handle that problem. After telling staff members that we had asked for a sponge and never getting one, all of them thought it was weird that we hadn't been given one. I don't know who's brilliant idea to cut costs by not providing us a sponge, but that idea was asinine. You've only created more work for your housekeepers who now have to wash the dishes because a towel does nothing. We were never able to clean the pot properly, so we were never able to cook any of the other food we had bought. We chose the hotel because it had the option to cook. We thought there was a fully equipped kitchen that would have some cooking utensils and proper cleaning supplies, not just access to a stove, fridge, and microwave; you know, like advertised on the website. This was an utter waste of extra money to get these 'features' so that we wouldn't have to eat out all the time. We ended up donating our food that we had intended to cook in the hotel to the local rescue mission so it wouldn't go to waste.

The bathroom had issues as well. We first noticed that the toilet paper was just sitting on the counter and not properly put away. We noticed that the bar the holds the toilet paper was missing. We had to go down to the the front desk, yet again, to ask for one. We also noticed there was no hair dryer. This is the first hotel I've ever been to where one wasn't provided. We were going to take showers the first morning after breakfast but found that the water was turned off. When we were finally able to use the showers, the tub leaked all over the floor and into the kitchen leaving a huge soapy puddle of water. They told us that they didn't have another room available to move us into, but they could have the maintenance guy come and look at it. The maintenance guy only works during the graveyard shift and would only be able to look between 11pm -7 am. So, wanting to be able to take showers, we decided to have him come at 11 pm. He came at 11:30 and spoke to my husband about the issue with the tub. He told us that it was the contractors' fault and they needed to come and fix the problem. Neither one of us found this an acceptable excuse since the hotel should have made sure everything was in working order before they gave the room out. He told us that he could try and fix it that night but didn't think we wanted him in there tearing up the floor at that hour to find the leak. He said that maybe he could find an empty room for us to take showers in if we wanted. He asked us when we would like the contractors to come into our room; we said after 11am since we were up late and didn't want to get up early. He said he would schedule them to come after 11am. I get a call at 8am telling me this plan again, which woke me up. When I'm on vacation I don't want to get up early and someone calling me the second their so-called "quiet time hours" are over is rude. The fact that we actually talked to the maintenance man the night before to work out this plan should clue them in that an 8 am call is probably not appropriate.

A note on their quiet time hours: they don't exist. All hours of the night I could hear people talking, doors slamming and loudly walking down the hallways. Maybe it was the maintenance man who has ridiculous hours. How is a maintenance man not going to make noise fixing things? You’re hotel is not like Disneyland where guest stay all day and leave at night and then the maintenance crews come in and fixes stuff. The exact opposite is true. The maintenance man should work during to day to better accommodate guests and won’t disturb people trying to sleep.

Our stay here was impressively bad. The staff seemed helpful, but in the end it looked like they were just saying stuff to make us stop complaining. This was not home away from home. They need to change your motto.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Crystal L
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Gresham, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Crystal - Thank you for providing us with details about your visit. The issues you described are truly regrettable and I apologize for your experience. I am sorry that you were not informed of our renovations when you booked your stay and that you were not notified that your water would be turned off. I also apologize that you experienced issues with your bathroom and the smell of your room. As well, I am sorry that the kitchen in your room did not meet your expectations and that you experienced noise disturbances from neighboring guests. All of your comments will be helpful as we continue to improve our guest experience. I would be happy to speak with you further about your stay. If you would like, please contact me directly, at GRE@extendedstay.com. We do hope that you will stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

here is a copy of what I sent to the company:

Myself and an associate stayed at your hotel for about 4 months. For just over 2 months the toilet in our room was broken. On weekdays we where forced to use the bathroom at the local Burger King. If we had to use the bathroom after Burger King closed we had to poop in bags and place them in the trash. We called the front desk at least 15 times about the problem, and the response would take days to weeks. The first time a worker snaked the toilet, but was only able to get it to flush barley. The second it was used again it wouldn't flush. It's not like we were doing anything strange or had heath issues. Hell we wouldn't even flush toilet paper, we would put it in the trash. After the maintenance man snaked the toilet once, unsuccessfully, he said we had to get and snake and snake it ourselves. And no matter how hard we snaked the toilet it still wouldn't work. On weekends the staff would give us the key to a dirty room so we use their bathroom, but during the week we where forced to go to Burger King or poop in a bag. Then they moved us to another room on the second floor because of the renovation. Even with all the noise it was nice because we finally had a working toilet. Hower 2 days ago at 11:30am in the morning a maid knocked on the door and said that we had an half and hour to leave because they overbooked rooms and they had no where to place us. We asked to talk to the manager, and she called him while we waited 20 min in the hallway while they discusses renovation issues. When we asked to talk to the manager, we where told he refused to speak with us and even though we had been there for 4 months and were paid up for the next 2 and a half weeks we still had to leave. They said they would refund our credit card, but we still don't know if they did that. I have never been treated to such horrible treatment by a hotel in my life and I can assure you that our company will never be sending our employees to your hotel ever again. It was bad enough ignoring the toilet, but then to kick us out with only a 1/2 hours notice after staying there for 4 months is outrageous. .

Room Tip: Run away as fast as u can
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Brady L
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Gresham, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Brady - I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. The situation surrounding your guest room you described is unacceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. As per our previous conversations, know that we are doing everything on our end to ensure this never happens again and that all communications are properly addressed. Still, if you would like to speak about this further, or need more assistance, please reach out to me at gre@extendedstay.com.

We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gresham
Quality Inn Gresham
Hampton Inn Portland East
Hampton Inn Portland East
#23 of 144 in Portland
Holiday Inn Express Portland East-Troutdale

Been to Extended Stay America - Portland - Gresham? Share your experiences!