“Worst hotel ever!! Front desk staff is incompetent”

Extended Stay America - Portland - Gresham
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Gresham
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The front desk staff at the morning of departure was very incompetent. She didn't know how to process an early check out and asked me to wait until the next shift change, almost an hour later! Her excuse was that she typically works in laundry. If she is asked to work the front desk, she should be able to perform the simplest tasks associated with that job. She should go back to the laundry room! Also, the booking company associated with the Extended Stay website are crooks! After cancelling additional reservations, I had to get my credit card company involved and dispute the charge to get my refund back!

Room Tip: Stay away from this entire chain
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Kori S
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Gresham, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Kori - We have read your comments about your stay with us and would like to take a moment to personally respond. We are very sorry for your experience during check-out. To make sure this doesn't happen again, we are going to be retraining our staff to ensure that we are able to provide every guest with the quality service they deserve. We are also sorry to read that it was so difficult for you to receive a refund through the third-party site. We will be reviewing your feedback to improve our hotel and our processes.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. Please contact us, at GRE@extendedstay.com, if you would like to discuss this further. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

When we arrived, we were told that only smoking rooms ( with two beds) were available, AFTER we booked a non smoking room the previous day on the hotel website. The room was horrible and not cleaned adequately. Thankfully the front desk clerk switched us to a non smoking queen room, gave us several pillows and blankets (to make a bed on the floor for our 10yr old) and discounted our stay. I will not give my business to this company ever again (although Cindy at the front desk needs a raise)!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Michael G
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Gresham, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

We appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. We are pleased to read your remarks about Cindy's service. However, we are very sorry that we were not able to accommodate your room request. To ensure that a situation like yours doesn't happen again, our team is going to participate in further training on accommodating guests appropriately. We are grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel.

Please do not hesitate to contact us directly, at GRE@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

This hotel has zero amenities. They do allow pets, but put us on the top floor VERY far away from any stairs or elevators...so mornings were a mad dash to get the dogs outside. There was no designated pet area, and only a small patch of grass right next to a very busy street. The breakfast was grab and go (granola bars, instant oatmeal, packaged mini muffins), the coffee was awful, and every time we tried to use the vending machines, they were out of order. There was dog poop in one of the stairwells for a week, there were people literally tailgating and drinking in the parking lot all week. My husband had something stolen out of his truck, and there were often homeless people lurking in the bushes at night. The room was adequate, but we had a family of 4 in the room, and they only provide utensils for 2. All in all, I would not stay in this hotel again. Good thing it was a corporate housing situation, otherwise Id think I wasted my money.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank abbyjcpc
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Gresham, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so we are disappointed to hear that our common areas were not kept to standard and that you did not have the kitchenware you needed. In response to your feedback, we have implemented additional security, as well as, a more thorough daily cleaning regimen for the common areas. We also recently implemented a new customizable kitchen program that allows our guests to customize their kitchen, ensuring that they receive everything they need.

We really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We hope that you will contact us directly, at GRE@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

My wife and I was looking for a quick / cheap stay. This was it. We booked it through hotels.com with free cancellation. roughly 70/night taxes included. The exterior of the hotel seemed to have just gone through renovation and looks new. Rooms though still look kinda old. The room we got includes a kitchen and the kitchenware feels long used. Carpet design looks like it is from an older generation.
All that aside, it is clean and comfortable. Spacey. Wifi is free if you are using their basic service. Its enough for facebook / emails. Dont expect to stream netflix. TV size is reasonable with HD service.
Front desk staff that served me was probably in her teens. Friendly but lack the professionalism that comes with the job. too casual in my opinion.

Overall, reasonably priced, must have car to stay though, its not by any major transit hubs.

Room Tip: First floor. easy access.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Terence F
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Gresham, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. Please accept our apologies regarding the lack of professionalism displayed at check in. Still, we are happy to know that we were able to provide accommodations that fit your needs. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you in the future, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

My experience at the Extended Stay-Gresham echoes some of the earlier comments left by other reviewers. My visit included:

1) Sleep timer on TV hardwired to shut the TV off every couple of hours—cannot disable this VERY frustrating feature
2) ESPN taking up about 1/3 of the small number of TV channel options
3) Intrusive level of questioning about the reason for my stay during check-in as a corporate guest
4) Being awoken near midnight by the sound of U.S. Marshals raiding rooms
5) Observing the hotel manager operate in a manner that was worse than simply discourteous

Housekeeping was very efficient (rooms are “refreshed” weekly), front desk staff was generally friendly, capable and welcoming (other than at the check-in interrogation), especially Sylvia, Raffi and Maya. Maintenance man (Tom?) repaired a small problem with my room swiftly and professionally.

Renovation since previous visit in 2013 was basic, but the item needing replacement the most—cheap bedspreads which slide off the bed in the middle of the night—mysteriously not upgraded to better quality.

When circumstances required that I needed to stay in the Portland area longer than initially planned, I moved to a different hotel, letting our travel booker know the major reason why: the overall atmosphere at the Extended Stay-Gresham plummeted once the new manager took over.

I figured that if the hotel was this dreary during the few hours of the day I was actually there, what must the others making this their “home away from home” (the chain’s advertising slogan) be forced to put up with? Lots of other happier environments to choose from for a place to rest my head after long, tiring work days, and where to chill out on my days off. Quite a contrast to a satisfactory stay in 2013, which had prompted this repeat reservation.

Positives:

1) The TVs will allow you to hook-up your own devices to the HDMI inputs (many hotels disable this function). This allowed me to watch my own entertainment plus preview PowerPoint presentations at full size
2) Basic free wifi speed is adequate for most tasks
3) Nearby ARCO station always comes up on the gasoline price-watching website with the lowest price per gallon in town
4) Beds comfortable (can request all-foam or all-feather pillows)
5) Kitchenette has a full-size fridge and enough equipment to warm up and eat basic meals. (Bring your own non-stick skillets if you plan on cooking real meals.)

Overall rating: AVOID. The negatives and atmosphere currently outweigh the positives.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank BonVivantPDX
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Gresham, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I’m so pleased to learn that you enjoyed our clean rooms with fully equipped kitchens and free Wi-Fi at a great value. Still, I sincerely apologize for the noise levels and the level of professionalism displayed by some members of our staff. In response to your feedback, I will meet with the staff to review our guest protocol and customer service policies. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at, gre@extendedstay.com.

Again, thank you for the comments. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better stay in the future.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Hotel refurbished in early 2014 and has been nice alternative to the higher priced hotels nearer to airport on past trips through PDX
Supermarket is 2 minute drive away, convenient for stocking the kitchenette on longer stays
Grab and go breakfast has basic non-cooked items such as granola bars, coffee and fresh fruit, oatmeal also available
New manager was very unprofessional talking loudly from her cubbyhole about other guests and staff in negative way
Won’t be booking here again due to manager/front desk attitude towards guests

Room Tip: High-numbered rooms (ending in 38 or 40 and 31 or 33) are the noisiest due to open hallway windows a...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Westy36
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Gresham, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I sincerely apologize for your experience including the level of customer service during your stay. In response to your comments, I will meet with the staff to review our guest protocol to ensure your experience is not repeated. Your feedback regarding our free grab-and-go breakfast is greatly appreciated and it will help us in our efforts to continually improve our hotel. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at, gre@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better stay in the future.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

This one was quite lovely. I'm from the area and I hate that part of town, but I didn't have any issues the entire time I was there. It was quiet and the room was nice. Kitchen huge plus! There wasn't a lot of TV channels to pick from, which is unfortunate. Other than that I had a nice trip, the rooms were big, but the bathroom wasn't. If you're going to be in a hotel for more than a week, I definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Danielle M
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Gresham, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Danielle - It is so rewarding to read that you had a satisfying stay with us. I truly appreciate your comments regarding the area and the size of your room. Please accept our apologies that the TV selection did not meet your expectations. With your feedback, this is something that we can work on in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gresham
Days Inn Portland/Gresham
Comfort Inn Columbia Gorge Gateway
Hampton Inn Portland East
Hampton Inn Portland East
#28 of 146 in Portland

Been to Extended Stay America - Portland - Gresham? Share your experiences!