“Mt Hood Rising”

Ranked #1 of 1 Happy Valley B&B and Inns
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Mt Hood Rising”
Reviewed 9 December 2011

This is the first place I've stayed that I'm truly sorry to leave. Della Duggin and Vergil are the perfect hostess and host. It started when Virgil picked us up at the Amtak Station and gave us a tour while driving us to his home. They live downstairs, so they don't just drop in to see how it is going. The rooms are huge. We stayed in the Eagle which faces Mt Hood which we saw three out of the four days there.
Breakfast is the best and you have a choice! Better than continental.
You can get coffee, juice, cook whatever in the chefs kitchen, which is bigger than my living room.
Della is great with directions and recommendations, but you have to ask. There are some superb restaurants nearby as well as shopping centers. One has Message Envy which is relaxing.
Great reception on wifi, tv, with lots of channels,NY Times. Wild deer, racoons, ducks etc. in the yard.
I heard an eagle, but didn't see it.
You get wine on arrival. Our room had a jacuzzi.
There are cats occasionally in the house, but Della tries to keep them away from guest. they come if you call sometimes.
This is by far the best B&B we've stayed in and we have traveled extensively.

Room Tip: Eagle is south east side early sun, the main room runs east to west. The other two face north
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 5 December 2011

We just got back from Portland yesterday and I knew i had to write this review!

Mt Scott Manor is absolutely gorgeous. I've stayed at quite a few B&B's but this has been the best so far. Della added personal touches like a chocolate cake and a bottle of wine. The cake was awesome!! She gave us a free upgrade as there was no one else staying there. The breakfast was wonderful and included fruit, waffles, eggs, bacon and homemade bread. We were free to help ourselves to a whole variety of snacks anytime of the day. The place is really clean and the beds so comfortable that I wanted to steal it!

The house is located on 15 acres of undeveloped land which is beautiful. We saw deer and ducks. The fact that it is located a bit away from the main town just made it even better for us. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Sip a glass of complementary wine or beer on the deck while watching the deer stroll the grounds or the racoon family visit in the evening. Della and Virgil are wonderful hosts and will make you feel right at home in their beautiful house. The rooms are spotlessly clean and the beds and pillows a dream to sleep on. In the morning, you are treated to a full breakfast of fabulous home made blueberry pancakes, eggs, choice of bacon or sausage. There was also fruit, toast, yoghurt and cereal if we wanted a lighter choice. Fruit juice, coffee and tea are always available. We found it a good base to visit downtown Portland and the Columbia River Gorge (only 20 minutes away). By far the best bed and breakfast we have ever stayed at, and the best value. We would definitely stay here again. Wendy and Steve, Calgary, Canada

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Clemson, South Carolina
Reviewed 22 July 2011

My husband and I stayed at Mt. Scott Manor on our honeymoon. We hadn't stayed at a B&B before so set our expectations low and decided we would be happy with whatever we got. We were definitely not expecting the delicious breakfasts, abundant wildlife, super clean house that we got. If you are honeymooning at Mt. Scott Manor, I definitely recommend getting the master suite. It is huge and the most private of the rooms.

For breakfast we had french toast, waffles and bacon. One day Della made us homemade bread and cookies. Everything in her cabinets was fare game if you wanted to snack and she let us put lunch meat in her fridge so we could eat lunch at the house out on the deck.

While we were there we saw 3 bucks and one doe, 2 raccoons, and a baby rabbit that their cat brought up. It was awesome getting to hold a baby rabbit in my hands. Della and Virgil live on 15 acres of undeveloped land so one day my husband and I walked on the deer trails for a good hour. It was beautiful. If you actually like animals and wildlife (unlike those other rude posters below), then you will love Mt. Scott Manor.

Della is hilarious and has a millions stories that she is happy to tell you if you sit down to talk. Virgil really is deaf, even with his hearing aid in, but he is a sweetheart who loves keeping his home beautiful and serving people.

Room Tip: If you are honeymooning at Mt. Scott Manor, I definitely recommend getting the master suite. It is h...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Roseburg, Oregon
Reviewed 25 January 2011

My Husband and I stayed for two nights and had a fantastic time. One of the best B&Bs if not THE BEST we have ever stayed at.

The place was clean and beautiful. The owners we very friendly, kind and helpful but not intrusive.

The room was so rich feeling. Double shower heads, jacuzzi, granite top, double sinks and space that gave us a feeling of a beautiful 5 Star hotel only better.

We have travel much over the years and stayed in many B&Bs including New Zealand. We both fell in love with this place and even reserved it for our daughters wedding night.

One fantastic place to stay, feel pampered, at home and yet in a wonderful get away.

We LOVED IT!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Amarillo, Texas
Reviewed 18 November 2010

I looked at previous reviews for this guest house and was amazed at the variety of responses experienced by various guests! I phoned the proprietor and spoke to one of the nicest and kindest persons imaginable. She told me that she was aware of some of the more outspoken reviews but assured me that any problems had been remedied===and she was right! Our stay was incredible===the hosts (Della & Virgil could not have been more obliging. My wife and I (both physicians) prefer high standards when vacationing and they were certainly realized at Mt. Scott .We are veteran B&B'ers and this ranks as one of the best in all categories--it is homey and sincere with amenities expected at only the more higher priced B&B's. This place is a BARGAIN and I cannot recommend it highly enough! Don't go if you expect a five star resort====this is an upscale B&B . It is as if you were visiting a friend's country estate. Della explains the lay out of the house on arrival and one has total use of the common rooms and kitchen including snacks, wine, and delicious home-made "goodies" (chocolate cake and pecan pie on our visit). We intended to stay 2 dqys and ended up staying for ten! What a wonderful and unique experience. By the way==we preferred that there not be daily maid service and she informed us that this was standard at her home but if you prefer this all one has to do is ask.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Galway1965
Portland
Reviewed 26 September 2010

I made this reservation on a whim, without reading any reviews, lesson learned.
I called to reserve a 1 night stay and asked about their policy on extending our visit, Della said I could extend during our stay she no other reservations.
I called Della to say I would be arriving shortly after dinner and she said that would be fine, I missed a call from her during my meal with my wife, her voicemail states that she was going out to dinner with Virgil and she would see us soon. My wife and I arrived to an empty house and sat in the driveway for 50min. We received a quick tour of the house and she pointed us to our room. Come the next morning at about 8:30am Della was nowhere to be found so I had a conversation with Virgil about the property and the wildlife in the area, and informed him that we would not be able to stay for the 9am breakfast or that night, He said ok, and my wife and I left.
I was recently charged for both nights stay even though I left and did not come back, Della did try to call me at 9:32PM, for what I do not know since she did not leave a voicemail.
I called her after I saw the charge on my statement, I told her I was overcharged and that I had spoke to Virgil to ensure there was no confusion, She tried to blame the misunderstanding on Virgil being deaf; I told her I noticed since he had to put in his hearing aid for us to have the conversation we did. After that she became very abrupt and told me she every right to charge me what she did, if I had a problem with it I would have to go through my credit card company and then she hung up.
I was going to write a somewhat decent review since this BnB has been lambasted previously and it seems like they have tried a little to improve, but nothing irks me more than dishonest business, The bed was nice the room was large and the view was peaceful. You can hear everything going on in the house which stole my sense of privacy with my wife since all the rooms are butted up next to each other.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank matthewdtrevino
hummersheaven, Owner at Mt. Scott Manor Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 29 October 2010
Dear Matthew, I know you are young and do many things on impulse, but your “FRAUDULENT CHARGES” title, is calling me a thief, YOU ARE THE ONE THAT CONTRACTED FOR AND RESERVED A ROOM FOR TWO NIGHTS AND THEN SKIPPED OUT, let us look at the facts; when you first contacted me you wanted to check availability and reserve the Eagle for Friday September 17th and 18th and maybe Sunday the 19th; I told you all three days were available, and requested that you tell me at your soonest or at check-in regarding Sunday so I could make it available for others, at that time I took your name, address, and telephone number, then you stated that you needed to check with your wife before fully confirming, and I said that would be fine.

You then called me back two or three hours later, you stated you did not want Friday the 17th, but you did request and reserve both Saturday and Sunday, you then provided your credit card information. Both times you contacted me it was to reserve TWO nights.

You had several opportunities the day of your arrival to cancel Sunday, and I would have accepted said cancellation, during your 15 minute orientation, when you came down and asked for the Iron and Ironing board, when you helped yourself to two designer beers, when you came down for peach cobbler and ice cream, when you got two soft drinks, and bottled waters.

You have also complained we were not home when you arrived, my response is, I do not want your running list of ESCAPADES the only reason I ask for a call prior to arrival is to get your ETA, so I can make personal plans; your first call of “four”, I received around 1:00 p.m. stating you were in Troutdale, which is less that 20 minutes from my home, then two hours later you called stating you and your wife were shopping, THEN you called around 5:00pm stating you and your wife were going to have dinner before checking in you stated it would take around two hours, your last call on my caller ID was made at 6:05 pm. Five minutes before I arrived home from having my first meal out in over four weeks.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Happy Valley
Quality Inn Gresham
#1 of 11 in Gresham
Best Western Plus Rivershore Hotel
Days Inn Clackamas Portland

Been to Mt. Scott Manor Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!