“Basic, functional, boring”

Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Hillsboro
North Carolina Mountains, North Carolina
“Basic, functional, boring”
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here one night, but it was certainly not the highlight of our visit to the area. Our room was large, but overfilled with furniture, so that it was difficult to move around. We just slept and showered there, and it was fine for that.

The fenced property is fairly large, with numerous buildings. It can be confusing finding your way around. One thing they really should fix is the lack of gates to access the street. One side of the property fronts the main street, where there are restaurants and shops nearby. Our room was near that side, but to get to the street we had to walk two blocks out of our way, to exit the property by the office. Not a big deal, but annoying, since we had to discover it the hard way.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
KimOrtiz22, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Portland Hillsboro, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you for your review - it is very important to us! Also of great importance to our staff is your safety and security while you are a guest with us. Walking to Orenco Station to visit Starbucks or one of the fun stores or restaurants there is one of the great things about our hotel and I can understand your wish for a "shortcut" off the property! If there is ever anything our staff can do to help you at Marriott hotels, please let us know. We would love to hear directly from you!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Bremerton, Washington
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We were very impressed with our room as it was clean and roomy. Although we didn't cook there, it was nice to have that option and we did use the fridge. Spent time at the pool and spa which was particularly welcome since it was so hot while we were there. The breakfast was great, with lots of variety and a nice seating area. Located in a nice area, easy access to major roads and shopping areas. All the staff members were very friendly and helpful. We'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dizzylizm0m
KimOrtiz22, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Portland Hillsboro, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you for taking time to review our TownePlace Suites by Marriott - Hillsboro! We appreciate your comments and feedback about the hotel location and staff and I am so happy that you were able to use the pool this past weekend. We just resurfaced both the pool and spa and I am happy that you were able to enjoy the weekend time you spent with our TownePlace Suites!

Kim Ortiz
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I think I should start by saying that I would highly recommend this hotel, and I would return to TownePlace Suites as my stay overall was massively enjoyable and as an all-round experience it was superb. The rooms were well appointed, very comfortable bed and surroundings. Shower very good in the bathroom and always plenty of clean soft towels.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Ed E
Rochester, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 7 October 2013

As a platinum Marriott member, I have to admit this hotel is less than desireable. Furthermore, with my corporate discount, my company was still charged $215/night which isn't unreasonable for a nice room, but not for the quality of this hotel. It is SO incredibly outdated, it's laughable. One of my favorite parts was the fact that we had a bottom floor room and could hear every single step of the people above us. Not to mention, at 6:00am a ROARING sound went off in our bathroom which sounded like a generator running. No idea what it was or why. The staff was super friendly, which was a plus. The breakfast was non-existent. One of the front desk reps was raving about the diversity in their choices, but it left one wanting for more, without question. If you're used to something like the quality of a Springhill Suites (which is just around the corner and substantially more updated), I'd suggest to go elsewhere. We chose this location for the "full kitchen" and were really disappointed. Also, the beds were HORRIFIC! I'm 28 years old and woke up with back and neck pain from the awful condition of the mattress and the flat pillows that were far too soft. I can assure you, we will not be returning to this hotel for any reason in the future.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
lsibert, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Portland Hillsboro, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry to read that your stay was less than perfect for you and I want you to know we will take your comments to heart to address your issues. I also want you to know that our property is scheduled for a renovation at the beginning of 2014 which will further take care of our "dated" looking hotel. I don't have all the new specifications yet but I know what Marriott has planned for TownePlace Suites and I am sure that the place will be looking spectacular and new again after we are through. I do hope you will come back and give us another try.

As for the breakfast, what in particular would you like to see? We are happy to try guests' suggestions if it is something we can produce in our small kitchen and we appreciate being given the opportunity to appeal to as many tastes as possible.

Finally thank you for the kind words about the staff. We pride ourselves on offering high quality Marriott guest service and I'm happy that we hit our mark for you.

Thank you again for your time and please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel if there is more that you would like to discuss.

Best Regards,

Liz
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Clean, and quiet.
A little off the beaten path, but worth it for some peace and quiet.
The suites are small but for a night, it more than did the job. The beds are a bit firm, but if you like that you will be pleased.
We missed breakfast because it ends so early, that would be my biggest let down.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Milwaukie, Oregon
Reviewed 3 June 2013

I had an unused Marriott Rewards certificate due to expire in two days. Rather than let it go to waste, decided to take a brief getaway with my sister. Our priority was a nice outdoor pool. Looked at all the photos of Marriott pools within a 50 mile radius and picked the TownePlace Suites as our #1 choice. The pool..and the hotel..exceeded our expectations. Brand new outdoor furniture lined the sparkling pool and hot tub, which was surrounded by large, lovely trees. Bliss!
Our studio suite was comfortable, too. The queen bed was great, the sofa bed was decent and we liked the large desk with comfortable chair. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. Although we were only gone overnight and were a half hour from home, we enjoyed the whole experience and came home relaxed and refreshed.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 9 May 2013

It was clean, but small. Certainly no resort or vacation spot. Not even business travel place. More of a clean motel feel than anything else. Restaurants nearby are an option. Safe area. Better choices than this one.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family