“AMAZING!!!!”

Rice NW Museum of Rocks and Minerals
Ranked #1 of 56 things to do in Hillsboro
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Rice Northwest Museum of Rocks and Minerals houses a world-class collection recognized as the finest in the Pacific Northwest and one of the best in the nation. Located just west of Portland, Oregon, in Hillsboro, the Museum showcases not only fine rocks and minerals, but also fossils, meteorites, lapidary art, and gemstones from both the Pacific Northwest and all around the world.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Stairs / lift, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
Reviewed 26 October 2013

My husband and I were looking for something to do to celebrate my birthday so we looked on trip advisor for fun things to do in Oregon and we decide to go to the Rice NW Museum of Rocks and Minerals we thought we would go here then head on to Portland but to my amazement we walked into the Museum and I was in AWW I couldn't believe how interesting the rocks are. I am a rock hound but my husband is not so much but even he was in AWW also. Don't miss this, We didn't make it to Portland because this place is so amazing and Justin who works here is great he would come tell us about the rocks then he would give us our time to look around alone then Justin would show up again and tell us more. I had the best time and to my surprise my husband really enjoyed himself to. This a must see

2  Thank Tonya M
There are newer reviews for Rice NW Museum of Rocks and Minerals

Reviewed 20 October 2013

I spent the afternoon at this home / museum. It is interesting to see that the former owners home is now a museum. I really liked the part of the museum that shows how common every day products come from rocks.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

I joined my boyfriend to this museum as he enjoys learning more about what comes from the earth. I was amazed as what I saw, I thought I would be bored, but what I saw seemed surreal.

1  Thank rmo95470
Reviewed 5 August 2013

A quaint museum with Northwest charm that houses a wealth of world class specimens! My 13 year old son and I visited the museum for a homeschool field trip. When we arrived I was leery that we had made a mistake. The exterior was clean well trimmed, but it was a house/garage and shop converted into a museum...I was worried. Upon entering the gift shop (where you get your tickets) it was clear we were in for an exciting adventure. We toured all of the goodies for purchase and received a wonderful synopses of things to do. The shop was filled with AMAZING specimens from around the NW and some foreign areas as well. After completing that space we moved through the once home, now museum space, and was continued to thrilled! This is worth the drive and entrance fee.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

My family avoided going for a couple of years, I mean really, rocks?? Our grandson's class went on a field trip and drug us there the next weekend. It was amazing!! Acouple of months later, our 8 year old grandson insisted on having a birthday party trip there for he and his friends. My favorite room was the petrified wood and the kids love what they call the 'dark' room with all of the luminescent rocks. The Rice Museum is a must see when you are in Hillsboro. I promise you won't be sorry. ........Now see what you did, I want to go back. I wonder what the grandkids are doing this weekend?