“One night here was enough”

Extended Stay America - Portland - Hillsboro
Ranked #13 of 19 Hotels in Hillsboro
Seattle, Washington
“One night here was enough”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We got bumped to this place when Courtyard failed to hold our reservation. Arrived at 11pm and got two 1st Floor rooms. Ours was small and tight w/ everything just packed in leaving very narrow walkways. The front desk was understaffed while everyone waited for service. They were "behind" on their laundry service and the bedding we needed for the pull out sofa was handed to us in a big wrinkled pile. He assured it was clean but they did not have time to fold it. The room smelled like long term smokers just moved out, there is no shampoo (just bar soap). The biggest problem is how thin the floors and walls are. I could clearly hear every word spoken by the mom to her child upstairs and every footstep they took resonated so loudly downstairs. Not a pleasant night's sleep and I could not imagine having to stay here for an extended period.

Room Tip: Stay upstairs, the first floor is very loud. Also, the place is large - you may want a room closer...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Timothy H
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Hillsboro, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. I am sorry to hear about the lack of guest service you experienced upon your arrival. In response to your feedback, I am personally looking at reconfiguring the staff schedule to avoid any lapse in service for our guests. The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. Please contact me, at phl@extendedstay.com, if you would like to discuss this further. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Hillsboro
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Our stay was very pleasant. The front desk had a trainee, so was a little slow but that was understandable. The pool was wonderful for our two granddaughters and they had a blast! The room was very clean, but when the listing said it had a "full kitchen", we were somewhat disappointed. We had 4 people in the room and the kitchen had 3 cereal bowls, 3 saucers, 2 dinner sized plates, 2 forks, 2 spoons, one butter knife, and a less than sharp small knife. There is no oven, so pizza was out of the question. The hide-a-bed also had not sheets/blankets, but when I called the front desk, they came immediately. If you want to eat out this was a great place to stay (the breakfast was WEAK)

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Hillsboro, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Marcia - Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us. It was disheartening to hear that you were unable to take full advantage of your kitchen due to a lack of kitchenware; however, it is great to hear that everyone was able to enjoy the pool! We will work with our staff to make sure we are providing adequate amounts of utensils to our guests.

Florence, OR, United States
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We rented two suites to serve as a home base in exploring Portland with our daughter and four grandchildren. The facility is very freeway-accessible and is surrounded by just about all of the restaurants, service stations, supermarkets and other amenities one might want or need, many within walking distance. The beds were comfortable and the small kitchen efficient and stocked well with dishes and cutlery. Due to the Extended Stay concept there are no services available in the hotel, and maid services are available once a week. Used towels can be traded for clean ones at the front desk daily. A continental breakfast is available in the lobby daily. There were two irritating but unimportant lapses: a mismatched TV remote that the desk man could not replace, and an inoperable ice machine on our floor. Overall, we were comfortable and pleased with the facility and would stay there again.

Room Tip: We were on the third (top) floor and experienced little noise from other guests.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Hillsboro, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. I'm pleased to hear that you found our facility to be conveniently located. I am also pleased that you enjoyed your comfortable bed and your fully equipped kitchen. Still, I do apologize that our front desk staff was not able to assist you with your TV remote. I will be discussing your comments with our maintenance staff so that they can see to repairing or replacing the remote as needed. As well, I do apologize that our ice machine on your floor was not working properly. I will meet with my maintenance staff to ensure that this issue is resolved. Thank you again for providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at phl@extendedstay.com. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay America. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.
Petersburg, Alaska
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

The first impression was pretty good. Both exterior and interior were clean and neat. The appointments of the suite was classy. The suite is said to accommodate four, but that was a tight squeeze. We had to move some furniture about to be able to extend the sofa bed. The supplied amenities in he unit's kitchen was anemic: only one fork and hardly a knife. Remember to bring your own kitchen utensils if you plan to cook.

Some details were problematic. The bathroom door was misaligned and would not latch. The sink had some unsightly scrapes. A window latch was broken. And the continental breakfast is rather meager. It became even more so during the last two mornings of our five night stay. They ran out of not chocolate packets, all muffin varieties except banana nut, all instant oatmeal packet varieties except unflavored, coffee cups were running low, and they ran out of spoons.

I think this would be fine for a couple for a few days. It was a good place to sleep, but not much more than that for us.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Horrible! Checked in, pulled the covers down and there were pubic hairs on the sheets. When I told the front desk, instead of apologizing they kept telling me how they were certain the sheets had been changed.

The trash cans in the vending areas were overflowing with dirty diapers and smelly trash.

I would never stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014

Travellers are raving about these Hillsboro hotels

Reviewed 21 July 2014

My partner and I stayed here while visiting family in the area and we were pleasantly surprised at the quality of this particular Extended Stay. It was fairly new and up-to- date; the room, though basic, was comfortable; and the cost was decent making our stay a relative value. There are also some decent shops and places to eat nearby, and good access to the highway. We'd stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Portland - Hillsboro, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your comfortable room and that you were able to take advantage of the shopping in the area. Thank you again for your kind words. The staff and I would love to provide you with another comfortable stay in the future.
Victoria, BC
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel last week for two nights with my family (husband and two children - ages 1 and 4) and I have to say that our experience was very positive. This is an excellent home base for families wanting to visit Portland without having to stay in Portland.

I think what people need to know if that this Extended Stay America is a hybrid between a hotel and a self-catered apartment. You don't get all the perks of a hotel but on the other hand, you aren't paying for the perks either. For example, if you want clean towels, you need to bring your towels down to the front desk and they will exchange them. If you want toiletries like shampoo and conditioner, you need to ask. If you need dish washing liquid for the kitchenette, you need to ask. All those items are complimentary but they aren't automatically given. There's no housekeeping service either. Maybe they'd provide housekeeping if you asked but we were only there for two nights and it wasn't necessary.

Reasons why I really liked this hotel and why I would stay here again:
1. Location: Although Hillsboro is a 15 minute drive from Portland, this hotel is situated in a prime location in regard to amenities. Whole Foods is across the street and this made it very easy to stock our fridge with necessities for breakfast and snacks. The Streets shopping mall is also across the street if anyone is interested in shopping (Macy's, Banana Republic, etc...). There are tons of restaurants within walking distance and even more within a 5 minute drive. Safeway, Target, Trader Joe's and Walmart are also on the same street (within a 5 minute drive). Oh and Starbuck's is next door so if the free coffee in the breakfast room doesn't cut it, good coffee is only minutes away.

2. The Room Itself: I like having a kitchen when I'm traveling. This one is equip with a microwave, a stove top with two burners, a full size fridge, a dishwasher, cutlery, dishes, and glasses. The layout of the room is particularly well designed. There are double doors separating the bedroom from the living room. What this meant for us is that when our kids went to sleep at 7:30 on the sofa bed and pack n play, we could stay up until 11 without bothering them. An added bonus is that each suite has two televisions - one in the living room and one in the bedroom. The room itself has a modern decor - a pleasant surprise.

3. The Pool: with our family, a pool is a necessity when we travel. The pool at the hotel is a good size and the surrounding patio has lounge chairs and umbrellas.

Why I am Not Giving 5 Stars:
1. The free grab n go breakfast is meagre. The hotel would almost be better off not advertising a free breakfast at all. Maybe just free coffee? The breakfast consisted of apples, oranges, prepackaged muffins, granola bars and hot beverages. They don't replenish the breakfast either so by 8:30 all the coffee was gone and there were only a few items left even though breakfast ends at 9:30.

2. I got tired of asking for things. As I mentioned earlier, the hotel has complimentary items upon request. After asking for a variety of different things, I felt a little embarrassed. Also, I asked for a garbage can (3 times) as our bathroom was missing one and we never got it.

3. There's no maintenance staff. At one point, our toilet clogged. When we called the front desk, they offered us a plunger. Yeah, enough said...

All in all, I think the positive attributes greatly outweigh the negative attributes. For the price we paid, I think it was a bargain. I have certainly paid more renting vacation apartments that do not offer any services. Would I stay here again? Yes. Would I recommend it to my friends who have kids. Yes.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank apollinax
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hillsboro
Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Hillsboro, Oregon
Holiday Inn - Hillsboro
Holiday Inn - Hillsboro
#6 of 19 in Hillsboro
SpringHill Suites Portland Hillsboro

Been to Extended Stay America - Portland - Hillsboro? Share your experiences!