“Secure clean” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Hillsboro
Hockessin, Delaware
“Secure clean”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

The hotel was very nice the staff very helpful. With that said the heater in my room was broken when I got in room it was 82 degrees the air conditioner would not go on it was late I was jet lagged so I opened the window and even though it went down to 45 degrees my room was still 72 degrees. They did change the heater. AC unit but the new one clicked on off on off all night and I had to keep it at high cool to make it run after. On third night I turned it off and opened the window. I reported it again and this time they changed the unit and it was fine sadly I ended up with a wicked cold at end of my vacation. With what I paid for the room this was not justified. They should have comped me or even offered to change my room after the second heater fail. The complimentary breakfast wads nice but no real warm offerings. Luckily I dealt with toast granola and yogurt . The small gym was equipped well but when I went to use the chair with the universal weights it was gone on the third day is my stay BOO...

Room Tip: Room 409 should have a good heater now!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank linda923

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Guadalajara, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

The hotel is located in a quite zone, the parking lot is big and the personal is very friendly and professional. The rooms are clean and have all the stuff that you need. The breakfast is simple but for me is ok.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
portland, oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

I needed to book a hotel for a week so I chose the Larkspur since the Orenco (my favorite) was not available. The lobby of the Larkspur is really nice and the front desk staff tries really hard to be attentive and helpful. Once you go to the room, you start to see the flaws that make me question why I was paying $100+ per night.

I was given room 128 but the signage to get to this part of the hotel was missing. Eventually I found it. The room was adjacent to an exit door outside which the smokers converged to satisfy their cravings. Their smoke drifted into the hallway (not heavy) and into 128. The room was noisy and the desk chair was worn to threads so I asked to be moved. I was given room 133.

This room was quiet and not near smokers, so that was good. Shortly after getting into the room, I noticed a water leak coming from the refrigerator as well as the bar sink faucet leaking into the sink. I reported it and was told it would be fixed the next day. No big deal, but why didn't housekeeping notice this? The next day, the maintenance guy fixed the refrigerator leak and tried to fix the sink but not completely. That's ok, I can deal with that.

On the second night, the wall-mounted heater/AC unit (you've seem them in many motels) came on as the temperature dipped outside and the room needed heat. Imagine waking up to an acrid, burnt-plastic smell that filled the room. No smoke but this smell that ended up coming out of the heater. I turned it off and opened the windows to get rid of the smell and eventually went back to sleep.

Otherwise, the room is ok. The bed is very comfortable and sleeping with those wonderful room-darkening shades is a treat. I didn't try the breakfast offered as part of the room rate.

Would I stay here again? yes, if I can get a discount.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Reno, Nevada, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

I'd like to give this hotel a "five" for customer service because the staff was fantastic during our visit, but can't do it. The hotel was average at best. The hotel is dated and appears renovated. Our room was clean, but flawed - the furniture scuffed and the leather like chairs peeling.

We got a good rate and there seem to be few hotels in this area, so we felt somewhat fortunate to have gotten a bed, which was comfortable.

The breakfast bar was terrible compared to other similar suite type hotels; although the food that was presented seemed fresh, there wasn't much of a selection and nothing hot - meat and cheese and some cereal and pastry.

The Wi-Fi WAS HORRIBLE!!!! We could not get a decent connection during the entire stay and they want you to pay for a better connection - we ended up using our own hotspot, obviously at a cost - so, Wi-Fi did not seem to be free.

The worst part of the visit was the number of smokers who have a place to smoke on a patio right near the front door - the smoke permeated into the hotel through a side door that the smokers obviously went in and out of to enter the hotel.

Again - the employees were very friendly and helpful, so this review should not reflect poorly on them - there is just no truth in advertising - Larkspur seems to have posted photos on line of one of their better hotels and should be ashamed!

If you need a hotel in this area and this is your only choice I would book it if you can get a good rate (like half off the normal rate at least), but nearly $200 per night is a rip off.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

We stayed here for 3 days/ 2 nights for an out of town wedding. We had our 3 small children with us as well. We chose to get the suite with a kitchen and seperate bedroom..we were told it had 2 queen sized beds. When we arrived we found 1 queen bed in the bedroom and a pull out hide a bed undee the couch.We pulled out the bed and found a thin mattress that was dirty and had crumbs all over it. .then found a mattress topper and bedding in a closet to makd the bed the comforter had 2 holes in it very old and used.My 3 children were so cramed on this hide a bed I felt awful for them.Our bed was so hard and uncomfortable we didnt sleep for 2 nights and in the morning had horrible backaches. The comforter consisted of a cover of some sort with a sheet on top of it? The other major problem was there was 2 towels hanging up in bathroom that was it. Bath time for kids first night we were there took care of those towels and I had to call front desk and ask for more towels he said someone would bring them right up..I got done with my shower still no towels I had to yell to my husband to hurry and go get more towels so he left room and came back with 2 towels that was all we recieved for the rest of are stay. The last day we were there I had to use a dirty towel after my shower that was on a dirty pile on the floor. House keeping never came to pick up dirty towels or give new ones..it was such a hassle to get 2 more towels the first time of asking I just said the hell with it and used a dirty one. We also got locked out of the hotel at 11 am when we had late checkout till 12 scheduled while loading our car our key cards were shut off at 11 I had to go barefoot with wet hair and 3 kids behind me to the front desk to ask for our key cards to be turned back on..they said sorry weve been having problems programming key cards. Also a downside was there was no pool? There was a tiny, tiny 2 person hot tub outside in parking lot area it had a handicap chair hoist on side of this 2 person hot tub so if you stood up you will hit your head on it not very appealing I didnt go in it. Kids had nothing to do while there. Kids would have loved to swim. And FYI breakfast is cleaned up by 10am I got there with kids at 10:05am and everything was cleaned up only 2 juice cans we managed to get. The cost to stay 2 nights was ridiculous. Not worth the money in this case it was NOT you get what you pay for motto. I would not stay at any chain of these hotels again. Very disappointing stay and when you have 3 small children with you these kind of things really make for HUGE inconveniences.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank lroos5
amyhealygm, Regional General Manager at Larkspur Landing Hillsboro, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Thank you so much for your comments. I would love the opportunity to address these issues with you directly. When issues are reported to us by guests, it is an excellent way for us to address these items immediately and help redirect our team members to get them back on track. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel directly, 503.681.2121 x502, regarding your stay.

Thank you again for your comments and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Amy Healy
Regional General Manager
Larkspur Landing Hotel
Hillsboro, Renton, Bellevue
Elk Grove, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

I love this hotel! In fact, I love ALL the Larkspur Landing hotels! You get a kitchen with a full size fridge and microwave + a cook top, dishwasher, and all the plates, glasses and silverware you need, including a corkscrew! During this visit, I stayed in the 1 bedroom so I had a living room with a fold out sofa (I didn't need it) and a separate bedroom. The bed is more comfortable than mine - not sure if it's the down pillows or not, but I have the best night's sleep. 2 TVs, 1 in the bedroom and 1 in the living room. In the bathroom there are drawers to put your stuff so the counter is not covered with products. And a lighted makeup mirror!

All of these amenities make for a very comfortable stay - not like a hotel at all, but more like home. I love it and will stay again and recommend to everyone.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Haifa, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

The hotel is nice and clean. The location is very comfortable for doing business in Hillsboro area. The breakfast is nothing special though and the free Internet connection is pretty slow. Facilities need light renovation.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business