“Spend a a little more to stay somewhere else”
Review of The Dunes Motel

The Dunes Motel
Ranked #15 of 19 Hotels in Hillsboro
Anchorage, Alaska
“Spend a a little more to stay somewhere else”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

The stale air and smoky odor throughout is a real turn-off when you first walk in. The furnishings are dated and dingy. We did not feel comfortable staying here, just wanted to leave as soon as possible. Price was attractive but next time will pay a little more to feel more comfortable and not smell like smoke.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Gretchen A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Super happy with the service. Surprise with the price and how a small hotel provide good customer service,clean rooms, microwave & refrigerator in the room .... we rent 4 rooms for are family trip... from Santa Rosa CA. and we will come back to this great place...
Thanks. =)

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Brownsville
Reviewed 12 January 2014

My husband and i stayed in this motel (5nights) while he was working in the area, as far as cheap motels go you get what you pay for. When we arrived, we checked in and things were fine, we went up to our (non-smoking) room which was right next to a smoking room so we could smell the cigarette smoke through the walls, and there was a giant yellow stain on our comforter. We looked past these things because we couldnt afford to go anywhere else. After going out to dinner one night we forgot the left overs in the car so as my husband left to go get them, the man at the front desk immediately came upstairs but as my husband walked back upstairs the man turned around and walked the other way. During the 3rd day of me being there while my husband was at work i received a phone call from "the front desk" saying they needed to come up to my room and take pictures of the furniture, then called right back and said disregard the last call, i thought that was odd so i called my husband and he came to the motel immediately and confronted the front desk but they were unsure of what i was talking about. Being uncomfortable to stay there i convinced my husband to leave the motel the next day so while he was at work, i packed everything up. The front desk became aware of us leaving so they called my room yet again (@10:40am) and said check out was at 11 even though when i cancelled through booking.com they said we had one more night. When i explained to her that i was 7 months pregnant so i couldnt carry everything down 2 flights of stairs in 20 minutes, she had no sympathy and said there was nothing she could do about it. Not to mention the beds are hard as a rock and it was always about 90° in our room even though we never once turned the heater on! If given the chance to stay somewhere else other than this motel i advise that you do!

• Stayed January 2014
3 Thank koakley52612

Travellers are raving about these Hillsboro hotels

Oakley, California
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Pleasant surprise. We got 2 rooms for our family and everything was great. The front desk was as helpful as if it was a 5 star hotel. The fridge and microwave were a welcome surprise as well. The price was perfect. We will definitely stay here again for sure!

• Stayed November 2013
Bath
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Clean room. Helpful front desk. Loads of TV channels. Half-size fridge with separate freezer compartment -- classy. Small microwave. It's on a busy road, oriented such that rooms don't face the road. Well located for Hillsboro activities. Nearby restaurants. Fairly large rooms, a little on the old side but perfectly comfortable. No complaints.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Coos Bay, Oregon
Reviewed 22 February 2013

I had never visited Hillsboro and had to find a motel close to the Civic Center for a conference I was attending the next morning. After some trepidation after reading past reviews I was cautious about booking with this local hotel. However, their room price was within reason of my budget.

I went ahead and booked the room through booking.com and followed up with a call to the motel 2 days later to confirm that they still had my reservation. I received prompt service on the phone and the desk clerk confirmed my reservation. Once I arrived at the motel I was nicely surprised to find a small hotel tucked in between 2 businesses. Upon entering the lobby, you could see that it was an older motel, but they have worked at maintaining what is important.

I was checking in quickly and found my room neat and tidy. When looking around the room you could see that they had updated the bathroom sink area with nice granite. The ceramic tile in the bathroom was very nice and the bathtub and toilet were in good repair. New microwave and nice refrigerator/freezer unit in the TV console. What was lacking was updates to the pictures on the walls and the 1980's wallpaper boarder around the ceiling. What also caught my eye was that there was a new headboard and the wall that it was attached to had been painted a mint green. Nice touch. However, they did not move the headboard before they painted the wall and there is a large white painted area behind the board.

If you are worried about paying for rooms that have "nice" this or that, This place is definitely comfortable, clean and secure feeling.

Air/Heat: For those previous reviewers that mentioned the air/heat not working, they have to only turn around to the entry wall and find the power switch for the unit. (I had to call the desk to find out. :))

Food Smells: My room was above the main office and there were "food smells" in the room, but that was quickly remedied by opening the window and running the room fan for just a few minutes.

Road noise: Being that the hotel is right on Hwy 8 you do get some road noise and city sounds (sirens) from time to time but the traffic noise does die down after dark.

Wi-Fi: I had no problems connecting or using the motel's wi-fi system. It was fast and there were no issues, no special passwords or home pages to weed through. Just pick the motel's network and you are off and running.

Bottom line: If you want a decent place to stay the night this is a great place for $50/night (Friday night). It's not Holiday Inn, or even Motel 6, but you should be able to have a nice night's sleep.

Room Tip: Rooms on the far end are quieter and are away from the street.