“Nora's table was recommended and we weren't disappointed”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Nora's Table - CLOSED

Nora's Table
Price range: US$8 - US$27
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Oak St.
Description: We are open 7 nights a week for dinner at 5:00, and 7 mornings a week for breakfast: 8 to noon, Monday-Saturday, and 8 to 1 on Sunday. Voted "best restaurant food in the Gorge" and "Best Brunch" by readers of the Gorge Guide.
Hertfordshire, UK
“Nora's table was recommended and we weren't disappointed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

This is a cool and quirky little restaurant. The service was excellent - Jo, our waiter was friendly and informative and our our rib-eye steaks were cooked to perfection and beautifully presented. The portion sizes were just right and the wine, Garnier's merlot, was excellent. We loved the local artworks on display and couldn't fault anything.

• Visited May 2014

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Horrid”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

I decided to try something outside of Portland to treat my wife for her 42nd birthday. I like to take her on adventures, since I have traveled all over the world and I have eaten fine foods from every land. I am very open to trying new places and new dishes, as being in the military you can't be too picky about the food you eat. I love coming back to the Pacific Northwest for, amongst other things, the sea food. It is the best and freshest anywhere.

Upon arrival at Nora's Table, we found the atmosphere to be a little loud and the place to be a bit small. But we tried to put that behind us and enjoy the night and the adventure. Like I said, it was my wife's 42nd birthday and she deserves an adventure. We definitely were in for one that night.

Upon entry we were greeted only after about 5 minutes of waiting and reading all of the reviews (many of which were 4 years old or older) displayed and stacked in various parts of the entry. This should have been the first clue. No recent reviews?

The hostess attempted to seat us at a table where the cushions were falling off. The aspect of any kind of privacy in conversation was almost null. I asked to be seated at a booth behind where my wife sat that had just opened up. The hostess, trying to seem helpful, was obviously annoyed at our request. She said it would be a few minutes before we could be seated there. I understood this and had no problem waiting. She did finish clearing and resetting the table relatively quickly. That was nice.

We were seated at the table and the waitress was there after only a few short minutes to take our order. Very nice. I ordered for my wife and I asking for the scallops and the 12oz steak done medium with very specific instructions on the blue cheese dressing. The waitress seemed to understand.

We waited at least 30 minutes for the food. The portion size left much to be desired. The steak was severely undercooked. It was not cooked medium. It was merely braised. Just a tip to the chef, the customer should not hear the bovine going through its last throws of life as the customer attempts to cut the steak, especially when they asked for it to be cooked medium.

I gave my wife a bite of my scallops and she almost vomited. I didnt think it would be all that bad. I am the sea food snob of the family. I can't eat seafood of any kind if it is frozen in any way. I ate the first scallop and thought it wasn't that bad, but it had much to be desired. I had to gag down the second scallop.

I asked that the steak be taken back and cooked the way it was ordered. After it was taken away my wife asked if we could leave. I gave her the keys and I took care of the check. I told the waitress we were leaving and that we were very disappointed in the food. She made excuses for the chef stating she only cooks one table at a time. She offered to give me the steak that was being recooked. I refused, as the trip back to Portland would have allowed the steak to dry out and then it would have to be cooked before it could be eaten.

I informed the waitress that we would not be paying for the steak, as it was not prepared propely nor was it eaten. She removed it from the bill. I had no choice but to give an 18% gratuity tip, as it was the lowest option available on the card reader. I wasn't going to leave any tip, as the service and food did not deserve a token of gratitude.

I will not visit Nora's Table again. The atmosphere, hospitality, and especially the food were not what I have come to expect when I order a dish for top dollar. The chef needs to actually attend a culinary school and work under a master chef, not learn to cook by watching The Food Network.

This "restaurant" is a buyer be ware trap.

1 Thank Robert W
ChefKMW, Owner at Nora's Table, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Richard, we are so sorry that Nora's did not meet your expectations. Yes, we are small; we only seat 50 people. We understand that some diners really love very large restaurants, but that just isn't us. All of our seafood and steaks are fresh, never frozen. Our farm-to-table ethic and fresh approach may not be the "sweet spot" for you, and I'm truly sorry it wasn't the meal you hoped for for your wife's birthday.
Richland, Washington
“Delicious meal in quaint restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Nora's is a small venue just off Oak Street. It has a changing menu with 6 to 8 entree choices and an equal number of starter choices. The food is artfully prepared and, for my tastes, seasoned and prepared very well. The sautéed scallop appetizer was pan sautéed with black pepper for a nice flavor pop. The Hawaiian butterfly fish entree (aka escolar) was outstanding - nice portion, done to perfection. With a bottle of wine and dessert, around $100. Excellent meal!

• Visited May 2014
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Fabulous experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

My husband and I truly loved our evening at Nora's Table. This came at the end of a full day of hiking on our first trip to Oregon and the Hood River area. We chose Nora's Table based on other reviews, and were so glad that we did. Our dinners (greens with crispy onions followed by a rib eye for him and seafood curry for me) were perfectly prepared and thoroughly enjoyed. Our waiter was wonderful-very professional, knowledgeable and friendly. Our dinner was a highlight of our trip. Highly recommended.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank PatriciaAAMI
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Your tongue will thank you!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

I eat out on business all over the country and I didn't expect to find such amazing food off the beaten path. The food is black tie quality for a reasonable price and you can bring the kids.