“Positively Amazing”

Columbia Cliff Villas Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Hood River
Reviewed 27 August 2011

We reserved a River Queen room for our 22nd anniversary. Our stay was positively wonderful and made our anniversary truly special. I reserved online directly through the property. Everything was correct and seamless on check-in. We were shown to our room by a delightful young lady. The room was everything the website promised. Exceptional quality throughout. Spotlessly clean and fresh smelling. The bed was cozy. We had a flat screen and a fireplace. We opened our french doors to the balcony and enjoyed the fresh air and breezes off the river. The grounds were immaculate, with paths to the 200 foot waterfall (which we could hear from our room) and gardens. Keurig coffee and tea maker in the room. Free wireless internet. Amazing view of the kite surfers on the Columbia. Convenient to all the amenities in the little town of Hood River. The rate was as promised and the bill was correct. Reception also offers a book on the local hikes called "Curious Gorge." We bought it and loved it. We will absolutely be back.

Room Tip: Reserve a river room. It is SO worth it.
1  Thank texlawyer

Reviewed 23 August 2011

We decided to stay at the Villas for one night while driving through Oregon. This was the last night of the stay. I had called ahead of time and knew that they were newer, more of a condo-type setting, had a step-out balcony and the hotel was next door, so none of that surprised me. The "specs" of the room were exactly what we expected - the room itself was nicer than we expected! The bed was comfy and had really soft sheets. The bathroom was huge with a double-head shower. The view off the balcony was beautiful. The only thing that struck me as odd, was that the minifridge was in the bathroom to drown out the noise of the humming. There aren't a lot of parking spaces, but we were lucky to get a good one. The front desk woman walked us to our room and showed us INTO our room (nice touch). And, yes, there is not anyone at the desk late at night, but we didn't need anything after 9 p.m. Also, they mentioned that if we did call because we needed something, it would ring the manager's cell phone, so I wasn't concerned. We walked next door to eat dinner since we had gotten in later than we had planned. Yes, the rooms are on the pricey side, but I think it was well worth it.

Room Tip: We stayed in 8B - room with a view - nice choice
Reviewed 19 August 2011

We stayed at this little-known hotel in Hood River while visiting the Columbia River Gorge. From what I can tell, it may have originally been built as villas for sale, and with the current market, some of the rooms have been turned into hotel rooms. Ours was a small bedroom with French doors opening out to our cliffside perch along the river. Far below us along the river ran a freight train whose whistle was a delight. The river was gorgeous. The room was reasonably priced compared to some of the other spots we stayed on this trip, and was newly furnished, but lacking in several things. There was a small dresser with drawers that stuck when you tried to open them, and only one chair. The picture showed a table and two dining chairs by the French doors, which would have been nice to have. The bathroom was dark but new and very clean. There were no restaurants associated with the hotel, although the hotel next door had one, and no place to just get a soda or a snack without going out in the car. But I would still go back for the location!
(The beds were Sleep Number, and I'm glad I got to try it because I didn't like it at all!)

Room Tip: Riverfront for sure!
1  Thank susanpete
Reviewed 15 August 2011

This is a fairly new hotel. When my husband and I stayed there in July, the building we stayed in had just been opened. After management saw my review on trip advisor, they emailed me and addressed my concerns. This management team takes their customers seriously.

The hotel itself is very nice. Everything is brand new and feels squeaky clean. If you're looking for a room with a view, look no further!

Reviewed 12 August 2011

I was coming to Hood River to attend a wedding and reserved my room through hotel.com. The room was very nice but also very small and the hotel in general was not what the website led me to believe it was. My bedroom was part of a small apartment and not particularly quiet. There is almost no staff on site, parking is very difficult and the restaurant and lounge advertised are next door at another hotel. The best part though is that it is meticulously clean. Sorry but I can't recommend, especially for the price we paid.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank PaullyV
sattoolong, General Manager at Columbia Cliff Villas Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2011

Columbia Cliff Villas is a relatively small boutique facility but offers a wide variety of rooms and suits, which can make the selection process challenging, especially when shopping on-line wholesalers.

In today’s cyber world, small boutique hotels thrive or fail based on guest reviews. Fortunately, most of ours have been very positive and we appreciate guests taking the time to help us strive for excellence. Because we take our guests’ input very seriously, I must clarify a couple points in this review:

My biggest concern is any inference of misleading advertizing. If anyone checks the specific room descriptions on our website, they will find pictures, floor plans and accurate details of each and every type of room and suite we offer. Unfortunately, this is not always the case with on-line wholesalers, whom we have no control over.

When you visit our website, you will also find that we clearly state that food and beverage are available at the adjacent Columbia Gorge Hotel and make no claim that such amenities are located in our buildings. This beautiful historic building is only a couple hundred feet away and can be accessed by a beautiful garden path that crosses stone bridges and a creek that leads to a spectacular roaring 208’ waterfall viewpoint. We have also made arrangements with our historic neighbor so our guests now enjoy a complimentary glass of wine, morning coffee and a newspaper at these convenient facilities.

As savvy travelers will see from most of our reviews, we normally excel in the ‘service’ department and make every effort to provide adequate front-office, housekeeping and emergency staff 24/7. This can be challenging on busy wedding weekends when our parking lots were full. Since this review, we have added additional staff, convenient overflow parking and signage to help us deal with peak traffic situations.

Even though guests (like this one) will find great value (from $149 - $195) in our new, nicely furnished and impeccably maintained “Euro” rooms. I also wanted to inform readers that we offer several larger rooms and villa suites ($195 - $595) with more space, luxury features and privacy. Guests are encouraged to contact us directly or visit our website for the best prices and to assure they receive accurate information to make the best selection.

Happy travels,
Steve Tessmer, GM

Reviewed 29 July 2011

If you are going to Hood River to watch the wind surfers this is the place to stay. French Doors open to a standing only balcony but there are two leather chairs just inside the doors. The room was a little small but beautifully furnished and with a fireplace. The bathroom is a luxury retreat. The staff was excellent. For the price, we expected a microwave with the fridge and coffee maker. The location on the bluff is stunning.
Our vacation included other sights closer to Portland so we did some extra driving. We may return for a special occaision or windsurfing event, otherwise the villas are too pricey. Also, no pool or spa.

Room Tip: ask for a river front room
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Found this hotel on tripadvisor, the #1 rated in Hood River, Oregon. I had never heard of it before. We have stayed other places but this by far is the best! What first comes to mind is clean and fresh, everything all the way down to the smell of the towels. Crazy perhaps but overall this does make a difference. Our room was a Euro King suite with kitchenette, perfect size for a weekend away. I liked that the hotel was right next to the historic Columbia Gorge Hotel, basically they share the same grounds. Lovely paths that lead to a waterfall, sings that overlook the river. All around a perfect retreat!

Room Tip: I would recommend any room but perhaps the very standard which would be at the back with no view at...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hood River
Comfort Suites
#7 of 8 in Hood River
17 mi away
Best Western Plus Columbia River Inn

Been to Columbia Cliff Villas Hotel? Share your experiences!