“Vagabond Inn, Great View, Pretty Nice Room, Very Friendly InnKeepers, But!”
Review of Westcliff Lodge

Westcliff Lodge
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Hood River
San Francisco Bay Area, California
“Vagabond Inn, Great View, Pretty Nice Room, Very Friendly InnKeepers, But!”
Reviewed 2 October 2007

We stayed at the Vagabond Inn this September 2007. I booked our stay there after looking for quite awhile for places that I thought would have a great view of the Hood River.
This Inn definately had an Awesome view of the River. Our room had a balcony that over looked the River, with a great view of the windsurfers that were plentiful for sure from one side of the River to the other. The other side of the River is Washington State, and you could see clearly across to a beautiful view of the hills of Washington as well. The Inn is situated about an hour & a half from the Portland airport and about a half hour from the beautiful Multnoulmah Falls, and the rest of the awesome scenic highway, which the travel channel says there are lots of other falls, but we never did seem to find them. The scenery we did see was great through.
As far as views go, at the Vagabond, you couldn't have asked for more. Sitting on the balcony was so peaceful and the weather was mild, not too hot, which was great, as I've been in Oregon in August when its been in the triple digits and very uncomfortable.
The Inn itself is very nice, the walkway up to the room has lots of plants and greenery with moss growing on the brick siding, very nice to see.
Our room was a standard room, nothing fancy, a bed, desk, a microwave and small fridge which was nice to have, and the bed was very comfortable. I would have prefered a King size bed, but the Queen was very comfortable even if a little small.
The Inn Keepers were friendly, and I liked that they claimed on the website, that the water was fresh spring water, even the sink and bath water. I usually buy bottled water to drink when we travel, as I never know if the water will be good, or ok to drink.
Now I do have to mention the only complaints we did have with this Inn. The bathroom was very small, with the sink & mirror outside the bathroom, I guess your standard, standard room bathroom, but I like places with larger bathrooms and ones with the sink & mirrors in the same room. Not a huge deal I guess. The main downer was that there seemed to be some kind of bugs or fleas in the room, as my husband and myself got biten up pretty bad. I actually only got a couple bites, but my husband got biten up pretty good. I did mention this when we checked out, and asked if animals were allowed in that room, and the Inn Keeper said no, and that the maids "were very thourough with their cleaning of the rooms." Obviously someone must have had an animal in that room, and the maids weren't as throurough as they could have been, as we did get biten up pretty good.
Maybe a flea bomb would be a good idea, as even if the room was cleaned well, the fleas stayed behind. Therre also wasn't really any good places to eat, close by anyway, the InnKeepers were kind enough to give us a suggestion but we went and there menu was very small, as far as choices and we actually chose not to eat there. Can't remember where we did eat, but it wasn't that good. We actually drove into Troutdale Oregon the next night to eat and were looking forward to eating at the famous Tad's Chicken & Dumplings. We had remembered them from years back as being very good. We were so unpleasantly surprised after eating there, that I have to say, sorry Tad's but the food was just terrible. There supposed to be famous for their chicken & dumplings obviously, and that's what we ordered, and it was really very bad. If your ever in Troutdale, I would recommend skipping eating there. This has nothing to do with The Vagabond Inn, just thought I'd mention it. They didn't recommend them we just went there on our own. The problem with the beautiful of Hood River is its a bit remote, so the restaurant choices aren't great. But, I had expected that so it wasn't a big deal to ruin our stay either.
The bites were probably the only thing that really made our stay not 100%. Besides that, the view is to die for, and the balcony definately an A+ as well as the comfort of the bed. Conveinences of the microwave and fridge, and forgot to mention, the price was pretty reasonable, especially with that view.
The only other thing was I left my favorite blue sweatshirt either in the room or right outside it, and when I called about it, they said it wasn't there. That was disappointing, but what could I do. It was new and I loved the color blue it had, but it was gone so I had to get over it. Not sure what could have happened to it, obviously someone took it home, as I know I definately left it there when we packed up and checked out.

So, all in all, with the view and location, I would have given the Vagabond an A+ for sure, but because of the flea bites, I have to give them a B+
It is a nice, relaxing, beautiful scenic & affordable place to stay in Hood River, and if not for the bites I would definately have given them an A+

I would still definately recommend the Vagabond to friends and family, with children or without, although it is really a better couple getaway, as there really isn't much for kids to do here, unless of course the kids wind surf. Its more of a relaxing, beautiful, scenic getaway for adults. Just make sure they are sure the room you get has not had animals in it. I am an animal lover, and love that more and more hotels are allowing small pets, but not so keen on the fleas they may leave.
Of course there is always a chance that people will have an animal and not tell the Inn Keeper, so I would suggest that flea bombs are used periodically, and a good cleaning afterwards, to ensure the next guest doesn't have to stay with the unwanted pests the animal may leave behind :)
I did take a lot of pictures and will download them to my computer as soon as I can and try to post a couple for others to see. It really is a beautiful place to visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
Oviedo, Florida
Reviewed 14 September 2007

Stayed here for two nights in a river view room. Although this is an older motel I found the spacious wooded grounds and equally spacious room to be well maintained, clean, and comfortable. Room came with a minifridge and microwave and lots of cable channels. The best part - a big window with a view of those crazy windsurfers down in the gorge. Good value. Be sure and pay a few extra bucks for the river view rooms in the back.

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled solo
3 Thank geomon
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Reviewed 15 July 2007

We didn't experience the noise problems of the previous reviewer. In fact, this was one of the quietest properties we stayed at on our 7 night trip through Oregon. Outstanding views of the Columbia River - most likely the exact same view as the fancy property next door (The Columbia Gorge Hotel) at about 1/3 the price. No breakfast offered, but there are plenty of dining places a couple of miles away in Hood River. This is not a centrally located property, so don't expect to walk around the lovely town of Hood River.

The room was small but clean. We were in the two story building closest to the river. There are also several one story clusters. Lots of families staying here - I think they have suites. It's very convenient to the highway, also. Would definitely recommend this place.

• Liked — View and location
  • Disliked — No breakfast
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
6 Thank kcl491
GEORGIA
Reviewed 26 June 2007

After reading all the reviews about the Vagabond Inn I was very excited to find such a bargain. We had a simple, clean large room in the back with a great view. The bed was quit lopsided and uncomfortable. Now here's the kicker, the walls are paper thin and this is where a group of twenty something kiteboarders decided to through an all nighter. The music was loud, I could hear every conversation and anytime anyone used the stairs, we could hear the steps. Managment never stepped in to take care of this problem. We shortened our stay and book book a room at Mosier House Bed and Breakfast, which was $10.00 less and served a kick [--] breakfast.

td

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — the paper thin walls
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank sakequeen
Appleton, WI
Reviewed 24 June 2007

The Vagabond is a great value. We stayed in a river view room with balcony. There is one smoking room in the river view complex. The only problem is that management encourages smokers to stay in non-smoking rooms as long as they smoke outside - on the balcony. Be prepared to take a dose of a neighbor's cigarrette smoke from the balcony of your non-smoking room. If your sensitivity to smoke will allow you to deal with that, you will love the river view rooms. There is no in- room coffee or breakfast. The restaurant next door is very good.

• Liked — The view and the town.
  • Disliked — Smokers using balconies of non-smoking rooms.
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ValueSeeker2
Monterey Peninsula
Reviewed 1 June 2007

If you are looking for fancy toiletries, bathrobes, and new furnishings, look elsewhere. We were passing through the gorge and had hoped to stay at a B&B in town. They were full and referred us to the Vagabond Lodge. What we found at there, in the Rocks area of the property, was a spacious balcony room with a fabulous view of the
Columbia River.

We were lulled to sleep by the rumble of Union Pacific trains (it's a heavily used freight route, though not at all intrusive), slept by starlight, and awoke to bird songs. It was really quite heavenly.

• Liked — everything
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank zinlover
Lake Ozark, Missouri
Reviewed 21 January 2007

I booked this motel due to the great reviews of others and wasn't disappointed! This motel is located right next to one of the most expensive hotels in the area (which I stayed in about 8 years ago) and I liked this place better!! The view was better, the room was huge, the bathroom was convenient and it had a great balcony. (Be sure to get a balcony with a river view - you will not regret it!!!) This was our last city on our road trip and the motel welcomed you to take all the ice you needed for your cooler each day. I'm really glad we had 2 nights to enjoy. It's very conveniently located and away from all the highway noise.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No elevator
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank BARB S