“Great Value!”
Review of Westcliff Lodge

Westcliff Lodge
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Hood River
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We hesitated in making reservations here knowing it was an older hotel, I read several reviews and decided to go ahead a book a night. We were very pleasantly surprised!! The outside is obviously dated but our room was awesome! The view couldn't have been better! The room was spotless, size was awesome and the location was perfect! We don't need new and modern, we prefer clean and friendly and that's exactly what you get here! We actually booked a return trip upon check out and are excited to return during he summer months! We highly recommend this hotel and have already told our friends about it! The staff was so helpful and so friendly!

Room Tip: the 3 story building to the right will get you the closest to the river
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Linda C
VagabondLodge, Owner at Westcliff Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Thanks much for your review! Yep, we've been here since 1954, but will keep updating any making even more improvements! Our newest building will be complete in about 3 weeks, and will be open soon. Thanks so much for your kind words, everyone is glad you had a great time. See you in the summer!

There are newer reviews for Westcliff Lodge

Reviewed 19 March 2014

Just wish the suites with decks had a king size bed in the living room area - we would gladly pay more for this addition. Whenever we get the urge to go to Hood River, we always consider Vagabond Lodge first because it is so affordable but then opt for Hood River Inn because they have king beds in their new east wing that also have balconies overlooking the river. BIG DIFFERENCE IN PRICE THOUGH. Vagabond's office personnel are extremely helpful and helped us discover what is our now favorite restaurant in Hood River - Divots at the Indian Creek Golf Course - even though we do not golf. Please consider changing the queen bed in the living room area so we can visit Hood River more often.

Room Tip: River view with a balcony
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DeeDee45210
VagabondLodge, Owner at Westcliff Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Thanks for your review! Yes, we are looking at changing those to kings, it's just a matter of time. We'll get the new headboards built and plan to switch things over when all the pieces are here. It is on the furniture builder's schedule and hopefully we'll have that done this summer or fall. Glad to hear you have a great time when you visit, thanks again!

Reviewed 3 March 2014

I planned to spend one night here on my way through Oregon. The weather turned horrible and I ended up being stranded here for 4 days. The staff was great, very accommodating. The room was very nice, clean and quiet with a great view of the river. They are very dog friendly, with pick-up stations located near each building. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
VagabondLodge, Owner at Westcliff Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Thanks for your review! We do our best to make things comfortable, even if the weather turns to a little winter storm. Thanks again, stop by anytime you're back in the area again!

Reviewed 1 February 2014

Wow it's a cozy clean beautiful place to stay with a great view and the price is reasonable. I would highly recommend staying here! The staff was friendly and very helpful. The coolest thing was the wine glasses sitting on the desk very romantic. Can't wait to come back this summer!

• Stayed: January 2014
VagabondLodge, Owner at Westcliff Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Thanks much for your review! There's such nice wine up here, it's great to sit out overlooking the river with a bottle to share in the evening. Hopefully the eagles fly by for you when you visit in the summer; thanks again!

Reviewed 1 February 2014

We spend a couple weeks in mid-, late-October '13 in Oregon, including 3 nights in Hood River at the Vagabond Lodge. We weren't really sure what to expect and we really got concerned when we saw it from the highway as we approached the exit (looks kind of like a Motel 6 from the road--it's not!). But after checking in and getting to our room it was FANTASTIC! Unbeatable view of the Columbia River from our balcony, very nice room, comfortable bed. Really enjoyed it and Hood River has tons of great places to eat. And the drive out to Hood River from Portland is just amazing. I saw more waterfalls in that 2 hour trip than I've seen in my whole life (I'm kind of into waterfalls)! Would stay the Vagabond again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: You want room 64. It's on the very end of the highest point of the riverfront building with a c...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TomK959

Thanks for your review, glad you had a great time! Having so much natural beauty is one of the great things about this area, especially the waterfalls. We'll keep updating over time, so each stay is better than the last. Thanks again!

Reviewed 19 January 2014

I was exhausted from driving through a fog bank on a trip back to Portland, and I remembered seeing this place a million times. I am glad I stopped! The small rooms in the back are not deluxe, but they are cheap, clean, and they have a great view of the river. I think the two story buildings with balconies are probably a bit swankier, and a friend told me the fireplace suites were huge and really nice, and I may give one a try next time. However, for 55 dollars plus a 5 dollar pet fee, I was totally satisfied.

When a place says it's "pet friendly" and charges from 25 to 100 dollars for a pet fee, is it really that friendly to pets or their owners? 5 bucks tells you they actually like pets. In fact, there were three dogs and a cat in the office when I got there! The people who work there were really nice to me and my dog and obviously are animal lovers. This place is GREAT for dogs because there are extensive grounds and a path over to the Columbia Gorge Hotel where you can actually go for a decent walk and not worry about cars. Plus there are free poop bags, garbage cans, and a great view on your walk!

In short, my dog and I really enjoyed our stay. We will be back!

Room Tip: All of the buildings that overlook the river are good. The one nearest the office seems like it migh...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank mandypdx
VagabondLodge, Owner at Westcliff Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Thanks for your review! Yes, our River View rooms are larger; give us a call so we can try to reserve your favorite. We're adding on a few brand new rooms, and will continue to update all of them! Thanks again.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

I was in Hood River for work. We perform maintenance and testing on Cellular Sites all over the Northwest. This place was minutes from our project site. I really like this place. It is not fancy or pretentious. Its not a place that tries to be more than it is. They keep a clean comfortable room with plenty of towels and amenities. Plenty of hot water for the shower. Comfortable beds. I will stay here anytime I am working or playing in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms in the single story building at the back are quieter and have really great views of the river!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank BenjaminConant
VagabondLodge, Owner at Westcliff Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Thank you for your review, I'll let the girls know that you appreciate what they do! We'll keep making improvements, plus we hope you like our new building when it opens this spring (same price as the building you were in). Thanks again!