“Inexpensive Motel with a Million Dollar View!”
Review of Westcliff Lodge

Westcliff Lodge
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Hood River
Lake Ozark, Missouri
“Inexpensive Motel with a Million Dollar View!”
Reviewed 21 January 2007

I booked this motel due to the great reviews of others and wasn't disappointed! This motel is located right next to one of the most expensive hotels in the area (which I stayed in about 8 years ago) and I liked this place better!! The view was better, the room was huge, the bathroom was convenient and it had a great balcony. (Be sure to get a balcony with a river view - you will not regret it!!!) This was our last city on our road trip and the motel welcomed you to take all the ice you needed for your cooler each day. I'm really glad we had 2 nights to enjoy. It's very conveniently located and away from all the highway noise.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No elevator
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank BARB S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
South Weber, Utah
Reviewed 27 November 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Vagabond a couple of years ago during the summer and had an amazing time watching the wind surfers. This time we were there in November and we didn't know if we would need a *view room* but decided to go ahead. We were so glad we did! The view from the balcony is amazing, no matter what time of year. We sat and had a beer (that was cold from being in our mini-fridge in the room) and watched the birds land on the river. The Vagabond is not super close to town, it is on the river. It is not super expensive, but it does share the same view as the Gorge, which is high $$$$. The people are pleasant, the view is amazing and the price just can't be beaten. I would recommend this over many other hotels. My husband and I went to Hood River, just to stay at this hotel. It will always be on our lists of stops.

Stayed November 2006
9 Thank SurprisingWoman
san diego
Reviewed 14 November 2006

The Vagabond Lodge offers three seperate levels of accomodations. The cheapest rooms are old-fashioned budget motel-style rooms that face the freeway. The intermediate rooms are similar to the cheap ones, but are located at the back of the property and have a view of the the river. (The view is pretty.) The most expensive lodgings also look out on the Columbia, but are located in a newer muti-story building. I stayed in one of the intermediate rooms, based on information from the desk clerk that these were quieter than the cheapies. I was dubious at first, because freight trains run all day and night on the tracks just behind the motel. However, I barely heard any noise from them during the two days I stayed at the Vagabond. I think the tracks are down at the base of a cliff or something and the motel is screened from the noise. Whatever the reason, I was never disturbed by train noise. (On the other hand, noise from an adjacent room was all too audible.) My room was clean and came with a refrigerator, a microwave and multi-channel cable. The location is only so-so. The motel is on the edge of town, so you have to drive to get anywhere. But then it's not a big town, so you won't have to drive far.

• Liked — view, room amenities
  • Disliked — noise from adjacent room
  • Stayed October 2006
10 Thank booradley2
US
Reviewed 1 October 2006

Ok, i have to admit to being pretty nervous when I pulled into this motel. I checked into a room with 2 double beds and a balcony (89 a night plus tax). From prior posts I knew to ask for a room in the new building/upper floor. I think we had room 62. The views make this hotel.

The room is nothing to write home about. It was clean (but carpet was heavily stained). It was the views from the balcony that made the stay. There is an eagle that nests down from the motel (towards the river) so you should see the eagle soaring.

The hotel does not have alot of info for local attractions and certainly does not tell you where the local fast food/grocery store/etc is at. I listened to the motel and went into downtown HR for food--i was very disappointed.

But if you ask at the desk, they can tell you how to get to the supermarket, fast food restaurants and the walmart. (i cannot give directions because i cannot recall the streets--but it is closer to get to these than it is to hop back on the expressway and get off at the next exit for downtown hood river---i only learned this after a horrible experience with one of the downtown restaurants!!)

I will try to attach a picture from the balcony so you know what i mean.

• Stayed September 2006
4 Thank new2vegas
Yakima, WA
Reviewed 15 September 2006

The room (64) was large and comfortable. Nice view of the river from the balcony. The furnishings are adaquate but the rug IS horribly stained from wall to wall. The bathroom area is small (you have to stand to the side of the toliet to shut the door) the sink is on outside of the toliet/tub area. There are really no in-room amenities, no alarm clock or coffee maker. The front desk has instant drinks (coffee, cocoa, tea)and glass cups you can carry back to your room.

• Liked — The view of the river
  • Disliked — The size and layout of the bathroom
3 Thank Mike&Candy
USA
Reviewed 6 September 2006

Despite the fact that this motel is right next to I-84, you'd never know it if you have one of the rooms facing the river as we did. Our room was large, clean, and we loved having a balcony where we could sit and watch the activity on the river.

• Liked — The views
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Book a room with a river view
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 27 August 2006

Don't be scared off by the roadside sign! The room was actually quite large, clean, beds were very comfortable and the balcony overlooked the Columbia River Gorge with great views.
The Columbia Gorge Hotel next door has a 7 course brunch, expensive and quite good and there is also a Charburger Country for cheap, quick meals. Would definitely stay here again, liked the room better than my friend's at the Columbia Gorge Hotel.

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank mdgipsy