“Must see Historic Property”

Columbia Gorge Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Hood River
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 7 November 2012

Our room overlooked the water fall, nice sound to put you to sleep! Staff very nice and helpful. The grounds are very well maintained. Had dinner and breakfast , excellent! Great views of the river !Only complaint would be the bed....it's worn out.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the river, or close to the water falls are better.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bob55555

Reviewed 2 November 2012

We stayed for just one night in the off season. The hotel was nearly empty, but seemed fully staffed and everyone seemed very happy to have us, even with our infant son in tow. The food at the hotel restaurant was tasty, the bar was a pleasant place to sit and visit and we were even able to arrange a massage, despite the spa normally being closed that day.
The rooms are on the small side., but totally adequate and with a lovely view.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank cjfeischer
Reviewed 23 October 2012

I've always wanted to stay at the Columbia Gorge Hotel and It was all I anticipated. This historic property is well cared for and the welcoming staff delightful. My sweet corner room offered beautiful views of the river. The bathroom was nicely updated, the mattress and crisp linens were delicious. Pity I was only staying one night! The restaurant staff was wonderful and meals were creative and tasty. A great wine list featuring local wineries was a treat. Don't miss soaking up the historic atmosphere in the bar named for Rudolph Valentino. I loved it all!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 October 2012

I stayed at the Columbia Gorge Hotel for a couple nights in August and I found it to be absolutely charming. It is certainly not one of the world's great hotels .... but it's comfortable and quaint and exceedingly welcoming. The hotel is very clean, the rooms are quiet, the food tasty. I felt like a guest in someone's home, and every member of the staff was very kind.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank AYellowWood
Reviewed 27 September 2012

I was recently married at Columbia River Gorge, and despite having the best day of my life, this vendor had multiple aspects about the way they take care of Brides and Grooms that I would have like to know prior to one of the most important days of my life. I hope this review is helpful, and that you consider a different venue when choosing your special day.

1. Horrible Event Manager. Columbia River Gorge Hotel (CRGH) has been ranked in one of the top 10 places to get married in the world by some. With its breath taking views, blush landscapes, and unbeatable location, this venue has the potential to be just that. However, I would say that Trina, their event manager, is holding the venue's potential at bay. Not only was Trina unprofessional with her delayed email correspondence, she lacks knowledge about her staff, the venue's amenities/resources and your personal contract. Multiple times during our wedding planning experience, Trina did not know basic questions about the hotel, such as the number of wine glasses she had available, number of chairs, or the size of the hotel's dance floor. In addition, Trina neglected to look at our contract multiple times and charged us for "upgrades" that were never communicated until a few days prior to our bid day. CRGH even went as far as asking me for final payment 1 hour before I was about to walk down the aisle. Imagine, I was in my wedding gown! Surrounded by friends and family, and they demanded payment before "we could proceed." As a side note, we were on time and very respectful about payment, we did not miss a beat in the payment process. In addition, we had to pay the alcohol bill to pay at the end, and we thought we would pay any additional charges after (like most venues do) at the end of our event so that we could enjoy our day prior to such a joyful moment. Believe me, as a bride, you want to feel safe with your venue. They do not create or foster this for you. Trina was by far, my biggest complaint of CRGH.

2. Needs updating. Although CRGH is historic, the beds and the amenities do not need to be. A simple upgrade of mattress while keeping the historic bed frames and quaint decor, would do this place wonders. The ballroom, which I was thankful not to be using, smells of mothballs and cheap perfume. The dinnerware, silver ware and the linens they provide are all outdated and over used. The chair covers are stained, the lanterns and bridges outside are caked with dirt and ash from the train that runs below. Again, holding this venue's potential at bay.

3. Carlos. One thing I would say was the saving grace at this venue is Carlos, their banquet captain. He was the one thing I would never change about CRGH. He is positive, a great communicator and does everything for Trina. I did not see her once during our event or rehearsal or for the day after. However, I saw Carlos during the entire thing. He was more knowledgeable than her, more respectful of our time and overall, a great person.

In conclusion, I would take your time and money else where. Dealing with this venue is really NOT worth your time. On your day, you want to be able to relax, enjoy and soak up the things that matter. Family, Friends, Celebration. You do not want Trina, headaches and endless correspondence to deal with simple decisions. One of the goals at CRGH is to take off as much stress for the bride as possible, believe me from experience, they will add to it.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
10  Thank Lauryn M
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I stayed for four nights in September. I was treated like royalty, and truly enjoyed the experience! The hotel itself was lovely and reminiscent of a past I would have enjoyed had I been born 80 years earlier. The restaurant staff made every effort to accommodate my dietary restrictions, and in their dining room, it didn't feel like restrictions!!! One of the best Gluten Free cakes I have ever eaten!!

Room Tip: The quietest side is on the River, and the views are spectacular for the price.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Absolutely awesome experience for our wedding! First, the Columbia Gorge Hotel is beautiful - lovely interior, comfy beds in spacious rooms, lots of windows to gaze out onto the well-maintained and beautiful grounds, and of course the Columbia River can be viewed while strolling along the backside of the hotel along with their own waterfall.

But the most impressive aspect of this hotel is really the staff. We had a relatively small wedding of about 28, but it was a daunting task for me (the bride) to keep track of everything up until the wedding. Once I arrived, I was treated as I imagine royalty are. The staff anticipated my every need and I had a fabulous time as did all the guests. I have had several people tell me that was the best wedding they have ever attended. I owe this success to the staff.

Did I mention the food? It was simply scrumptious. I must have gained 10 pounds over that weekend. Nothing compares to this place. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#7 of 8 in Hood River
Best Western Plus Columbia River Inn

Been to Columbia Gorge Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!