“Very Rude Manager”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Hood River
“Very Rude Manager”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I have lived for several years across the freeway from the Columbia Gorge Hotel and read in the newspaper that they will be piping in music to enhance their outdoor lighting display. I gave the manager a courtesy call to inquire about the potential noise level, because we prefer not to hear "elevator" music for the next month or so wafting across the highway. I was very polite and simply wanted to know their plans. The manager responded in a very rude tone with," I'm sorry you don't like holiday music" and slammed the phone down on me. This is a first. I have traveled extensively and have never had a hotel manager be anything but helpful and courteous. If this is how he treats members of the community, I wonder how they treat out-of-towners.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank misterinkman
NewGM1, Manager at Columbia Gorge Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Hello misterinkman,

We would like to apologize on behalf of our team in the response to this matter and the experience you had on the phone. We try to go above and beyond in assisting each person we come in contact with at this hotel. As we will be having music played, we also will be considerate of our guests and our neighbors with a respectable volume. We completely understand the frustration of being disturbed in a neighborhood and we want to be a model for upholding a good standard. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns and we'd be happy to talk with you. Again thank you for shedding light on this matter and we will address our team on all areas needed.

Management Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
Georgia
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Pretty place in the old inn style with beautiful grounds up against the banks of the Columbia River with its very own water all in the backyard. Hotel takes advantage of the act it is only nice place to stay while exploring the gorge area and charges accordingly. Rooms are comfortable, have a tired feeling and are a bit "frumpy". Staff is young and friendly and helpful. For the rate, a continental breakfast should have been included at the least.

Room Tip: No self service elevator so get a room on the first floor
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I have always wanted to stay here! It is a beautiful, old hotel, located right on the Columbia River. The grounds are perfectly manicured, with paths and a natural waterfall. Everywhere you look, there is a view of the river. The hotel reminds me of a grand old hotel from the 40s or 50s (I am imagining this, because I didnt go to grand old hotels at that time). It has one elevator, the cage kind, that has to be run by an employee! Quaint, but not necessarily convenient. Our room was beautifully appointed, with a totally modern bathroom and a king bed, as well as view windows. It had a gas fireplace with chairs in front. We splurged on room service breakfast just so we could eat it in front of the fire. We even had a very old fashioned, yet functioning, dial phone. It was very romantic. In the evenings, cheese and crackers are served in the bar for happy hour. There is a view from the bar and restaurant of the river. We had dinner in the dining room. It was an OK dinner, nothing awful, but nothing memorable. It just was convenient and beautiful. We really enjoyed our stay here and would recommend it for a romantic getaway.

Room Tip: Or room was a corner room and one of the biggest. We were lucky because we were upgraded to this roo...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fandmsmith
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 17 October 2013

The first place I've ever stayed that didn't have a tv in the room! We loved it! We spent time down near the "huge" fireplace and played cribbage, drinking Irish coffee's :) It was clean, the break was incredible. The grounds and the view of the river were awesome. One of the most romantic places we've ever stayed.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LLP1957
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We didn't manage to stay at the hotel this time, but we did stop in for breakfast, which we loved!! It was wonderful and especially nice to be overlooking the water and the gorge. We would definitely go back and hope to stay at the hotel next time.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I planned my mom's 70th birthday weekend at The Columbia Gorge Hotel. I had 19 family members staying 2 nights here and everyone loved the Hotel.
The elevator was original and needed staff to run it. So I suggest taking the stairs, it is only two floors.
I can't say enough wonderful things about the front desk staff. They were so helpful and friendly every time we came in contact with them. It is such a different experience than staying at a chain hotel.
The rooms were a little small. But I am pretty sure besides some upgrades to the bathrooms they were the original 1920's layout. They were so charming and the beds were very comfortable. We slept like babies both nights. We had River view rooms, it came with a refrigerator, and bathrobes for two. Some of my family members booked the Double room hotel suites, which were two full hotel rooms that shared a bathroom in the middle. They loved them and wished more hotels had them.
Most of the women of the party had services done in the Spa. The massage therapist were fantastic, and the manicurist were so friendly and fun. The prices weren't outrageous either, pedicure was 45.00 and a massage was 90.00 for 60minutes.The spa was beautiful, clean and relaxing.
My mom's birthday dinner was in Simons Cliff house restaurant. We had booked one of the private rooms and the service was Spectacular!!! The food was flawless and the in-house Baker baked the birthday cake which was beautiful and delicious.
The live piano music in Valentino's was just what we needed to end the perfect weekend, bar staff was friendly and fun.
The only thing I would not recommend is the Farmers Brunch we had on Sunday morning. This was their 7 course breakfast, which was not worth $28.00 per person. The pastries and scones were fantastic. The food was good, but it was your regular breakfast.
My husband and I can't wait to visit the hotel again, where we have time to explore the grounds and Hood River.

Room Tip: Try the Spa services I do not recommend spending the money on the Farmers Sunday Brunch.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

Excellent views of the Columbia River from the hotel and from several rooms. Rooms are small, but are well- decorated for the time period.

Restaurant is a little stuffy, but the fish dishes, as would be expected were very tasty. Good wine list at somewhat inflated prices, but workable. Corkage is reasonable in the state of Washington.

Recommend.

Best Western Plus Columbia River Inn
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#7 of 8 in Hood River

Been to Columbia Gorge Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!