“Beautiful Grounds and Nice hotel”

Columbia Gorge Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Hood River
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Stay at the hotel for one night while we did some wineries and skied Mt hood. The hotel grounds are beautiful and very well taken care of. The view of the river and waterfall from the back were very impressive. The bar is also a great place to end the night with a great drink. The only downside, and not really a true downside, was the room. It was nice, but had a staying at grandma and grandpa's house feel... and the 4 post canopy bed was kind of creepy. The bed was comfortable though. It's a historic hotel, so the dated feed was definitely part of the charm. Downtown Hood River is only about 3 miles down the road. So not close enough to walk if you're looking to enjoy some wine (definitely a must) at the many tasting rooms. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the river side have a better view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tyler K
There are newer reviews for Columbia Gorge Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

My husband surprised me with a romantic stay at the Columbia Gorge Hotel for our anniversary. I must say it was one of the most wonderful times we have had for our anniversary from start to finish. It started from the moment we exited the freeway and pulled onto the beautiful grounds on the property (the spring flowers were in full bloom and so were all of the trees - it was lovely). Checking in was a breeze and we were whisked up to our room in an old fashioned elevator that was operated by the hotel staff. They brought us to our room which was one of the river view suites with a gas fireplace (king bed facing the fireplace and two wingback chairs in front of the fireplace) over looking the Columbia River. The hotel had champagne on ice in our room which was a wonderful touch. They had made reservations for us in the dining room at 7:00. We had a drink in Valentino's Bar and then proceeded to have a wonderful dinner in the dining room. We were impressed with the extensive wine list featuring wines from Oregon and Washington and other areas too. We had room service in the morning for breakfast and we ate in front of our fireplace, again the food was so yummy. We had such a wonderful time that it was hard to go home. This definitely was very romantic and my husband and I look forward to going back again! Thank-you so much for making our anniversary so wonderful!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank trishh1
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Wow! This National Historic Landmark Hotel on the cliffs above the Columbia River has it all. We set out for a weekend of wine tasting and relaxation and found it here for the same price as a cheap hotel.

Our Riverview room was clean, comfortable and completely updated and the bed was so comfortable, (even with my back problems that make most hotel beds uncomfortable)

The staff was very accommodating. I don't know how they were so quick to take us on the antique elevator.

The splendor was visible even years after the stars chose to stay here during their time away from the limelight. I felt pampered.

The waterfall on the corner of the property made this very special.

The food? Breakfast is cooked to order with ghee, not cheap oils. Eggs Benny a great breakfast treat made to order for $13.00. Served river side it is a not to be missed pampering we all can use.

Room Tip: This hotel is quiet and has no train noise to speak of. Of course a river view room is my favorite.
1  Thank MrsO_5
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We had a corner room with fireplace and view of the magnificent Columbia far below. We ate in the restaurant Friday night and I asked the waiter if there was any sausage in the paella. Here came the chef (new from Portland apparently) to ask what I wanted in the paella. He added scallops (fresh from Coos Bay) and sausage. The meal was magnificent.
Morning coffee complimentary in the lobby with excellent local coffee roaster.
Only downside was that our heater unit conked out the first evening. It also serves as an airconditioner as well. The room was quite chilly but we called the front desk and they brought blankets and a 1500 watt space heater so we were cozy all night. Great service. I would imagine that the 1921 electrical bus is a bit tired. Everything else worked. We got a discount from the rack rate with an online booking agency. We loved the hotel.

Room Tip: corner rooms have fireplaces I think
Reviewed 6 March 2014

So where do I start. We stayed her a few years ago under old ownership and had a wonderful time. Well it was great this time too. We went in mid-January to celebrate a birthday. We got a great deal and they upgraded us to a corner river room w/ fireplace (electric). It was beautiful. We went to the bar to grab a bite. I would say they need some help w/ getting some good wines in there. They are in WINE country and they only had a white and a red. The red had clearly been open too long and it was horrible. However, Tony came in and that made the birthday perfect. It was his first night back after having a family loss. Tony is a piano player and does he know how to play. He loved to play Frank Sinatra and while we aren’t from that era we sure had a great time. He played “Fly me to the moon” which I totally love. He was very entertaining. He admitted he couldn’t sing like he used to (I think he is in his mid 80’s) because he had cancer of the throat several years ago. We bought one of his CD’s for the fun of it and WOW that was a great purchase. He made it prior to being diagnosed and wow could he sing. I loved how the staff and hotel treated him and how the small crowd enjoyed and honored his talent. Would go back to see him again. Back to the hotel…the power went out in the early morning hours and they had lined the halls with electric tea lights. It was kind of spooky and added fun to the trip. We went out for breakfast and power was back up when we got back. It had been a pretty big storm that went through. Anyway, it was a fabulous birthday trip. All the staff were great. I say GO and say hi to Tony! Have him play you “Fly me to the moon”.

Room Tip: take a river view room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OrExplorer1
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Columbia Gorge Hotel is a charming historic hotel in a quaint town surrounded by orchards and vineyards. The hotel grounds are beautiful gardens beside the rushing Hood River. Room accommodations are nice with updated contemporary bathrooms. There is also a Spa in the hotel.

1  Thank chris s
Reviewed 20 February 2014

My experience at this hotel was almost perfect. The place is nice, the food too. But I had an issue with the staff. One of the employees charged my credit cards 3 times for the same room without mentioned anything... they don't have a point of sell machine so I became aware of this situation after I left the hotel. I stayed only for one night, and I ended paying for two night because this lady voided one of the three transactions. This happened on January 26, 2014. I sent a complaint right away and today February 20, I'm still waiting for the answer! The Hotel Manager, Nanette Rodgers, doesn't want to take care of this issue. I was charged $853.83 instead of $284.61

BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR CREDIT CARDS!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#7 of 8 in Hood River
Best Western Plus Columbia River Inn

Been to Columbia Gorge Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!