“Locals recommend Big Winds instead”

Hood River WaterPlay
Reviewed 1 September 2012

Nice people but they took us to a small cove that was very windy. The locals later told me that Big Winds has a better teaching area.

Reviewed 17 August 2012

We were left "holding the board". We were pleased to have had the chance to try our hand at stand up paddle boarding on the very hottest day of the summer, Great place, Hood River.

However, as we were geared up and escorted to the waters' edge to embark on the boards along the river, we were absolutely not informed we would later be expected to lug them up a dangerous, slippery gravel embankment with no assistance--back to the rental shack. Now, whether it was a singular occurrence, where the employee was left shorthanded, or it is commonplace, at the Very least, we should have been informed. We would have come back to shore at a very different spot.

I think we were used by the closing crew to help him get out ahead of schedule. At any rate, extended our work-out a bit.

Our advice, don't rent near closing time. You may end up an endentured servant.

Love the sun, love the water, love to work and play hard, love to know if this has happened to anyone else?

Dufurblue

1  Thank Danjeri
Reviewed 19 October 2011

We took the 3 hour windsurfing intro class. Our windsurfing instructor, Steve, was awesome. It was our first time windsurfing and he was extremely patient with us and made us feel very safe. At the end of one class we really felt like we had conquered the basics. We took our class near the end of August and didn’t have a ton of wind but that was all we needed since we’re beginners. We’ll definitely take another class with Hood River Waterplay the next time we’re in the area!

2  Thank SusandChlo
Reviewed 5 September 2011

I learned to windsurf with Jak and his crew in 2006. They were awsome. I have been winsurfing fanatically eversince. I love it. The crew at waterplay are fantastic. Thanks for everything

2  Thank al s
Reviewed 31 August 2011

Windsuring on vacation?? How can you schedule the wind? Try Hood River in August for the best chances. Average overall rating for eqipment, Excellent for instructor.

I just didn't know if I wanted to set family vacation time aside for chasing wind, so I waited until the day we arrived in Hood River to call for a lesson. WaterPlay was able to setup an advanced Jibe session for the next morning! They keep gear on-site so setup is quick. I had a short wet suit and booties but I think they could outfit someone in a swimsuit with all the gear needed.

The instruction was great. I have 25yrs windsurf experience (on lakes) and wanted to brush off the dust after no sailing for the last 3 years. I was amazed how my instructor could stay near me as I blew jibes and went over the handle bars on a few waterstarts. Communication was hard at times shouting to each other over the wind and wave noise. If the wind had stayed up for the full 2 hr session I would have progressed further, but it began to die off.

The gear was just OK to inadequate. The boards are for low wind learning and had daggerboards, not for screaming reaches further out across the river. I was on a 150Liter board with a 5.0 sail. The next size down was about 86L with no selection in between. The fin was all chipped up from the rocky launch area. I did not spin out so guess it didn't matter much. The 1st boom unclamped when hitting the water and also during some sail flips. After I was physically whipped we sailed in to change the boom. But by then the wind was dying on the way back out.

I felt fortunate to have had a pretty good session on short notice and the wind cooperated for most of it. High point for me on a great Oregon vacation.

1  Thank Scr33n-name