“Excellent instructors and nice employees, but dated equipment anddisorganized and rude owner”

Hood River WaterPlay
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We had our son take a few lessons from excellent instructors at Hood River Waterplay. We really appreciated the level of professionalism and friendliness from the employees. However, the owner, Jack, was very rude and unfriendly to us when we inquired (busted him?) about the questionable condition of some equipment he wanted to sell to us. There seemed to be a bit of dishonest scheming coming from him. We have not returned, went to Big Winds instead, for kids' camps and equipment purchases.

3  Thank LN101
There are newer reviews for Hood River WaterPlay

Reviewed 12 July 2013

Had my third bad experinece with Hood River Waterplay. Shame on me for using them three times. The instructors are nice, but the owner doesn't manage the business well and they chronically over book the lessons, putting crowds on the water and run short of equipment. Go with another out fitter

4  Thank James T
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Every company makes mistakes—that’s not a problem. What separates the good from the bad is how a company responds to its mistakes. This is why I say run, Forest, run!

MISTAKE 1
We made reservations for 6 people for 10:00 a.m. and confirmed our reservations at 9:15 the morning of our reservation. At that point, the company knew it was running an hour behind but didn’t tell us.

MISTAKE 2:
Since this delay was a problematic for us. I asked for a courtesy discount for (take your pick) either not letting us know before we showed up or for the delay itself.

The supervisor (I’ll call her “M”), said she wasn’t authorized to make any such concession. No problem with that so I politely asked her to call someone was authorized to make that decision.

She made a quick call to the owner and said he authorized her to make any decision on his behalf. She then informed us her decision was not to provide a discount. I then I respectfully declined to come back in an hour.

MISTAKE 3:
I inadvertently left my Oakley case and lenses at the rental office and went back to retrieve them. M informed me the owner had taken them to the Best Western reception. I went to the BW and no one could find them after 10 minutes of searching. She then called me back to say that they would there within 1.5 hours.

MISTAKE 4:
After waiting another 2 1/4 hours for my glasses, I called M to tell her I could not wait any longer because of my wife’s work (I had to take care of our two toddlers 180 miles away ASAP so my wife could get to work that evening), and to proposed she mail me my glasses instead. She said she wouldn’t mail them and would only leave them at the BW after we left. Unbelievable, eh?

I informed her that the BW had nothing to do with this and her company’s responsibility was to make reasonable efforts to get them back to me. She said the owner had cancelled a meeting to get them to the BW so he would not hold them, mail them, or do anything other than drop them off after I left (No, I couldn’t make this up if I wanted to.) I suggested that mailing them would be more convenient for him than canceling appointments or driving 60 minutes R/T (per her description), and she refused to consider anything other than abandoning them at the BW.

MISTAKE 5:
I asked to speak to the owner and she would not allow that. I asked again and M responded “I represent the owner and I am doing exactly what he would do.” Well, I believe her. For that reason, shame on M on double shame on the owner who should know better than to despise his customers that much.

7  Thank Dining_Caper
Reviewed 12 December 2012

My wife is not know for being an adventurous person, but Jak from Hood River Water Play promised that he and his staff could get her up and running. In just one afternoon lesson, she was making turns in the beginner area and came home looking very pleased with herself. So, while I did not myself experience the lesson, I benefited from having a very, very happy wife.

3  Thank Mark Z
Reviewed 1 September 2012

Nice people but they took us to a small cove that was very windy. The locals later told me that Big Winds has a better teaching area.