“Great Food, Trashy "Mystery", Lovely Scenery on Slow, Rocking Train Ride” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mt. Hood Railroad

Mt. Hood Railroad
Ranked #12 of 69 things to do in Hood River
More attraction details
Owner description: Tourist railroad offering 4-hour scenic tours through the Hood River Valley to the base of Mt. Hood on a historic Excursion Train, Dinner Train or Brunch Train.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Beaverton, Oregon
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Great Food, Trashy "Mystery", Lovely Scenery on Slow, Rocking Train Ride”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

I booked the Mystery Dinner train for myself, my husband, 14yr old son, & father for my birthday. I love classic mysteries and good food so it seemed the perfect plan. The food was excellent. Two of us had salmon and other other two had the beef tenderloin. Both were really, really good as was dessert (cheesecake). Our waitress was unusually abrupt and unfriendly and was unable to tell us how far away from the mid-point we were in our journey because "she has been really busy." We had a appetizer before we left the station and then salad & dinner on the way up. The production started on the way back while we had dessert.

Unfortunately for me I tend to get motion sick (I always have to drive the car), but I was hoping a train would be fine. Not so. The rest of my family was fine for most of the trip, but I was not OK. It is a slow, rocking ride to a small town/park about 20 miles away (Parkdale) and back. I did fine for most of the way up during daylight, but it was about a 3-1/2 to 4 hr excursion with a short time to walk around at the turn-back point. If there had been any way for me to stay off the train at that small town and wait for my family to come back and get me I would have done that, but it was a very cold night and there was only a small grocery store open where I would have been standing for nearly two hours waiting for them to return.... but that is only a warning to anyone who gets motion sick.

My biggest disappointment was the mystery itself. We were given flyers with the character's names and some spaces where we apparently were going to be able to make notes about clues, etc to try and solve the mystery. I'm an avid mystery reader and tend to like the British mysteries from the 1930's - 1950's. The photo on the Mt. Hood RR website shows a couple of people in vintage clothing and the description says "Classic Murder Mystery" This show was not at all that genre. The actors did a good job with their characters, but I think the producer substituted trashy for clever. Sort of like comedians who rely on swearing for laughs instead of actually funny things in life. This production relied on characters who were pole dancers, scam artists and the like for entertainment rather than having a clever story line that was interesting to try and solve. There wasn't anything about it that could have counted as "classic". There were some other people on the train dressed in vintage garb. We initially thought/hoped they were the actors, but it turns out they were also guests. I think they were expecting something else as well. It was an unnecessary story line for my 14 year old son and my 70+ father, but I suppose that type of theme is entertaining to some people.

The main interaction the characters had with the passengers was to "kill" them off giving you a dead sign, or allude to adult encounters.... but maybe I missed some of the other interactions. I came back from the bathroom to find an scantly clad actress sitting next to my 14 year old son in my empty seat. Would have been fun had she been wearing something less revealing. I'm not outraged or anything... just disappointed.

The only real "clue/motive" I noticed in all the random drug/hit-man/scam artist/adult dancer dialogue ended up pointing directly to the character who committed the initial "murder".

So if you like that type of theme and really good food and won't get motion sick on a long, rocking train ride, then this is the trip for you.

2 Thank Trish246
Meagan B, Manager at Mt. Hood Railroad, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Thank you for joining us on the Mt. Hood Railroad's Murder Mystery Dinner Train.

Sacramento, California
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Pretty cool, different.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

Pretty fun ride, we went during christmas where they put on a show with the elves and what-not. Nice for the kids and those who believe in santa.

Visited December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a nice review of your trip with us. We hope to see you in the near future! Happy Holidays!
West Linn, Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“horrible!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

Last night my family and I kids 5,6,and 8. Went on the polar express for the first time and were very disappointed. First when I gave the kids there "golden tickets" my kids were very sad...they weren't gold! not even close...at least print on paper that looks gold. My little girl was almost in tears. We purchased 6 upgraded tickets in the upper dome. It was so miserably hot everyone on there was complaining. There was no singing like it showed on the video on your website....the music and story were so quite my kids didn't even know what was going on. and the north pole was a joke! The north pole is supposed to be magical. Not a few strings of lights. My kids see better lights driving around our neighborhood. Thank god I had purchased coloring books for them other wise they would have been complaining the whole time. They wanted to go home as soon as they saw Santa. A very disappointed family and mom. We will never be going on the polar express again. False advertisement.

Visited November 2013
3 Thank melissa o
Thank you for joining us on the Polar Express. I'm sorry that you felt it was too hot in the Upper Dome car. We try and keep the heat at a comfortable temperature for all passengers. Our North Pole is a large building and although we have spent thousands of dollars on lights and decorations I realize that not everyone is satisfied with the end result. We will continue to add decorations every year as we have done in the past years. I'm glad your children enjoyed the color books and hope they enjoyed the other activities and excitement on the train such as Santa, the Hobo, the Conductor and singing Christmas carols. On behalf of the Mt. Hood Railroad I would like to wish you and your family a Happy New Year!
Spokane, Washington
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Fun time, bring friends/family”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

We did the Hood River Train ride including the Murder Mystery Dinner. We brought some friends and had a great time. The food served was great. A four course dinner is part of the package. The Murder Mystery was done by some very fun actors. The diners get involved also making it lots of fun. The train travels toward Mt Hood and the scenery is great. We all had a very good time. This was our second time and would recommend it to anyone wanting a good time.

Hood River, Oregon, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Wonderful Birthday Trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

I, like one of your other passengers, booked this trip for myself and my sister and 3 other friends, for my sister's birthday. It's one of the best gifts I think i've ever given her. Thanks so much for a wonderful time. The food was so good...my sister had the salmon, and the rest of us had the chicken...everything was great, and the cheesecake at the end was wonderful. Your staff is very helpful and friendly, and we had such a great time with your cast of characters for the "murder"...We took this trip on Oct. 26th so you must know which of your staff should be credited with one of the most enjoyable evenings I've had in a while. I am a local here, and have never actually riden this before, but rest assured, when I have out of town guests, we will be back. Thanks so very much

1 Thank Gail B