“Hmmm..”
Review of Oak Street Hotel

Oak Street Hotel
Ranked #8 of 13 Hood River B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Nice rooms, but on the streetside noisy at times. I don't remember what room we were in, but it was a bit annoying to have headlights of cars shining in the room. Not super friendly at reception.
We left after 1 night, but this kind of hotel is just not our taste, so it could be us...
Breakfast was great I must say. Location is good, but found price too hight for what you get.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Adrienne H, Manager at Oak Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Thank you kindly for your feedback. I am so sorry the headlights disturbed your rest. We provide each room with a roller shade to prevent this, and I will make sure our staff is more vocal when checking our street side guests into their rooms. You mention our location, which is a great feature since we are on the quiet edge of downtown. Unfortunately this does lend itself to more traffic. I am so very glad you noticed breakfast! We have been working very diligently to provide an elegant farm to table experience each morning for our guests. Should you ever return to the Gorge, please consider staying with us again. I would recommend room 5 or room 8, both located on the back side of our quaint historic hotel. I would appreciate the opportunity to change your opinion of our home. Again, thank you for your response.

There are newer reviews for Oak Street Hotel

Reviewed 23 August 2013

Friendly and helpful staff, basic but clean accommodations, nearby shopping and restaurants, these are my main takeaways from our stay at the Oak Street Hotel in Hood River, Oregon. I would recommend Room 5 as it has a great view of the Columbia River and even afforded us a wonderful view of the sunrise in the morning. Plus, being on the back side of the hotel, we weren't bothered by the traffic and street noise. Since it was seasonably warm we had to use the air conditioner all night which didn't seem to have a functioning thermostat, forcing us to turn it on and off periodically. Only later did we realize we would have been more comfortable just opening the windows at the head of the bed. The bathroom--toilet and shower--was small but adequate, with the sink located in a corner of the room. We were surprised to have a small refrigerator, convenient for keeping our drinks cold. The country breakfast was fresh, tasty and ample. We ate in the dining room but we could have taken our breakfast out on the porch or even to the lovely little patio out front. While you are about 7 blocks from the center of town, there were several restaurants within a block or two, even an ice cream shop which was very popular.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sharon L
Adrienne H, General Manager at Oak Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Thank you kindly Sharon for spending some time in our quaint hotel! We have begun our fabulous three course breakfast fresh from our farm just this summer, and I am so glad to see guests are noticing and appreciating our morning fare! Please do come again!

Reviewed 20 July 2013

I very much enjoyed my one-night stay at the Oak Street Hotel. Before my arrival, I got an e-mail from Adrienne Happy, Lodging Administrator, with the name and phone number of a taxi to take me to my conference. My room was small but nice, and it came with a bowl of almonds and a jug of cold water, very welcome on a hot day.

No tub or TV in the room, but the sauna more than made up for that.

When I told the desk clerk I'd have to check out before breakfast in the morning, she arranged to leave me a sack of muffins and fruit to take along.

All in all, a good experience for a place that I just booked into when
my conference hotel was full.

Room Tip: This room is, as advertised, for ONE person. AC noisy but effective.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank jmz1066
Adrienne H, General Manager at Oak Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

We were so happy to have you stay with us! Hope to see you again the next time your journey brings you to Hood River.

Reviewed 4 July 2013

We were on a road trip through the Columbia River Gorge. We had no reservations but saw this place on a Thursday in June and they had one room left. We quickly grabbed it and were well pleased. Our room was small but the right size for us in this location. It was clean and fully appointed. Plus it was right in town which provided an easy walk for us. We ate dinner at the restaurant across the street. The best part was sipping our wine on the Hotel's comfortable front porch in the quiet evening. There are just nine rooms so we will make reservations the next time.

Room Tip: Best to reserve since they only have nine rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Adam W
Adrienne H, Manager at Oak Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2013

Thank you Adam for staying with us. The porch is my favorite spot in the hotel as well! Please do come stay with us again; I'd love to offer you a two for one sauna session for your next visit. The perfect way to relax and renew yourself after a fun day in the Gorge!

Reviewed 28 May 2013

Two other couples and ourselves used this as a base for bicycling around the Columbia River Gorge on a long spring weekend, and it was perfect for that. Rooms are compact, kind of old-fashioned---as you'd expect since the building dates to 1909---but updated and clean. Good selections in the breakfast that's provided with room; hot water and tea always available in lobby; and there's a great open-air space on the big covered porch for decompressing after a long ride with friends/beer/wine.

There's a covered space to lock bikes in, and plenty of cycling territory nearby---the stretch of old highway along the top of the bluffs over the river, and a number of wineries on smaller roads out of town. Staff is friendly and helpful. We've stayed here before, and will likely do so again.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rb4Seattle
Adrienne H, Manager at Oak Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2013

Thank you kindly for the great review! We really enjoyed having you and your group. It was lovely watching your friends sharing wine and stories on our porch. Perfect start to a Gorge summer! Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 28 April 2013

I was in the Dalles for business purpose, but during weekend I went back to the closet town - Hood River to relax a bit.
At that moment there was a cycling event in the city so most hotel/inn/b&b full or asking for extremely high price, luckily I managed to get the "last minute deal" from this hotel only one day before going back to Hood River.
Hotel didn't look huge outside, but room size pretty large, I liked the classic design of hotel, making me feel good. I opened up the window a bit and it already able to serve as air conditioning, fresh air is definitely better than using AC.
As this is a wooden building, and I stayed closest to the stairs, I could clearly hear someone coming upstairs, but it's really not a big deal as residents there usually won't come back in the middle of night :P
This hotel located in central part of Hood River, very convenient for finding food place!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank EdwardWong

We are so glad you had a great stay! Come back again soon...

Reviewed 2 February 2013

Great location in Hood River. After arriving in Hood River during a 3 week road trip, we ended up staying her last minute and were very content with our stay. We stayed in a vey clean double room (suite?) and the price was very reasonable. One evening we had pizza (delivered) and wine on the porch and then walked a block to get ice cream at a cute ice cream place in town. A very unexpected wonderful experience!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank froogin

So glad you enjoyed your stay! Hope to see you again this summer...