“wonderful atmosphere and great food!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Stonehedge Gardens Wine Country Bistro

Stonehedge Gardens Wine Country Bistro
Ranked #11 of 138 Restaurants in Hood River
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine, View, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Hood River, Oregon
“wonderful atmosphere and great food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stonehedge is one of our favorite places to eat and enjoy ourselves. We go there several times a year. wonderful atmosphere in a great old house and love being able to eat outside as weather permits. prices range anywhere from 20-40.00 depending on specials but they do have a few cheaper plates. The bread pudding is out of this world. If you like dining in an old world, charming, cozy place, this is it!

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ksilva4

Oregon
“Well below my expectations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

My wife and I came to this establishment on the advice of a bed and breakfast we were staying at in the area. The older home and impressive adornments were promising. We ordered an appetizer of roasted garlic and goat cheese on crustini (this would end up being the highlight of the evening). My wife ordered the rack of lamb and I the special; prime rib. The lamb was overcooked, and tasted of strong mustard. The prime was less than an inch thick, was served with mashed potatoes with the consistancy of glue. The grilled asparagus was fine but extremely thin. The waiter was offended that my wife thought the lamb was "mustardy" and that he had stated in the description that there was mustard in the coating (in his French accent). I reiterrated the fact that my wife was displeased and he took the chops back to the kitchen and scraped off the coating and redressed the now very overcooked chops with the sweet accompanyment sauce. Still unpalatable; my wife had him remove the lamb. I ate a small amount of my increasingly discusting dinner and boxed the rest. The signature bread pudding that they served flambe style was the second highlight of the otherwise miserable evening (you had to order it 25 minutes before, to have it ready). When we received the bill, of course the rack of lamb was still charged. I asked the waiter about the charge and he actually said to me "Well, was there anything really wrong with the lamb?" My jaw dropped! I said to the smug waiter that my wife could not eat the lamb because it was inedible--yes there was something wrong with the lamb. He said "fine; I will remove it!" He returned a short time later and I paid the remaining $65 bill. The next day my bank had two charges from the business for $65 and $68 (maybe he thought he needed a tip?). Anyway, I have complained to the restaraunt but have had no reply as of yet.

• Visited May 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
“It is a must!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

I had the Caesar Wrap for the first time tonight. An amazing blend of flavor, textures and color. Beautifully presented. We love the warm atmosphere, personal service, and great food. We look forward to going back and trying the Garlic Shrimp Toast.

Visited March 2014
Portland, Oregon
“Bad food, nice outdoor eating area”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

The food is terrible, so don't go there to eat. Bland, not fresh, the entrees (fish, chicken) are smothered in bad sauces--uninspired! I'm surprised so many positive reviews--especially as nearby Portland has such incredible restaurants. Also, tables outside we're not really clean--food stuck on the table, service was slow and unprofessional--definitely expect better service at those prices. Irritating how the waiter said (more than once) at the end of the meal, "was that amazing, isn't our food awesome?" instead of asking for our feedback. I heard him say something similar to other tables. Too bad as the outdoor area has a lot of potential. Try Celilo or Nora's or table for a good meal instead with interesting flavors and fresh, local foods!

Visited October 2013
2 Thank MaggiePDX
Hood River, Oregon
“Great Food and nice local”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

If I were getting married again I'd choose Stonehedge Gardens as the site. Even in the aftermath of a rough winter the Grounds are lovely and inviting. I took my wife out for our mutual birthdays with a "heck with the cost" attitude. We were seated promptly on a busy Friday night before our scheduled appointment. Even their tables for two are large. The hardest choice was to choose a window seat to look at the gardens or inside the main dining room near a warm real wood fireplace. Happy our was 5-6PM with special appatizers.

The appatizer we ordered was PortabelIa Mushrooms prepared in a rich cream sause Yum!!! I had never had their Prime Rib dinner so that is what I chose while my wife had the very fresh Halibut with curry rice and steamed vegetables. Both were EXCELLENT. If you order the Friday night Prime Rib special order smaller than you normally do; the 12 oz was enormous. It came with Garlic mashed Potatoes and roasted squash. Get there early as they tend to sell out by 6:30. Desert was a little disappointing. I prefer my Creme Brule to have a thicker crust of sugar while this was quite delicate and wafer thin, even so trust us there was not a drop left.

The service was attentive but without an overbearing nor rushed fealing. There was always someone close but seemingly invisible until you needed something. The obviously watched your body language and quitely entered your domain to ask if there was anything we needed. They made you feel relaxed and allowed us to Dine.

The bill was less than a disasterous recent lunch at Red Lobster and well worth the cost. The is also a great location for a wedding. Take time to stroll the gardens.

• Visited March 2014