“Small and Kawaii ^^”

Price range: US$15 - US$25
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Hawaiian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Sushi Okalani brings a vibrant, eclectic taste and atmosphere to Hood River. We have a variety of Japanese, Hawaiian, Thai and Sushi items. Very family friendly, we have a children's menu, Happy Hour 5 days a week, and two private Tatami rooms!
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I took my sister here and we liked the small environment. the food was good, despite the fact I'm not a big fan of any type of seafood. I ordered the ceviche which was great!!! Do recommend for those sushi lovers. <3

1  Thank Maywashere

Reviewed 10 September 2012

Every anniversary, we explore another nifty part of our newish state, and for the 5th, we headed to Hood River. Another tradition is sushi.
We've eaten a lot of sushi in our combined lifetimes and know of what we speak.
Pandora Reggae replaced the more traditional Japanese music, which suited the interior and atmosphere of the establishment.
Rarely do we arrive before the doors open, but wanting to be savvy and fed quickly, decided to join a small group already queued on the Labor Day eve. Needn't have worried, as there was plenty of space at the bar, which we prefer.
Very attentive, young and attractive wait staff.
Our sushi chef was also more productive, friendly and fresh faced (all that kitesurfing in the river?) than the other, for which we were grateful.
We quite overdid ordering, per usual. But there's something about being handed that strip of paper and a golf pencil which just makes us go crazy.
Perhaps the biggest surprise of the night was a walu/escolar nigiri.
I've never seen it offered anywhere I've ever been, here or abroad, so was eager to try it out.
Sumptuous! You can look up its qualities and bad rap, but a piece or two here or there is just fine.
I found the average house sake, even at a Happy Hour discount, to be over-priced.
But for that, and a few other overlooked detractors, I'd highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 30 August 2012

Delicious food but the restaurant itself is very small. There are only a few tables and a bar. It is always full of people and you almost always have to sit at the sushi bar which isn't much fun when you are with friends and can't have a normal conversation because they are four chairs away. Edamame is fantastic.

Reviewed 20 August 2012 via mobile

Great sushi in a really fun town! I had sashimi platter and it was very good and reasonably priced. I gave a lower score only because they seemed a little understaffed. I had to ask for chopsticks twice after my food arrived. There was no setting at my seat at the bar when I arrived. Great happy hour specials. The place is a basement so it's a little crowded and dark, but that adds to the appeal I think.

Reviewed 25 July 2012

Quick service, great selection of fish and a fun experience.....sit at the bar and watch the sushi master. This is a great place.