“Terrific!”

Sunset Motel Hood River
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Hood River
Reviewed 24 August 2011

My family and I stopped at the Sunset Motel on our way to a family reunion on the Oregon coast. We reserved three rooms but eventually needed four rooms. Margaret Craft, the manager, was gracious and accommodating from the first contact. Would we stay at the Sunset Motel again? ABSOLUTELY YES!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Terrence C

Reviewed 28 July 2011

My husband and I had to go and retrieve some equipment, the trip was not planned, but I got online and found this motel on short notice. We had stayed in Hood River before, but the hotel we had stayed in was full, so I looked for others and came up with this little hotel. I made the reservation, and we kept our fingers crossed. We were coming in about 11:00pm, so we hoped it wouldn't be hard to find. It wasn't. And we hoped that it would be decent - It was great! Directions given were very adequate and very easy to follow. The manager was very nice, even for late in the evening. We went to our room, which was very very clean, nothing fancy, but nice. The room had a nice big flat panel TV in it, but when my husband turned it on, nothing happened. We called the manager, she came straight away to see if she could get it going. She couldn't, so she just moved us over to another room, (she checked on the TV before she moved us over!) The second room was just as clean and well kept, the Flat panel TV was great - and the cable service was excellent. McDonald's was close by in the morning for an early start with breakfast. Would I stay here again? MOST DEFINITELY!

Room Tip: These rooms are all set back from the road, the location is quiet. All rooms have the same amount of...
  • Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Ready-two-go-4it
Reviewed 1 July 2011

I stumbled upon this motel. EXCELLENT. Rates are reasonable. Rooms are clean and very pleasant. View from room of the Gorge is gorgeous. My reception was friendly and very courteous. I suggest you ignore any negative reviews. The pond in the back yard is peaceful. I live in Portland will surely return. ENJOY!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Thelesman
Reviewed 25 June 2011

I'm injured alone in an unfamiliar beautiful town. I book my two week stay at the Sunset Motel Hood River. It's quiet the beds are extremely comfortable, the rooms are clean, the wifi is great and the staff is lovely. Unfortunate for me I had to undergo Knee reconstructive surgery at the Providence Hood River Hospital. After the operation, the motel staff helped me out so much. If I needed Ice to reduce the swelling in my knee, if I needed groceries since I had trouble walking, If I needed someone to move my bags for me and I never asked anyone for help. They all offered assistance. They truly wanted me to get better from my surgery. It's not a fancy Hotel like the W hotel it's just simple and felt like home. It was like having a family away from home. I love how there's a microwave and a large refrigerator. So you can store plenty of food and beverages and reheat food whenever you like. The view from your window in your room is of the surrounding mountains. It's about a 15 minute walk to downtown which is full of wine tasting rooms and there are a couple of micro breweries that serve great beers. Across the road there is a supermarket that has plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables and a good supply of coconut water, and exotic raw juice's as well as what's typically inside a supermarket. Besides the convenience, the staff, and the room this motel is also extremely affordable. So when you plan your trip you can use all the money you save to do outdoor activities rather than on an overpriced hotel where you only spend your time there when you're sleeping. I would recommend this motel to anyone who needs a comfy place to stay while enjoying all the fun activities the Gorge has to offer!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank jimenezmv
Reviewed 24 May 2011

This little 14 room motel was wonderful!! Snow-capped Mt Adams in view, excellent room rate with AAA discount, and a clean, comfortable room. One of the best nights' stay in our 13 day trip.

Room Tip: Use AAA discount.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bogeyR
Reviewed 17 April 2011

Basic motel, extremely clean, convenient to get to, and the price was fine. The rooms were VERY clean and the beds were so comfortable. I haven't slept this good in a long time, and certainly not this good in a motel. I had noted a review about Margaret that wasn't real positive and I have to say that Margaret was nice and alot of help. My son was meeting us and taking us to the Full Sail Brewery for dinner. Margaret confirmed it was a good choice as well as mentioning other places. She was right, dinner was perfect. We had a great time in Hood River. I hope to get back to the area again and the Sunset is my lodging choice.

Room Tip: 1st floor room, opened to parking lot, was great!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank pataha
Reviewed 7 August 2010

The Sunset Motel's desk clerk is not friendly (as noted in other reviews), but she's not at all hostile, either. She's just not a young, pretty, perky blonde who's been to a big corporation's charm school! Once you "get past" her, which is a bad choice of words, since it's easy, you find a very clean, well equipped room, with two comfortable queen beds, sparkling clean modern bathroom, micrwave, mini-fridge, and desk. Our view of Mt. Adams was beautiful, and the little garden below was a nice touch. I would stay here again. It's a lot cheaper than others nearby, and is very clean. A great value. Across from Mickey Dees and Safeway.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple