All reviews my husband and i gourmet experience minute drive next morning glass of wine the main house grounds are lovely spent two nights britt festival in town wonderful hosts a great place to stay tina porch accommodations respite ashland
Reviewed 15 April 2012

This was the first night of our highly anticipated vacation. This got us off to a great start. The home and grounds were immaculate and every creature comfort was not only met, but exceeded our expectations. The jacuzzi tub melted away our stresses, the bed was SO comfortable and breakfast a gourmet delight!! We will definitely be back and cannot wait!

Date of stay: April 2012
Reviewed 12 February 2012

My wife and I recently visited the Bybee House in Jacksonville for Valentine dinner. While the ambience, service and company were very good, the food with the exception of the salad was absolutely horrible. They said it was a sirloin steak. It was not, and the piece of meat they did serve was absolutely "hammered". It was more than well done. All six people at the table had the same experience with the meat. Because the conversation and company was so good, I did not want to make an issue of it at that time. When I got up to pay I was not pleased to learn that the food was catered in from some cafe in town. Now if I am going to take my bride out for valentine dinner and drop $100, I have and expectation of the food being prepared by a competant chef and being what was advertised. That expectation does not include catered food. It is a shame with such a beautifully taken care of place and friendly help that the food is so bad. I feel deceived on how they conducted their business. We will never go back, nor can we recommend it to anyone else.

Date of stay: February 2012
1  Thank greg51920
Bybees, Owner at Bybee's Historic Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

We are very sorry to hear of your disappointment. It was advertised as a catered event dinner and we are no longer using this chef for our events.

Reviewed 30 January 2012

We did not want to leave and can not wait to go back. Our new home away from home.
Everything was excellent. Thanks Vikki and Tina

Date of stay: January 2012
Reviewed 18 January 2012

When William Bybee built his home in the 1850's, he couldn't have picked a better location for an inn. Neither could he possibly have imagined that 160 years later, people from far and wide would visit and experience the grandeur of what he alone once possessed.

We have visited quite a few very special inns/B&B's here in the states and abroad, but after staying at Bybee's, we now have a new higher standard with which to measure all others.

Leaving WAS like saying "Goodbye" to family.

Each breakfast WAS a culinary delight, as a gift given and not soon forgotten.

Our room (The Elizabethan Room) WAS elegant, cozy--yes, special! (We recognized the English linens and robes.)

A beautiful Bed &Breakfast being run, by two very special cousins, with creativity, sincerity, loving care, and total passion.

All this for OUR (And Your) enjoyment!

Room tip: Our first floor room was bright and very convenient.
Date of stay: September 2011
Reviewed 29 December 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Bybee House over Thanksgiving weekend (2011). We were in the Americana room, which is quite large with a lot of room for relaxing during down time. The room is exactly as the photos show, with a large, comfortably sofa, big screen TV, ceiling fan and heater. The bed was large and very comfortable - perfectly firm. I always travel with my own pillow, but theirs seemed to be relatively firm - definitely not the flat pancake pillows that make my neck scream.
The bathroom is accessible for wheelchairs and walkers (not an issue for us, but good to know). The walk-in shower has 2 shower heads and a built-in bench seat. It was wonderful! The toiletries in the room are elegant, first-class items, and complete (shampoo, conditioner, body wash, as well as lotions, shaving kit, shower cap and the works). Everything here was first-class and well-kept.
Now to the food. The first good thing was that we were offered a glass of wine on arrival. What a way to start a holiday trip! We were able to serve ourselves and take our glasses wherever we wanted. On Thanksgiving day, we just wanted to hang out in our room for a while, so Vicki gave us a couple of glasses of wine to take back, even though they were busy preparing their own holiday meal. Every morning, there was a carafe of coffee with cream and sugar ready to take back to our room while we got ready for breakfast. That was a treat as well, as there is no coffee maker in the room (but there is a microwave and refrigerator with tiny freezer). The breakfasts were excellent. Each day started with a fruit course (a poached pear or baked apple, for example). Next came a main course of eggs and meat (baked egg with cheese and peppered bacon for example). Then was a pastry, home-made and very good. I don't recall a 4th course, but it seems there was a dessert-like offering such as fruit crisp. Fruit juice, coffee, tea, and milk were offered each day, and the ladies quickly learned our preferences, but never failed to offer other options as well.
Overall, I must say I enjoyed my stay, and will return again (actually for next Independence Day!). I recommend the Bybee House B&B. This site indicates they do not have room rates, and I believe our room was about $190/night. With a longer stay, the room rate is discounted, so our summer stay is supposed to be about $175/night. Room tax is only 1%, which is a huge bargain in my experience!

Room tip: The Americana is the largest, but is separate from the main house (requiring a dash across the patio for food). The other rooms are beautiful, and good size, as well.
Date of stay: November 2011