“Great beer selections, setting, desserts and Germanic cuisine”

Frau Kemmling Schoolhaus Brewhaus
Ranked #8 of 25 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Cuisines: German
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Ashland, Oregon
“Great beer selections, setting, desserts and Germanic cuisine”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Beautiful setting in an old schoolhouse on a knoll a ten minute walk from downtown J-ville. Great beer selection and beautiful indoor and outdoor seating with a view. Nice atmosphere. Employees all very nice and helpful wearing traditional Bavarian garments. The desserts are "to die for" and good traditional German fare.

• Visited May 2014

“Great place, missed the musician that night though”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Good German food, if that is your wont. Can be a bit boisterous, in a friendly and relaxed way. Nice building and settings.

Visited October 2013
Thank peoplehavetheri... .
USA
“A Hidden Gem”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We saw this restaurant advertised in a magazine while in Applegate so we made a last minute decision to try it out. We were pleasantly surprised.

The restaurant is located in an old school house (hence the name) and appears to be something easily found in Bend, Oregon, a much more hip town. The setting and outdoor patio alone said good things were to be found.

The food was very good. We ordered the smoked salmon soup to start and it was the best part of the meal. We each selected a different beer, and I found mine only to be okay. I won't mention the type since it may have just been my preference. My wife liked hers.

I ordered the weiner schnitzel, which is clearly their most popular dish. It was served with a delicious lingonberry sauce. LIngonberry always reminds me of Ikea. This was a great meal.

My wife had the rosemary and chicken sausage platter. I had her add a second bratwurst for me. I also enjoyed the sausages. The sauerkraut was plentiful; that's always important for me when eating sausage.

Overall, this may be my favorite place to eat in Jacksonville. I say start off at Bella Union for a shrimp appetizer, move onto Umi for a few pieces of salmon, and then end at Frau Kemmling Schoolhaus Brewhaus. Yeah, that's a lot of different cuisines, but why not? That would be a perfect afternoon for me!

Frau Kemmling Schoolhaus Brewhaus is worthy of your time and money.

Klamath River, California
“"German Food"”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Was there with three others yesterday. We have gone there multiple times in the past, and enjoyed the experience. However, the last couple of times have so bad that we will not go back. Our server was cute and friendly, but the service was very slow. We had to get water from the bar; waited forever for our food; one lady had coffee which she never got refilled; the dark Rye bread was either burned or stale; and the soup was straight out of the can and watery. I have never written a revie like this before, but this just had to be said.

2 Thank Judy K
Oregon
“Yummy German food!”
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

We eat here at least once a month. Good is great and the restaurant occupies a great old school built in the late 1800's. When it's nice be sure and eat outside. No matter what you order you won't be disappointed!