“Worst meal ever!”

Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I go to Bella Union expecting nothing less than really good food. Last night I was served and paid for the worst meal I have ever had. Chicken pesto was the special I ordered...I was shocked at what arrived at our table. It was literally a cross between a school lunch and a really bad hospital food. If I ever go back, I will just order the pizza...I heard they still do that well.

I hate giving bad reviews and I never send food back to a kitchen. I just learn my lesson and burned once is all it takes.

3  Thank Sharon M

Reviewed 17 April 2014

The Bella Union has been one of our favorite places to eat on special occasions or when people come from out of town. We went on a Wednesday evening, and found it busy but not over filled. I ordered an individual size pizza and side salad and my husband ordered Clam Linguine. Since pizza takes a half hour minimum, we ordered an appetizer to share. The bruchetta was very disappointing. Hard rounds of dry bread arrived, cold, with a heap of chopped tomatoes, olives, garlic and a few pine nuts. We spooned this onto the hard, dry bread and made the best of it. The waitress said they used to serve it warm and toasted but now it's "lighter." Maybe, but not as good. We waited about 45 minutes for our dinners, and the pizza arrived minus the pepperoni I asked to be added to the Pesto Pizza. The waitress brought it back to me with the pepperoni on top and reheated. It now could not be cut with a chain saw. She graciously brought me a free glass of wine as an apology. The service was faultless, but the kitchen had a problem. My husband enjoyed his linguine and clams. We will come back in hopes this was an off night. Not Bella!

3  Thank Charm B
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Great place to meet friends (in or outdoors). Good music, extensive menu! Always good service and Thursday's Ale and Oysters is lots of fun!

1  Thank Ellee C
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We live in this area and the Belle Union is our favorite place to go for dinner. Super pasta, great staff, and lovely setting, eat outside under the huge wysteria trees.

1  Thank Donald H
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

The great bar and back patio in nice weather are what make BU so great! Sunday Brunch is a long tradition and we always eat it in the bar, in fact in 25 yrs I don't think we have ever eaten in the main restaurant area. Friday nites are fun with live music. Then there is the back patio, huge and gorgeous, a fun place for pizza or a burger. We always bring out of town company here... Love small towns!