“Good food”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Ate supper and breakfast here. Pizza was very good, breakfast too. The hash browns, eggs, and gravy breakfast was a real winner. Coffee was always topped off. Service was friendly. Didn't have too wait. The restaurant was filled with folks botg fir breakfast and dinner. Never heard any complaints. Definitely eat here again.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

I have grown up in John Day and have been eating here since I can remember, I know most of the employees, and I have tried almost everything on the menu at some point...so here is my verdict

Atmostphere: the restaurant is super cute and has a great, open atmosphere. I hate it when places are too small/crowded but The Outpost isn't at all. You wouldn't expect such a large layout in a small town but they have it! The decor is outdoorsy and really gives a feel for John Day as a town.

Service: Okay, service is a complete hit and miss here. I have had excellent servers that I just want to invite to sit down with me because they are so awesome and I have also had very standoffish and rude ones. If it is busy, expect to be patient because service isn't super fast if it is. However, on the other hand, if it is very slow, the service is usually great!

Food: Where to begin! The menu is really diverse with some great options. They have steaks, burgers, pizza, pasta, wraps, salads, soups, incredible appetizers, desserts, and a full drink bar. My recommendation would be to go for pizza, a burger with blue cheese, or one of the wraps. I usually don't order appetizers at restaurants but I ALWAYS do here...they have deep fried pickles (do it..just do it...), amazing cheesy garlic bread, mozzarella sticks to die for, cinnamon twists with cream cheese dipping (heaven), and a few other great options.
BREAKFAST is my favorite time to come here. The cinnamon roll french toast is perfect...so are the huckleberry pancakes. Hash browns are always wonderful, oatmeal is great, the cinnamon roll is fantastic....you get the picture!

Food criticism: My biggest complaint is that there are hardly any vegetarian options. It is possible to modify a few dishes but they aren't always super respectful of it. Another really big downside is that it is SUPER clear that the dishes are major calorie-bombs...huge portions, lots of fried-ness, lots of butter, lots of cheese, lots of dressings...if you are trying to be healthy or watch your intake, don't come here. Even the salads are covered with everything. Delicious, but definitely not dieter-friendly unless you opt for a plain side salad. My suggestion is to split a plate because portions are HUGE. :)

2  Thank espressodoll
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Great food in good sized portions. I ordered the appetizer of fried pickles and the dinner of chicken fried steak. It was all very yummy and ended up bringing leftovers home. Cute establishment but parking is a little hard as it's right off Main Street.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Good food. Went for breakfast. I can't remember having better pancakes anywhere. They tasted like cake! They have a small gift shop, which turned out to be the only place I bought souvenirs on our trip. The service was a little slow the morning we went, but it is a nice comfortable place to enjoy a meal. Plenty of room, nice booths. I definitely would recommend this eatery. Open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Service: is friendly & the place is clean.
Food: The classic breakfast was good but my potatoes were under done. Dinner Cobb salad nothing fancy with iceburg & toppings. The two of us split a salad they are big. Asked for no onions & olives & it came with both. The waitress never said sorry for that or even noticed but it was super busy. Where they hit it out of the park is pizza & pie. Why can't a restaurant just focus on what they are good at be different & don't serve so many mediocre choices, stick with the good stuff.

1  Thank redredles