“Casual Atmosphere, good burgers & pizza”
Review of The Outpost

The Outpost
Ranked #2 of 12 Restaurants in John Day
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Reasonably priced, local feel, friendly staff. The restaurant feels like an old west-y gift shop when you come in, menu surprisingly diverse, they offer a number of salads, but not a ton of "healthy options" if that's what you're looking for. I went for the Diablo Burger - fresh, local beef grass fed in Eastern Oregon - delicious. Tasty milkshakes too!

Reviewed 18 June 2014

The service was truly bad..... a nice enough lady, but she screwed up the order and all I ordered was a beer, pizza and a salad, I never did see the salad.... and had she ever come back to the table I probably would have had a 2nd beer it was excellent....

The food was good and I truly enjoyed the beer unfortunately the staff need a lot of work.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Outpost has been a great meeting place for groups as well as as the times you just don't want to cook. Last week dinner after 7 PM we went to the Outpost. They were busy and the atmosphere was very upbeat and staff were attentive. The cobb salad is a great value with the variety of chicken, avocado, bacon, cheese crumbles, tomato and lettuce. Just the right size for a summer evening. Hubby had the senior steak dinner, and it was just the right size too. Very enjoyable evening.

Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Ate supper and breakfast here. Pizza was very good, breakfast too. The hash browns, eggs, and gravy breakfast was a real winner. Coffee was always topped off. Service was friendly. Didn't have too wait. The restaurant was filled with folks botg fir breakfast and dinner. Never heard any complaints. Definitely eat here again.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

I have grown up in John Day and have been eating here since I can remember, I know most of the employees, and I have tried almost everything on the menu at some point...so here is my verdict

Atmostphere: the restaurant is super cute and has a great, open atmosphere. I hate it when places are too small/crowded but The Outpost isn't at all. You wouldn't expect such a large layout in a small town but they have it! The decor is outdoorsy and really gives a feel for John Day as a town.

Service: Okay, service is a complete hit and miss here. I have had excellent servers that I just want to invite to sit down with me because they are so awesome and I have also had very standoffish and rude ones. If it is busy, expect to be patient because service isn't super fast if it is. However, on the other hand, if it is very slow, the service is usually great!

Food: Where to begin! The menu is really diverse with some great options. They have steaks, burgers, pizza, pasta, wraps, salads, soups, incredible appetizers, desserts, and a full drink bar. My recommendation would be to go for pizza, a burger with blue cheese, or one of the wraps. I usually don't order appetizers at restaurants but I ALWAYS do here...they have deep fried pickles (do it..just do it...), amazing cheesy garlic bread, mozzarella sticks to die for, cinnamon twists with cream cheese dipping (heaven), and a few other great options.
BREAKFAST is my favorite time to come here. The cinnamon roll french toast is perfect...so are the huckleberry pancakes. Hash browns are always wonderful, oatmeal is great, the cinnamon roll is fantastic....you get the picture!

Food criticism: My biggest complaint is that there are hardly any vegetarian options. It is possible to modify a few dishes but they aren't always super respectful of it. Another really big downside is that it is SUPER clear that the dishes are major calorie-bombs...huge portions, lots of fried-ness, lots of butter, lots of cheese, lots of dressings...if you are trying to be healthy or watch your intake, don't come here. Even the salads are covered with everything. Delicious, but definitely not dieter-friendly unless you opt for a plain side salad. My suggestion is to split a plate because portions are HUGE. :)

2  Thank espressodoll