“Great take out” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grubsteak Mining Co.

Grubsteak Mining Co.
Ranked #4 of 12 Restaurants in John Day
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Harker Heights, Texas
“Great take out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

We all ordered something different, anywhere from burgers to chicken to salads, and everything was great!! The service was prompt and very pleasant!!

Visited July 2014

Coos Bay, Oregon
“Good place for $ 1 tacos”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

We came here because my father lives in this town and he recommended the taco's and the chicken wings which were tasty. They have a pretty extensive menu and also a lounge area in back of the restaurant. They have hard or soft shell tacos for $ 1 and they are tasty. We also shared some finger steaks and chicken wings which were very tasty. If you are looking for a cheap and good meal this is it.

Visited July 2014
Seattle
“Descent/OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I didn't see the other reviews, though I wish I had. This is a small town, so not many choices here, plus I have a lot of food allergies. If they had a kid's menu we weren't offered one for our kid. Waitress wasn't mean, but she was just neutral. I had the prime rib, which was actually pretty good. My husband had the ribs, which he shared with our child, and neither one of them liked them. They didn't fall off the bone, it had a tough membrane, and neither my husband or child liked the sauce much. Thankfully I had ordered the largest cut of prime rib, so I shared it with them, who agreed it was tender and had good flavor.

• Visited May 2014
“Don't go here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

I thought this place could not be as bad as it was reviewed..but I was wrong! Worst ever is correct!
Steak was flavorless and grisseled. Veggie(corn) was microwaved beyond taste. Red wine was vinegar! Salad was edible but boring.
I felt sorry for the waitress. She was totally embarrassed but friendly.
Do not eat here! DQ burger would be better from across the street!

Visited May 2014
Corvallis, Oregon
“Worst meal ever!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

We ate here Monday evening with my sister and her husband to celebrate her birthday a couple days early. Expecting a wonderful steak in cattle country, I ordered a steak med. rare. What I got was a chunk of meat with a big strip of gristle down the middle--cut very thin on one end and a chunk on the other. Definitely not restaurant quality. The salmon soup appeared to be a cup of broth with oil floating on the top. No one at our table would even taste it. We told the waitperson that it was not eatable and she asked if we wanted her to take it away. We said yes; she did not offer a replacement. The rice pilaf came in a small dish and was undercooked to the point that it had to be chewed if eaten. Another small dish contained canned corn. It was honestly the worst meal we have experienced in a restaurant. Although we sent back the soup and rice, the bill was not adjusted. The steak went home with my sister for their dog. The waitress may have been new and untrained. She did not clear the soup/salad dishes from the table and when she brought the main course, we had to remove and hold the dirty plates while she placed the entree. It was a big disappointment! In fairness, we have eaten at this restaurant previously and it was not too bad. There are certainly a couple of good places to eat in John Day; one was not open that evening.

• Visited April 2014