“Comfortable, clean and friendly place to stay”

Best Western John Day Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in John Day
Reviewed 24 June 2012

This is one of the better Best Westerns we've stayed at. The rates are good. Our room was a suite on the bottom floor. The room was spacious, clean, quiet and the beds were super comfortable. The staff was friendly and the location was within walking distance of food and shops. The pool was nice. The continental breakfast was fairly standard. I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 24 June 2012

This is a standard Best Western that serves a standard breakfast.

We were assigned room 208 which is a dark main room with a cheerful bedroom that happens to overlook a building containing a boiler that goes on an off during the night wakening us and our neighbors.

When I (and others I heard) asked about the source of the noise, the desk clerk said it was the boiler expressing no concern or offering no apology that it disturbed our sleep. We found this cavalier attitude to be extremely annoying. In many decades of travel, this is the first time a hotel clerk showed no concern that we failed to get the sleep we paid for.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in which you will not be disturbed by the boiler room.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wonderfulworld
Reviewed 23 June 2012

The first night they put me in a room where the propane pipes apparently clang a lot. I had specfically asked for a quiet room. Then late that night they moved me to another room. It also had long clanging noises. Even better, it smelled like smoke, and some guy came in at 1 am while I was trying to sleep. Apparently the night shift didn't inform the other shift that I had changed rooms.

The third room they put me in was great. But why did I have to go through all that? And even though they moved me both times I asked, they never apologized or anything. They even said "Oh, we know about 118 and the pipes." If they know about it, why do they keep putting folks in there?

On the plus side, the pool and hot tub were great. Its central location to John Day and restaurants within walking distance was convenient. If you're a sound sleeper, you'll like this place just fine.

Room Tip: Stay away from 118
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank cheytull
Deborah H, General Manager at Best Western John Day Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2017

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future. I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience.

Reviewed 15 June 2012

Clean and comfortable, conveniently located to visitor attractions. Good breakfast, excellent coffee. Staff was friendly and helpful. The Lobby has copies of local menus to help narrow down dinner choices. Air conditioner cooled well but was noisy. Our room was close to Highway 26 and traffic noise was an issue. On-site parking spaces are narrow and insufficient in number, although nearby street parking is available. We will say here again but in a room farther back from the highway.

Room Tip: Request a top floor room away from the highway.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family

Thanks for the great review. I'm glad to hear you had a good experience. Thanks for choosing Best Western John Day Inn and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 15 April 2012

The rooms are claen and of average size, bed is comfortable and the rates are quite good. It is just off of US 26 and you can walk to a couple of restaurants. Very helpful staff that made reservations for us at Snaffle Bit dinner house
Continental breakfast was pretty standard fare

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Deborah H, Front Office Manager at Best Western John Day Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2017

Thank you for such a kind review. We are glad the staff was helpful and breakfast was good. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 14 March 2012

I stayed here in late February and have to thank the hotel for their great job. Everything was great, clean nice rooms, good internet, hot brekafast, and front desk was able to fax things and make copies as well. I will use you guys again when I'm back in town.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank T0m0nther0ad
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Consistently clean and friendly with continental breakfast. I have never had a bad night's sleep here. It isn't fancy, just a great place to rest and recharge before you head out traveling in Eastern Oregon or heading back to Portland metro. The continental breakfast had some interesting choices, such as Little Debbie donut sticks which I've never tried but chuckled when I saw them...they would be total gut bombs, but hey their just not my thing. I'm more of a fresh fruit and oatmeal type girl, but I love to see how other people eat when they travel. There are plenty of other offerings and many of them are healthy here, so don't let that sway you from staying at this nice establishment. I love to stay here and walk around John Day, which is a lovely little town. I have always encountered super nice staff here and they are so friendly and helpful. Couldn't ask for nicer people!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank 913Kiki28

Been to Best Western John Day Inn? Share your experiences!