“Go down two blocks, take a left, look for the neon sign”
Review of Hot Lake Springs

Hot Lake Springs
Ranked #2 of 13 things to do in La Grande
Pendleton, Oregon
“Go down two blocks, take a left, look for the neon sign”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

If you mugs are look'in for a slick upscale stamped out hotel room like you find in the alleys and by ways of every city in America this isn't it.

When my bro needed a place to lay low with his dame for a little private celebration, this was it. I saw to that.

It's a blast from the past. It's history come to town with bells on. It's being immersed in an "experience" you can't find anyplace else. I know a guy, who knows a guy, that knows a guy who can tell you how to get here.

The guys and dolls that run this joint are "the heat". They'll take care of you while you're here and see you aren't bothered.

Yeah, it's haunted all right. But if you're weak of heart what would you be do'in here anyway ya mug?

My pal author Derek Pell said once: "You've wandered into some strange new territory. Mean streets after hours, where jazz and noir are swirling , and mysteries drift like the smoke from a discharged 6-shot .38 snub nose. You've stopped in the middle of a genre without a name." I checked out the place he was talk'in about. You might check out Hot Lake.

Visited October 2013

Red Deer, Canada
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Hot Lake Springs”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We enjoyed a tour of the museum and facility along with a visit with David Manuel. His art in bronze is amazing. Lee's passion for the project is fantastic. I would love to have one of their bronze's. One of these days.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Lars27
Heppner
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Great history and art, very poor experience.”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

When we visited Hot Springs Lake over two years ago, we had a truly unique experience. Lee ushered us into David's studio where we were privileged to watch him work and hear him tell the history of the piece he was sculpturing and took pictures. We bought three bronze sculptures, one we took with us and ordered the other two that were still in clay form, of which we paid for in full. Lee was extremely pleasant and helpful through this process. She explained that our bronze would be done in about 7 or 8 months. We were willing to wait for such beautiful pieces.

In 7 months we began to contact Lee to see when our bronze would be ready. And that began the long drawn out process to receive what we had paid for. We wrote e-mails and left many messages for Lee to return our calls, with little or no communication from her or anyone on the staff. The few times we actually were able to speak personally with Lee, she would give us a timeline that came and went without receiving our bronze.

After two years and no satisfaction, we unfortunately had to hire a lawyer. After a letter from him, a date was set to pick up our bronze. We called the day before to make certain it was ready for us to pick up since we would have over a three hour drive. Kelly told us yes it was ready. When we arrived, we were informed by Kelly that it was not ready. We ended up waiting four hours before we were given our bronze that we had already waited over two years for. Lee snubbed us but her son, Larry was a very pleasant young man who took a lot of time with us and explained the process. He apologized for our long wait and we very much appreciated his honesty and caring attitude. The staff were also pleasant enough, but they are not in charge of the business end, Lee is the decision maker and business head of this family. She needs to change her tactics if she truly cares about her customers and have a successful endeavor.

We understand the difficulty this family is having with such a huge project, but all we asked for was some communication and honesty from Lee. Our originally pleasant experience turned sour very quickly and we will never go back to Hot Springs Lake Resort. This is most unfortunate and we genuinely hope and pray for the Resort's success.

Visited November 2012
9 Thank Bonnie_E271
Marsing, Idaho
“Going back in time!”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

If you want a really unique experience this is the place gor you. 5 atar hotel? No, but plenty atmosphere. Each room uniquely decorated. Food was ery tasty and plentiful. The museum was wonderful, as was exploring the whole 3 floors. We met David Manuel and his vivacious wife, Lee. We were very fortunate to be there during the off season and had a lot of freedom to roam around. Highly recommend a stay there. Everyone was super nice and all the little extras were wonderful.

Visited September 2013
Seattle, Washington
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“ATTITUDE on Steroids”
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I had a really nasty email exchange with a person who apparently has the authority to speak for the business. I am a retiree who is fortunate to be quite stable financially. I wrote an email stating that $25 for day use of the hot springs is ridiculousy high and that I would just drive by. This is the reply I received: "Thank you....that's how its suppose to work."

The intimation is that the prices are set to weed out the riff raff. It all went downhill from there. I responded with a comment of snobbery, which I think it is, and, in the ensuing emails was informed I should get a job and maybe I could scrape up $25. I noted my circumstances and received the following:

Wonderful.....we are so disappointed to not have had
the privilege of becoming acquainted with such an expert
Business advisor, mathematician, museum volunteer,
Hot springs specialist, As well as a people greeter.
We look forward to meeting you some day.
I can tell your (sic) full of personality, you are fun.
Travel safe...

SNOB, with a little sense of humor

Obviously, I will not be be driving bythis resort. Make sure you are of their preferred caliber prior to making application to stay at this place. I still think $25 for day use is prohibitive. This individual did nothing to inform me of why he or she thinks the service is worth it. I could have been convinced. Might have been "Lee," the person cited in 85oceanic's review below.

Visited August 2013