“Enjoyed our stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in La Grande
omaha
“Enjoyed our stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

The hotel looked new (or newly remodeled) and the lobby and breakfast area was clean. Our room was very clean. Did not hear any noise from the hall or surrounding rooms. Breakfast was your typical continental fare but was good. Staff was friendly.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
gm.silg, Manager at Americas Best Value Sandman Inn, responded to this review, 26 September 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, all of our staff enjoy reading all of them to better assist with meeting all of our guests needs! Thank you for staying with us!!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Portland, OR
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Unfortunately, what is a very nice property becomes tainted when you look at your bank statement/credit card billling. This hotel has a nasty practice of pre-authorizing a significant portion of your stay immediately on the day of arrival BEFORE YOU EVEN CHECK IN! They also over bill your stay at check out 20% and when we called to complain stated that it could take 10-15 days for the funds to become available again from the account. Absolute nonsense. I travel globally for business and NEVER have I experienced a hotel that has such irresponsible billing practices.

Like I began with, it is unfortunate. The property is clean, well maintained and has friendly staff. The value (if as advertised and without deceptive billing practices) is also good. We would have recommended and stayed here again but after finding out about the billing will never stay here again and advise others to do the same.

We are now pursuing action with our bank and hopefully they will either force the property to bill legitimately or restrict their ability to accept cards in the future.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank kenm323
gm.silg, Manager at Americas Best Value Sandman Inn, responded to this review, 30 October 2015
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review for our motel, all of the staff enjoy reading all reviews to give us our guests opinions about our property, so we know what it is we need to work on! Thank You again for choosing ABVI La Grande for your stay!

Travellers are raving about these La Grande hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

This room was listed as a nonsmoking room but reeked of smoke. Had a poor continental breakfast with toast and bad muffins. Staff was not helpful they had to search for ten minutes to find our reservation. Would not come back here again!

• Stayed June 2014
Boise, Idaho
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

I typically do not write online reviews, but am writing this one in hopes someone may avoid future issues.

The main reason we stayed here was that they were only hotel in town that allowed pets that had availability the night we were in town. What a mistake it ended up being.

I had to make my reservation over the phone to check on the pet policy and made a reservation for one night. Upon arrival, the young man working the front barely said two words, only asking me to fill out our car information (I later found out this same slip had our reservation mistaken for two nights on it). In the morning I went to check out and nobody was at the front desk. I rang the bell and waited for a couple minutes. With nobody in sight, I left our keys on the front desk and left. Had somebody come to the desk, perhaps our issue of a mistaken extra night could have been solved at that point. A few days later I noticed my card had been charged for more than double what I expected. I gave it a few days to see if it adjusted for some type of hold, and finally a week later I called to check on the issue. The general manager (who was fairly attentive aside from originally sending the copy of my check in info to the wrong email address given to her over the phone and despite the fact that her help accomplished nothing) said that the original reservation was made for two nights and that housekeeping had a record of cleaning it both days. I requested that she send my check in document on which I wrote our car information which she explained to me included the wrong reservation information. Upon receiving and reviewing this, I asked the general manager if there was a way to request the second night charges be reversed considering the entire situation. She "checked with the accounting department" and said the charges could not be reversed.

As for the hotel itself, it was older but in decent shape. However, due to the wrong reservation, and the poor staff while there, we will definitely not be staying here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jarrett R
Estacada, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

I knew I didn't need a fancy place to stay since this was for one night and I would have to leave the next morning. I was very amazed at my room. I had a king room on the first floor. The room had a sofa, desk, tv, refrigerator, coffee pot and small microwave. The room was clean and impressive. The only downfall was the smell, It smelled like someone had poured too much carpet freshener into the carpet. It even made my eyes burn, this could have also been mixed in with the fact that I had driven 4.5 hours and was tired as well. There are 3 fast food restaurants that you can walk to, but plenty of other restaurants within driving distance. The location is quiet and less than 5 minutes from downtown La Grande. They have an indoor pool. I did not have their breakfast because I wanted a breakfast with protein included. I do agree with another reviewer as it is difficult to enjoy a small continental breakfast when the hotel across the street boasts waffles and cinnamon rolls. The young man that checked me in was pleasant. Overall for a quick business trip this was a nice place to stay and worth the price.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

The standard King room was spacious, clean, and quiet. It included a small sofa, work desk, coffee pot, and refrigerator. Lots of electrical outlets. The man at the front desk was very helpful, friendly, and efficient when we checked in. He even called the room a little while later just to ask if anything was needed and to wish a good night. A nice touch. If the TV were a newer flat screen with HDMI instead of the old tube model, I'd give the room full marks.

The only other negative for me was that the included breakfast was continental, meaning not much beyond cold cereal and coffee or juice. The motel sign across the street taunted us waffles and cinnamon rolls! The staff said they have a kitchen being remodeled soon that will enable them to offer a much better breakfast in the future.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
B.C.Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

We stayed one night going to Vegas area and one night back with Tour bus.

Michael at desk refused our ONE bus,the driver had to go back and get him to DOUBLE check.. 1/2 hour wasted with us all being tired travelers. Then he has hard time finding a Room for Us (not on his list) grrrrrr . and because we got nervous he got RUDE.
Then after we get in our room, another guest with his dog is given our room also... What a Joke.. Not impressed with him as a Desk staff person,sorry to say.

Requests were all mixed up with almost everyone on the bus on the return day. Non smokers getting smoking rooms, visa versa..etc. etc.

We have been to this hotel before,when things worked much better with a bus load of people.

Rooms were clean, with coffee maker in room. and supplies good.

Even though the lobby sitting area is getting a redo.. they still supplied Cont.breakfast for us which was a nice surprise..

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends